cbennett88

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/29/2017 at 9:19 PM, Michael Emrys said:

There may be something you're not understanding. In WEGO, I don't believe there is any way to give a unit a Pause order while it is actually moving. You can give a Pause order at any point along its movement path in the Command Phase as long as it is at a Waypoint. If you know something else, please tell me.

Michael

On 9/30/2017 at 7:19 AM, Erwin said:

Ah.  It doesn't work in WEGO.   Didn't get that bit.  (I thought they meant if a unit is moving at the end of a WEGO turn one could then give it a PAUSE so it has an upright stance for the next WEGO minute.)

The Pause to get troops to kneel instead of going prone will work in WEGO.  I did some experimenting with it and cut and pasted my post below from the other thread.

Reference team members upright instead of prone.  This will not work with Slow.  With Hunt you can get every member of the team upright or just half the team.  

1) Give the team a movement order (anything but Slow) they can't complete before the end of the turn.  A 45 second Pause before the team begins its movement will help to keep the team from reaching a close action square.  

2) Next turn cancel the movement and give the team a Pause. The team will stop moving with all team members upright instead of prone. The length of the Pause can be changed if you want the troops to spot for awhile and then go prone.  Give them a 15 second Pause.  They will stop, stay upright for about two spotting cycles and then go prone.  Give them a permanent Pause and they will stay upright the entire turn and longer. 

3) Hunt works a little different but gives you a choice of the entire team upright or just half the team.  For half the team upright use the above method with Hunt.  For the entire team to remain upright on Hunt do not cancel the movement but just give a permanent Pause.   

On 9/29/2017 at 10:30 AM, cbennett88 said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but I have seen examples in game where this is not the case. For example...I had a situation in game where my lone FO (I was playing as Russia) got killed, but his assistant(I think they are usually radio operators) did  a "medic" on him and somehow recovered his laser designator. Hooray for me I thought! Especially since he was my only FO and we all know that the Russians NEED their FOs if they want to get any sort of timely artillery support.

But...No...the assistant was "X'd out" from calling any artillery. I thought to myself..."Then WHY did he bother (and the game allow him?) to recover the laser designator??? <_<  Only time I ever seen that(recover a designator) happen though...

Only certain troops have support calling authority.  This is easier to see in the world war II titles where the authority is much more restricted.  In CMBS almost all US troops have the authority.  However, not as many Russian troops have the same authority.  In the Russian FO team the only team member with authority was the actual FO. 

I don't understand why your Javelin was not firing.  That might have been a bug worth getting to someone like @c3k if you come across it again.  

11 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Only certain troops have support calling authority.

Exactly my understanding also.

But...why let the assistant recover the laser designator? It's not like I even "instructed him" to! How nice would it be if we could instruct each "medic" soldier to..."grab those grenades...and that AT-4...but leave this and that..." :)

Regular infantry cannot "recover" blasting charges from fallen engineers when they give "medic" function. Nor can they pick up a laser designator from a dead FO. I am guessing the game is coded so that troops can only "recover" items they have the ability to use(assuming those items are not damaged). Just seems strange that in that one case, the assistant DID recover the designator. 

2 minutes ago, cbennett88 said:

But...why let the assistant recover the laser designator? It's not like I even "instructed him" to! How nice would it be if we could instruct each "medic" soldier to..."grab those grenades...and that AT-4...but leave this and that..." :)

Yes.  It would be cool if when you clicked on a casualty the Acquire command appeared. 

2 minutes ago, cbennett88 said:

Just seems strange that in that one case, the assistant DID recover the designator. 

BFC does try to make the game realistic.  I'm guessing the dude that picked up the laser designator had signed for it when the team was drawing equipment for their deployment.  :D 

• 4 weeks later...

My Javelins seem to have gone from 'a bit reluctant' to 'absolutely unwilling to fire at anything that isn't a tank', I just had a trio of BTR-82s drive right through the middle of three (beautifully sited, though I do say it myself) Javelin teams who steadfastly ignored them, even when they laid waste to the remainder of the platoon.....Now that just ain't right!  :o

PS - The teams fired 40mm grenades and an AT-4, but would not use their Javelins! 

PPS - Come to think of it these weren't 'teams' they were half-squads (five man) with the Javelin.....Could the infantry components natural reluctance to fire at AFVs be affecting the performance of the Javelin?

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

7 minutes ago, sburke said:

but playtime of CMBS scenarios has been short. 

Likewise, even with my limited play I'd already noticed they were very sparing compared to the sort of carnage they inflict in CM:SF, but this was mad, three BTR-82s in sight of three teams.  Obviously they were well within range as they eventually drove right through the middle of the lot!  I was playing WeGo and they were never in sight during the order phase, so I couldn't use a 'Target' command, have to admit it caused a rage quit, but IIRC I've got a save just prior.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Had another check myself, annoyingly the save file was made just before I gave the Javelin teams their move orders, so I can't exactly replicate their positions.....IIRC one of the BTRs was parked in full sight of at least one team for a good 30 seconds at somewhere around 80-120m.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

cbennett88,

If Scouts in Strykers are the same as Scouts in Bradleys, then I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to use javelins just fine. My Bradley CFV dismounts had no trouble whatsoever in using theirs, though I was in the prepared defense, rather than attacking. When I wasn't in my original positions, it was because I was forced to displace because of incoming fire or loss of LOS for various reasons.

Regards,

John Kettler

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:31 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Had another check myself, annoyingly the save file was made just before I gave the Javelin teams their move orders, so I can't exactly replicate their positions.....IIRC one of the BTRs was parked in full sight of at least one team for a good 30 seconds at somewhere around 80-120m.

Not excusing the Javelin behavior, but, you are aware it has a minimum range? (~75m) That may have had something to do with it. Certainly seems odd.

On 10/30/2017 at 12:19 AM, John Kettler said:

cbennett88,

If Scouts in Strykers are the same as Scouts in Bradleys, then I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to use javelins just fine. My Bradley CFV dismounts had no trouble whatsoever in using theirs, though I was in the prepared defense, rather than attacking. When I wasn't in my original positions, it was because I was forced to displace because of incoming fire or loss of LOS for various reasons.

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks John

That would be my expectation too. I understand that the TO& E of the Stryker scout teams doesn't give them Javelins so I  "stole them" from the other vehicles. ;) It was just weird to me that, in addition to being unable to get the scouts to actually USE them, visually examining the soldiers up close, didn't even show them being carried! But any carried AT-4s showed up on their backs just fine. 

I am of the opinion that it was a random glitch. Maybe some byte of data just got "misplaced"  during the loading of the game.

22 hours ago, c3k said:

Not excusing the Javelin behavior, but, you are aware it has a minimum range? (~75m) That may have had something to do with it. Certainly seems odd.

An online source quotes a minimum engagement distance of 150 metres. PLus for the IR sight DDC (Detector Dewar Cooler) a cooling down time of 2.5 to 3.5 minutes.

Edited by Wicky