Ukrainian "Guardian" Tank Supporting Vehicle

Oleksandr

Gentlemen it is "Arms & Security" time of the year, Ukrainian military technologies are represented in both Kiev (Ukraine) and Washington D.C. right now at this moment. One of the greatest news today is that cooperation between the United States and Ukraine is increasing. That is real good news for me and pretty much everyone who stands against tyranny and imperialism of the reds. Now we all know that for the past decade russians were working on their "terminator" vehicle which was clamed as "one of a kind." But we all live in a modern world and modern world is changing every day. Few days ago Ukraine showed its version of a tank supporting vehicle. As you can see first version of this monster is standing on T-64 base. Firepower delivered by "Duplet" complex which includes: 2x 30 mm automatic cannons (3TM-1), 2x 7,62-mm MG's (KT), 30-mm automatic GL, and 4x AT "Barrier" launchers. This is the very first version of it, obviously final version will share modern dynamic defence, it will be modified in all possible ways and after all the testing will be done this thing will be avaliable on a market for our Western partners as well as to Ukrainian Military itself. No countries from opposing blocks will be able to have their hands on it and that is super awesome. I'm guessing that countries such as Poland are also actively working on things like this, and we as Ukrainians will make sure to deliver this point to the United States as well. Right now we all live in times when our armies should be upgraded, experiences shared and new approaches implemented. So as a proud Ukranian I'm saying to you guys, "Glory To Ukraine" and wish you all to keep your lands free of occupants and united. P.S. to all those who will "hate" - guys Ukraine is getting stronger every day - deal with it (oh im sorry you cant actually deal with it you can only face it lol).

80b21b20c2add3708f1664b69a1e7731.jpg

4761469_original-1000x750 (1).jpg

dsc9683.jpg

By the way following those wonderful news - New Generation of BTR-4 is coming. Those of you who are lucky to live in Washington D.C. can actually see those things right now. There massive military exhibition going on in Washington right now and there are some stuff from Ukraine represented there. (photos are from Kiev though)

4760153_original.jpg

4760705_original.jpg

If you will follow this link right here you will see "Arms & Security 2017 - Day 2" video what will show and tell you more about some of those wonderful things what were presented this year. 

This video will be good for you my dear friends because its basically on english and you will need no translation. 

Here is a direct link to that video (or you can see it from here): 

Not sure it's so exciting. It's just a prototype. A decent one for sales purposes. 

So the UKR can build a vehicle that's similar in capability and design to a Russian one - not that great a surprise, considering almost all mechanized/tracked UKR vehicles are originally Russian desugn & build. I haven't heard that it's getting officially  adopted by the UKR armed forces. Or even a proper test batch. Or even any sales to anyone.

Until then it's essentially a sales pitch. 

Looks nice, certainly. Effective, probably.

But still just a demo model. 

Do you have specs, details, user experience accounts? 

Edited by kinophile

34 minutes ago, kinophile said:

Not sure it's so exciting. It's just a prototype. A decent one for sales purposes. 

So the UKR can build a vehicle that's similar in capability and design to a Russian one - not that great a surprise, considering almost all mechanized/tracked UKR vehicles are originally Russian desugn & build. I haven't heard that it's getting officially  adopted by the UKR armed forces. Or even a proper test batch. Or even any sales to anyone.

Until then it's essentially a sales pitch. 

Looks nice, certainly. Effective, probably.

But still just a demo model. 

Do you have specs, details, user experience accounts? 

Doubt it has a turret built out of a cardboard and needs some other vehicle to tug it across the square - other than that there can only be similarities with Soviet technology, much of which was designed at ukrainian KMDB anyway (like T64 it uses as a base)

On 10/12/2017 at 11:25 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The turret hatches aren't brilliantly placed, the reactive armour is massively outdated, the external missiles are unprotected.....But it looks like a Terminator so it must be cool!  :P

Discussing ONLY the BMPT....

Totally agree with you on all those points. 

