The Peng Challenge Thread: We Were Here When It All Began

Seanachai

22 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Wha?  Nidan1 was a good man to have around, whether it be here on the public forums or in the backroom with the tester lads.  He will be missed for sure.

I made a condolence post to his family's memory page, but if you can think of anything else we can do Stikky, let me know.

Crap, now I have to retire his testing account logins.  That's not something I've had to do before.

Steve

Not really, it's really. I have been playing the man for over 14 years from back in 2003. It's weird he's gone now.

12 hours ago, OGSF said:

How are ye jarrah floor boards holdin' up, Noba?  

Very well, you Faux Internationalist Git. Mind you, the cat hates it when I chase him and he can't get any purchase.

It's just like in the cartoons with him going all sideways and bouncing off walls.

Noba.

Oi! When did you peek into my house? 

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2018 at 7:14 PM, Boo Radley said:

Spent a long, long time here. Wrote a lot of nonsense. Met a lot of fine folks, some of whom I still talk to. This was a wonderful place, full of wit, panache, bile, horrid jokes, funny songs, idiots and savants.

And dreams. Lots and lots of dreams.

Honestly, back in the day, this thread was pretty incredible. And getting to meet some of these lot in real life, was pretty ok too.

You can blame Berli for bringing me here. Seems a bit weird that he's been gone for almost a year. And Boo, I know deep down, you were writing about me in the post I quoted. Appreciate it.

On 1/3/2018 at 10:21 PM, bauhaus said:

Honestly, back in the day, this thread was pretty incredible. And getting to meet some of these lot in real life, was pretty ok too.

You can blame Berli for bringing me here. Seems a bit weird that he's been gone for almost a year. And Boo, I know deep down, you were writing about me in the post I quoted. Appreciate it.

I don't so much talk to you as at you.

• 3 weeks later...

Aw feck. Entropy sucks. A tip o' me hat to those that have been dragged to the next plane. It makes me sad they're not here, but a bit jealous at what they may have discovered. Life is a story, and the ending sucks, but the sequel is likely amazing. 

Thanks to this thread and the many who made it real. Stuka was my sponsoring Kanniggit, and many were the games I played with Berli and Nidan1.  Their passing, as most do, have diminished this world. I toast those of the MBT who have passed, and all of us who eventually will. Helluva ride, eh?

Oh, and I hate the lot of you. Deeply.

On 1/3/2018 at 7:21 PM, bauhaus said:

Sit down, bauhaus!

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2018 at 9:26 PM, Leeo said:

Aw feck. Entropy sucks. A tip o' me hat to those that have been dragged to the next plane. It makes me sad they're not here, but a bit jealous at what they may have discovered. Life is a story, and the ending sucks, but the sequel is likely amazing. 

Thanks to this thread and the many who made it real. Stuka was my sponsoring Kanniggit, and many were the games I played with Berli and Nidan1.  Their passing, as most do, have diminished this world. I toast those of the MBT who have passed, and all of us who eventually will. Helluva ride, eh?

Oh, and I hate the lot of you. Deeply.

Impossible. You're far too shallow to do anything deeply. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

We stand on the shoulders of giants. And though the giants may have passed into another world, their shoulders lift us up still. I'm here to pay my humble respects to  the Kannigets of old, whether they walk the Earth or lie in it. You, and those like you, create the moments that make this world the wonder that it is.

За тех, кого нет с нами...

v42below

Kiwi/Australian/Russian Knight of House Pawbroon, who never forgot his SSN days. 

• 1 year later...

Ah hell — Berli, Nidan1, Stuka — all good guys whom, on general principles, I despised deeply.  Now they’re gone...and have been for three or four years, actually.  I’m a bit late to the party.

I blame my laptop dying in 2015 and not being arsed to replace it until recently, and then only because somebody needs to thrash Joe Shaw soundly about the head and shoulders.

Dammit.

In any event, rest in peace, lads.

Edited by MrSpkr

• 3 months later...

It is close to 20 years since I discovered CMBO and these forums.  To be honest I tried to dip a toe or two or two in the Peng, but could not navigate the currents.  I do fondly remember many of the originals from back them and am saddened by the passing of individuals that I came to both fear and respect.  Recently I walked down memory lane through the archives and had many laughs at the shared wit, and grimaced at my own attempts to contribute.

As an army brat I grew accustomed to friendships lasting a year or two at best.  To look back and find that I have been part of this community for nearly two decades is truly remarkable.

Edited by MSBoxer