• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Battlefront.com

Another reason for a centralized Forum...

13 minutes ago, rocketman said:

I would also like to see wrecks remain on map.

It did that too.....Destroyed vehicles stayed put (burning ones, burn out for the next battle), but immobilised vehicles would disappear once your engineers recovered them (there was a setting for vehicle recovery chance, but you had to own the ground they stood on for it to apply).  Then, once they've been repaired, they reappear in your TOE.

I guess you guys are probably seeing why us old fekkers keep wittering on about Persistent Map Damage and Static Campaigns.....They really added a lot of immersion to the game, in fact I'd say they were a big part in getting me hooked from CM:BO onward.  B)

FWIW

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

7 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Yes.  CMSF2 has all the same features as the other games.  Obviously there are some game specific features that aren't available, such as European terrain and housing, but the game code is identical.

so CMSF2 will be a European setting?I am confused

LukeFF   
8 minutes ago, weapon2010 said:

What exactly is confusing? No, it's the same setting as the original CMSF.

10 minutes ago, weapon2010 said:

Steve meant that it will be on par feature wise to CMBS (the other modern CM game) but that it will be in a different setting, Syria. Same features, different locations. 

Any news on new core features like dedicated 2v2 or coop play, this would take the game to the next level and in line with a great many modern games.

Also making the breifing text readable or at least fit the full screen res (enlarged).

7 hours ago, rocketman said:

One example would be @Ithikial_AU's campaign "Lions of Carpiquet", which is excellent but the immersion is somewhat lost when houses reappear, craters disappear (a lot of them in this campaign). I would also like to see wrecks remain on map.

Yeah it was always in the back of my mind and would have been the big reason not to attempt to recreate Operation Windsor given the static nature of the 36 hour engagement, but the Vehicle Pack release and the new shiney toys made it all the more worth while. If the player follows the barrage instruction in the second mission, it should be roughly close to what you see in later missions but it was never going to be exact to the ruined version of Carpiquet map I made for later missions. The other option was just to start on a ruined map but that would take away from some of the atmosphere and be a bit of a break from history in the opening turns as the Canadians marched behind a creeping brrage. One of the sources I read quoted an NCO calling it "World War 1-esque" tactics for a WW2 combined arms battle.

Even some of the BF stock campaigns have hit the same issue. The Scottish Corridor campaign springs to mind. I remember I magically received a free church for hard cover in Gavrus after blasting it to smithereans the mission before. :D Persistent battle damage/wrecks is certainly one of my top wishlist items as someone who likes scenario design (when I get the time :( ).

+1 for persistent scenario damage + wreckage. Close Combat has this but it has a different and more randomized type of campaign than CM.

In all honestly I don't know how much this feature would be used, but it would be awesome and super immersive to have.

Retreat to a previously captured zone and find that the building you had to destroy last time could be really useful now would be a lot of fun.

3 hours ago, Destraex1 said:

Any news on new core features like dedicated 2v2 or coop play

I agree, I would love to see co-op capability added to the game, even if at first it was just co-op against the AI. However I remember Steve saying that this is one of those things that isn't worth the amount of time and effort required to get it into the game in the near future. Hopefully we will eventually see it, but it won't be anytime soon. 

As to the persistent map damage, I too would love to see this feature. With it, you could essentially improv campaigns on the fly, among the many other things people have already mentioned. However, Steve did say in his post that persistent map damage is a feature they have shelved,  as in they aren't planning on doing it anytime soon. Again, hopefully in the future it will make its way into the game, but that probably wont be for a while. 

Cobetco   

i'm probably the odd man out here, but i'd like to see a more robust fortification system. have mortar pits, maybe camo nests for machine guns, and yeah i know the game already kinda simulates that, but i'm an artist, so visuals matter to me to an extent. i'd also like a "use grenades" command for building assaults, rather than a target command wasting rifle/smg ammo. oh an illumination rounds for night battles would be cool too.

You’re not the odd man out - better representation of fortifications is something I’d like to see as well. 

12 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

[snip]

Even some of the BF stock campaigns have hit the same issue. The Scottish Corridor campaign springs to mind. I remember I magically received a free church for hard cover in Gavrus after blasting it to smithereans the mission before. :D [snip]

That's what I call divine intervention :)