Is it just me or does it seem like someone is trying too hard to cram every single weapon they can think of on here? Is this the "age of the Mechwarrior"?? <_< 

How often are you going to have a target that cannot be dealt with by the twin 30's (which I like) or a single co-ax 7.62 MG? Why 2 co-ax MG's... AND a 30mm AGL?

The missiles make perfect sense for dealing with tanks, etc. But there has to be a better way to mount/protect them! They look slapped on as an afterthought.

This is NOT a "spacious" vehicle so....having 4 DIFFERENT weapons types HAS to come at the expense of ammo storage. Better to use the interior space set aside for the AGL ammo, to carry more for the autocannons. Honestly...WHAT besides an MBT...cannot be dealt with by those twin autocannons???

If that odd looking square box is the sighting system...then it looks poorly designed for anything other than straight ahead. No traverse. Not even any ability to elevate so the auto-cannons can be used against upper story buildings or helicopters. The vehicle has blind spots in every direction NOT directly in front of the turret facing. :blink: And...the sight stands out too much as an inviting target. 

All this being said....I am highly supportive of any and all improvements to the Ukrainian military and it's defense industries! There is some real potential in the equipment they are displaying at this expo. But as for this PARTICULAR vehicle...they need to totally re-think it's design before going any further.

Just my opinion...

I don't know how things are on the Ukrainian twin 30mm installation, but our twin 30 is one gun HE and one gun AP. Both guns are fed from a separate ammo bin. So in effect it would still be one 30mm gun per target type. Not that impressive. 

Also that "new generation" BTR-4 is so 2013 with an up-armoring kit. Not to say I don't like it, but it is far from a new concept. 

Edited by BTR

I agree.  These proposed improvements to Ukraine's arsenal, if they happen and happen on a large scale, would not change Ukraine's overall capabilities against Russia's top end forces.  I'd go even further to say that Ukraine would be foolish to upgrade its forces on a grand scale with this stuff.  There's a base cost for upgrading (training, logistics, time, etc.) and this simply isn't worth that cost.  Better to put money aside for something that would have more of a practical impact, like expanded AT and AA missiles.  Or something like this...

https://inforesist.org/ukraina-vpervyie-pokazala-na-vyistavke-umnyiy-snaryad/

Apparently Ukraine is in a position to do domestic production of a laser guided 122mm artillery round.  This is the sort of thing Ukraine needs more of, not outdated equipment upgraded with outdated improvements.

With that said, a moderate scale introduction of some of these things for use against Russia's proxy forces in Donbas would be useful.  The reason is that Russia only keeps 2nd and 3rd line equipment in Donbas on a regular basis, so having a BTR-4 could give them a tactical advantage.  Even if just in mechanical reliability.  Because Ukraine seems to be content with small scale tactical engagements ("Creeping Offensive") I'd even call limited upgrades "a smart idea" even if it's all for naught if Russia puts its 1st line forces back into Donbas on a large scale (Debaltseve and summer 2014).

Notice I have the same argument about Russian forces.  Upgrading a few units with Armata does nothing to change Russia's ability to fight against NATO.  It does, however, ensure that it can clobber any of its neighbors armed with aging Soviet junk.

Steve

A good deal of these projects, I suspect, are not meant to be 'revolutionary advancements' but simply replacing worn-out equipment with something pragmatic and functional. You've got to replace what's falling apart with something. The higher-end stuff they're selling for export and using the proceeds to fund their own modest improvements. Indonesia is now operating the BTR-4M APC.

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

I'd go even further to say that Ukraine would be foolish to upgrade its forces on a grand scale with this stuff.

Alas, our MoD considers, that junk upgrading is cheapest way to increase ground forces capability. And when developers are proposing new vehicles, MoD says: "Sorry guys, this is cool, but we have only xx of money for new equipment, we can't to buy it in proper quantities. You should develop something like BTR-4/ Oplot/etc on the base of mathballed T-64A/R, MTLB, BTR-60 and BMP-1". Ok, engineers answering - they are making demonstrators for next exhibition, MoD and UOP officials are walking between "new" APCs, saying "well, this is interesting... but too much expensive anyway". In result army received only badly repaired and good-painted junk, which failing in critical situations. How much were happens, when tasks were failing because of engine overheatings, gun jam etc...  

