Another reason for a centralized Forum...

Oddly enough, I just read a great article about Crowd Funding and games.  This sums up my earlier point quite well, I think:

Put simply, people who back projects on Kickstarter or IndieGogo often feel like they're buying a product, though in a strictly legal sense that isn't the case. This misconception is understandably commonplace among people donating money, especially when those donations are often incentivised with the promise of a free copy of the finished game. This somewhat misplaced sense of ownership is at the root of a great deal of anger around crowdfunded projects that either fail or underwhelm.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-10-11-equity-crowdfundings-early-success-asks-tough-questions-of-kickstarter

The article discusses a fairly new concept of crowd equity investment.  Interesting, but still not something I think we will ever need.  We're self sufficient, so why get entangled unless it's really necessary?

Steve

30 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Oddly enough, I just read a great article about Crowd Funding and games.  This sums up my earlier point quite well, I think:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-10-11-equity-crowdfundings-early-success-asks-tough-questions-of-kickstarter

The article discusses a fairly new concept of crowd equity investment.  Interesting, but still not something I think we will ever need.  We're self sufficient, so why get entangled unless it's really necessary?

Steve

A misplaced sense of ownership. Yes, that is inevitable and makes life for the makers of a game much, much harder. Still I would be willing to invest some money when it gives me the games I want to play. Couple of hundred or so, not very impressive of course, but it isn't called crowd funding for nothing. Let's hope it won't be necessary for BF.

Anyway, suggestion for CMRT module title: CMPT. Combat Mission Prussian Twilight. Just a thought. :)

Edited by Aragorn2002

46 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Fig is a genuinely something that "makes sense" economically - I have backed two games over there, Pillars of Eternity 2 and Julian Gollop's (XCOM) Phoenix Point.

Indeed, if you don't feel the pinch for pennies, there's no point in getting "entagled" like that :)

Edited by BletchleyGeek

42 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Steve

I'm guessing it would only be if there was a strong desire to expand the existing product dramatically in one direction. Crowdfunding to bring in extra talent for a fixed period to dramatically improve the graphics side of the series or something like that. Essentially tick off those 'would be nice to have' wishlist boxes that would never be feasible for a studio of Battlefront's size. It would probably just be sucking money out of the wallets of the die hard fan base... but hey if the community was willing to put their money where the mouths are to make it happen outside of a regular purchase. But yeah a lot of potential heartache for questionable gain, but at least you'd know whether costs would be covered based on whether the funding target was met or not before being committed.

Edited by Ithikial_AU

Nice stuff. The modern games are of no interest to me, but I am looking forward to the expansions for Italy and Red Thunder. Especially Red Thunder feels a bit "generic" in its present state, with many kind of cookie cutter scenarios. It will be nice to get some more content here.

9 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

I'm guessing it would only be if there was a strong desire to expand the existing product dramatically in one direction. Crowdfunding to bring in extra talent for a fixed period to dramatically improve the graphics side of the series or something like that. Essentially tick off those 'would be nice to have' wishlist boxes that would never be feasible for a studio of Battlefront's size. It would probably just be sucking money out of the wallets of the die hard fan base... but hey if the community was willing to put their money where the mouths are to make it happen outside of a regular purchase. But yeah a lot of potential heartache for questionable gain, but at least you'd know whether costs would be covered based on whether the funding target was met or not before being committed.

Yeah, that is pretty much the only scenario I can think of.  And that would be tricky to pull off because someone has to manage setting up everything for success then making sure things went according to plan.  No matter who we hired, it's our arses on the line so we'd have to be very involved.  This is one reason we're cautious about engaging with militaries.  The NZ contract we have fit in with our existing resources, so it worked out.

9 hours ago, BletchleyGeek said:

Indeed, if you don't feel the pinch for pennies, there's no point in getting "entagled" like that :)

Exactly :D  As said before, there is no such thing as a money tree that requires nothing more than a few shakes to get what you need from it.  Everything comes with downsides and there's HUGE downsides which come with outside funding.  Usually.  Sometimes one gets lucky and finds an Angel who has both money and hands-off attitude.

