German WW2 SS Camouflage Effectiveness

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-10-08 at 9:23 PM, Ts4EVER said:

It was used in Normandy by one of the Armored Divisions involved in Cobra, as well as the 30th infantry. They got rid of it because of friendly fire, since camo was associated with the Germans.

That's what I remember reading as well. It just wasn't worth the hazard. I think the US Army used some camo gear in the Pacific, as well as the USMC of course.

I've also read somewhere that many Allied troops automatically thought German troops in camo were snipers, since they were one of the few Allied troops (as well as British paratroops) that regularly wore camo in the ETO.  This apparently contributed to a bit of a sniper scare in Normandy when individual German troops left behind were considered snipers and thereby extra dangerous.

(It actually went both ways: there is at least one instance of captured British paratroopers being executed in Normandy, probably because they were mistaken for commandos.)

Edited by Duckman