Thogh even in this situation some Ukrainian private companies make interest upgrades, like NPO Praktyka, which have developed apposite armored cars Kozak-2/2M, which already going to Army (mostly like FO vehicles and UAV control stations) and National Guard. On current exposition they are presenting new version of Otaman 8x8 vehicle - with RWS and Otoman 6x6 with turret of BMP-1 (bacause they can't receive three need RWS, they mount BMP -1 turret on Otaman and BTR turret on BMP-1 upgrading). Otaman series (6x6 and 8x8) are deep upgrade of BTR-60

d49b3af21da50935bd296d5783c0a9cf.JPG

About "Guardian". I don't understang agiotage around it. This is just demonstrator with RWS, developed for UAE need (I say about RWS). Developers just say "well MoD, what about THIS conception?" Alas, interest models from Arey design bureau have frozen because of formal conflict with Azov  - deeply we can see desire of some high-ranked politics put own hand on possible new armored vehicles manufacturing - even SBU can't to do nothing, because this will be conflict of inetersts between pro-president force and force of Internal affairs minister. This is Ukraine, babe...  If you can make some interest thinhs and havn't influence protection, you became a victim of raiders.  

Edited by Haiduk

Will we be seeing the Armata family in game soon.....As I understand it, the Russians now have a lot more Armatas than the Ukrainians have BM Oplots.

We could also really do with some T-72 & T-80 variants for both sides, TBH I'd love to see a vehicle pack for CM:BS (which I am quietly beginning to like).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

12 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Will we be seeing the Armata family in game soon.....As I understand it, the Russians now have a lot more Armatas than the Ukrainians have BM Oplots.

Well, it depends on context.  Currently it has only prototypes, nothing production as far as I know.  This summer the Russian MoD said they would have 100 in service by 2020.  But they earlier had said they would have 2300 in service by 2020.  Which is as was expected by those who know Russian/Soviet history and have a basic understanding of finances, manufacturing, and politics.  Here's an article on it:

http://www.businessinsider.com/russia-armata-tank-2017-8

Here is an excellent article written by the always informative Michael Peck.  It goes over the history of Russian/Soviet tank design flaws and why nobody should expect the Armata to perform as Russian propaganda states.  Even if they did build 2300, I mean 100, by 2020 :D

https://scout.com/military/warrior/Article/US-Doesnt-Need-to-Fear-Russias-Armata-Tank-101457613

Steve

The 2300 figure was a misinterpretation, I believe, referring to total vehicles from the Armata family.....I've been following this one with some interest and while it's a rather optimistic projection Russia has surprised us before.  Either way the Armata series would be a fun addition to the game.

The T-72s & T-80s are more important IMHO, both sides have them and the T-72 is used at the front on both sides.....Here are some Ukrainian T-72s:

a8f7b522a552.jpg

Russia has recently announced the new T-80BVM (another one of those surprises):

d1eq0.jpg

The Ukrainians have a rather cool looking T-72 upgrade, T-72AMT:

4533077_original.jpg

4532885_original.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

But in serious wargames things are usually more balanced.  :mellow:

You pays your money.....

My personal take on this after a lot of contemplation is that BF balanced the game according to the data available at the time.  In the intervening years things have changed, plus we've learned a little more; Russia now has long rod DU penetrators, Ukraine doesn't actualy have any BM Oplots, APS really is a thing for the Abrams etc. etc. 

Let's give Steve & Co. chance to catch up and get a few more units in the game before drawing any conclusions.....In the past I've felt US forces were too strong and I steel feel their apparent spotting advantage may be too great, but I'm more open minded about these days and I'm actually starting to enjoy the game.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead