The Peng Challenge Thread: We Were Here When It All Began

Seanachai

I was offered the option of making a tribute to a true original of the Combat Mission Forum:  Dan 'Berlichtigen' Brown.  'Berli', as everyone knew him.  Scenario designer, game tester, map maker, and Old One of the Peng Challenge Thread.  For young people, and for new members of this Forum, that means probably nothing.  For anyone who lived through 'Running with Heavy Machine Guns', 'Bren Tripods' and any number of other weird ass forum topics, he stomped upon the fecking terra.  He was, in fact, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypso.  And you probably don't even know what that means.  

Well, I haven't known what to make of that offer.  It's been 9 months since 'Berli' died of a particularly vicious and aggressive form of leukemia (neither capitalized nor bolded).  The Peng Challenge limps on, and I give full marks to to those who have it on life support.

And now...Now I'm here because I am an Old One of the Peng Challenge Thread, and I have lived so long, and so long with all of this, that I am having to mourn friends more often than an old man should have to mourn them.

Glenn Allan, 'Stuka', Seniour Knight of the Peng Challenge Thread has died, of an extremely aggressive kidney cancer, and brain tumors.  Stuka was one of the Senior Australians of the Peng Challenge Thread, a thread that has always mocked, and embraced it's Australians.

Stuka was, for anyone reading this, probably fecking better than you.  He wasn't an old man.  He was a bloody good Australian.

I would ask, if it is possible, for the Combat Mission guys, if we could have... I don't know...it gets so stupid, trying to find the latest incarnation of the Thread of Threads...if we could have our 'own' space.  Shorn of 'whatever the current game version' is.

Go to your rest, Stuka.  You were one of the first Australians I ever abused.

23 minutes ago, ng cavscout said:

Stuka was a gentleman. I met him for dinner in Qatar in 2006 while on R&R from my deployment to Iraq. He was kind, well spoken, and an all around good fellow.

He will be sorely missed and I raise a toast to him.

May the Gods grant him a gentle passage to his Afterlife.

He's an Oddstraylian for god's sake.  He wouldn't know what to do with a gentle afterlife.  Here's hoping he's having a rip roaring time in whatever follows this midden heap of an existence.  Didn't have the opportunity to know you Stuka, my loss.  Another Oddstraylian I could have kicked, but god speed to you anyway.   

4 hours ago, ng cavscout said:

Stuka was a gentleman. I met him for dinner in Qatar in 2006 while on R&R from my deployment to Iraq. He was kind, well spoken, and an all around good fellow.

Oh I wouldn't call him a gentleman...Aussies aren't gentlemen. But definitely a great dewd and funny guy.

I was lucky enough to have dinner with him down here in Melbourne about 2003? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2017 at 9:27 AM, sburke said:

This is a solemn occasion, don your doody cap 

Feck you, feck the others who've posted the same, and sit up and listen to the GODDAMN LAW.

You useless little pussies post here, and you think you've got something to say.  You don't.  I started this ****ing Thread, years and years ago, and you just wander around here in the ruins, and you post.  If you can't post anything good, then shut the feck up, asshole.  Stuka was a good and great man, for those of us who've posted since before you were more than a a stain on this Thread.  Go ahead.  Tell me that I'm gone, useless, disappeared.  Go ahead and tell me that I'm pointless.  And I will tell you:  I am the Old One of the Peng Challenge Thread.  And that I knew Stuka before you ever masturbated your way onto this thread.  He's gone and dead, but I'm still here, ONE ****ING WAY OR ANOTHER, and it you want to continue to post here, you ass, you'll show some goddamn respect for someone with more achievements than you can show.  Douche.  The best way to start is to post a goddamn apology for the fact that you never knew him.  Cunt.

Well.

Here we are. 17 or more years later. Some of us have died. Some of us still live. I was here for a long time. Then I left. I had nothing else to contribute to the thread that bears my name. I think that is still true. But Berli and Stuka deserved better than what they got. Good men, maybe not the ideal of Gentlemen, but good men nonetheless. They deserved to live longer, see more, do more, **** more, drink more, smoke more and raise more hell than they were allowed. They are missed. But they are still alive in my head. That's all any of us have. Well except for that pillock dalem and the jackass of all trades, the Seanachai. They've got Berli's earthly goods. I say build a monument with them. Build a museum. Build a tribute to Berli, that will last longer than any of us. We are meat. We die. Life goes on.

Can I just say here that I'm glad Methuselah - I mean M. Emrys is still kicking. And that OSGF, our Manky Scot's Git has not given up on his shtick. 

Good night, and good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed this thread until just now.  I blame Joe Shaw for finding it, because I hit RANDOM on my iTunes library and one of nutty podcasts came up.  Interview with Mace, no less.

I'm sorry to hear about Stuka's death.  I remember him as being on The List of people to ignore, thoroughly, because of Peng Challenge Thread guilt-by-association standards we developed here at Battlefront.

I know that many of the MBT members have moved on, figuratively as well as literally, and it's for me to say if that's a good thing or not.  I suppose 99% of the people that visit our Forum feel things have taken a turn for the better, but I dunno... you weren't always all that bad to have hanging out here.

Too all you Peng Challenge Thread participants over the years, I tip my knit cap in your direction.

Steve

On 10/28/2017 at 10:43 PM, Seanachai said:

Eh, I'm an angry Old Man  I feel al little better, knowing that Emrys is still alive.  Emrys still in the world makes me feel a bit better. But most of you lot makes me feel like someone's stollen my underwear.  

Somebody has to clean them once in a while

1 hour ago, stikkypixie said:

In case you haven't heard, I just found out Nidan1 passed away yesterday. I for one will miss him.

Wha?  Nidan1 was a good man to have around, whether it be here on the public forums or in the backroom with the tester lads.  He will be missed for sure.

I made a condolence post to his family's memory page, but if you can think of anything else we can do Stikky, let me know.

Crap, now I have to retire his testing account logins.  That's not something I've had to do before.

Steve