Steve

When I make a substantial investment in a company, all I'm entitled to is a quarterly prospectus.  I've already done my due diligence and decided that the company merits my confidence and my investment will pay off.

Funny how gamers invest pocket change in game development and think the creators should have them over for beer, bones, and Q and A sessions.

1 hour ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

When I make a substantial investment in a company, all I'm entitled to is a quarterly prospectus.  I've already done my due diligence and decided that the company merits my confidence and my investment will pay off.

Funny how gamers invest pocket change in game development and think the creators should have them over for beer, bones, and Q and A sessions.

Oh, it's not just gamers that have this peculiarity.  It's a well known problem in the food services sector.  "I just paid $5 for this sandwich yet my 13 year old daughter still thinks I suck, and my boss is still clueless about my value to the company, and I didn't have an orgasm.  I want my money back you lying, thieving evil people".  Stand in line at a Walmart Customer Service window long enough and you'll see the same thing there as well.

Some people, a lot in fact, do not understand the concept of a simple purchase transaction.  When you hand someone money you are only entitled to receive goods/services that are offered and required by law.  You are not entitled to anything beyond that.  If another product/service offers a "better" offer, then you should have made the purchase with them.

As I've said since the beginning of Battlefront... our customers are entitled to a game that functions as designed.  They are allowed to ask for more than that, but it should be phrased in the form of a request and not a demand.  Nowhere in our End User License do we grant people permission to be nasty SOBs to us or to each other.  That's definitely not included with the purchase of our products.

Steve

32 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

As I've said since the beginning of Battlefront... our customers are entitled to a game that functions as designed.

Steve

How dare you not pawn off cheaply made, incomplete garbage upon your customers, with the promise to fix it with "Day One DLC"?

Integrity. How old-fashioned!

On 2017-10-12 at 7:25 PM, Battlefront.com said:

6.  CMBS jumped ahead of others with its own Battle Pack, but is owed a Module.  We've been doing them in order of release and that means CMBS is theoretically next after CMRT.  Marines are an obvious selection for the first Module and the work being done for CMSF2 is going to pave the way for that to happen

Steve

Along with the SF2 news, this item really makes me happy. :D

On 10/12/2017 at 1:23 AM, Battlefront.com said:

You will also want to know that Battlefront appreciates the support and dedication of CMSF customers over the past 10 years.  Especially in the first year when we all worked together to make the game engine solid enough to expand upon.  Since nothing shows appreciation better than discounts, we're offering discounts :D  The specifics will be announced as we get closer to release, but for sure it will be far less than theoretical $165 it normally costs to purchase a brand new Base Game ($60) and three $35 Modules. Though I do know for sure the discount price will be a bit more than a $10 Upgrade ;)

So does this mean that people who already have CMSF will get a discount on CMSF2, or will it be cheaper to buy CMSF2 directly when it releases? The only reason I have been holding off on buying CMSF is the imminent release of CMSF2, but if directly purchasing CMSF2 is cheaper, ill go ahead and wait for that. 

Edited by Gkenny

24 minutes ago, Gkenny said:

So does this mean that people who already have CMSF will get a discount on CMSF2, or will it be cheaper to buy CMSF2 directly when it releases? The only reason I have been holding off on buying CMSF is the imminent release of CMSF2, but if directly purchasing CMSF2 is cheaper, ill go ahead and wait for that. 

CMSF2 will have the same pricing as other CM products for newbie customers.  Customers who purchase before X date (yet to be determined, but in the future not the past) get the discount and those after do not.  When that date comes we've got something in mind which should make everybody happy until CMSF2 comes out.

Steve

@Battlefront.com  I know there have been a lot of requests for new and improved features for the game engine, but would it be possible to give us a rough idea of what is possible and or likely by way of developments on this front?  Could the game handle a nominally neutral third side?  Is there a real possibility of persistent map damage? etc. etc.

@Gkenny  The original CM:SF is still a great game, at the current price it is a steal and that's before you look at the humongous volume of user created output in the repository & elsewhere.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead