Canadian Army in Normandy Campaign.

What happened after D-Day? Guest speaker Thomas Bradley showcases Canadian Army participation during the Normandy Campaign in France, June 1944. His presentation includes dozens of soldiers’ stories, vivid maps, and rare photos that seem to leap off the screen at you.  

Mr. Bradley opens his talk with historical accounts of Canadians fighting SS troops on June 7, 1944 and concludes with the war crimes trial of Nazi SS General Kurt Meyer. This presentation took place on April 22, 2017 at the Brigadier Jefferson Armoury in Edmonton, Alberta. Enjoy
Cheers.

One of the best books I've read about the Canadians in Normandy is "Breaking the Panzers". https://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Panzers-Kevin-Baverstock/dp/0750928956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506601603&sr=8-1&keywords=breaking+the+panzers     (There are cheaper editions available elsewhere. I've only linked to that because it was fast and easy. ;)  )

It does a great job of focusing on the operational role that the Canadians had and how they fulfilled it. There are other books, of course, but they never quite did the job of explaining what the purpose was for the Canadian actions. Baverstock's book puts it in perspective.

Highly recommended.

On 30/09/2017 at 2:18 AM, rocketman said:

I can recommend the Juno Beach Trilogy by Mark Zuhelke uwhich covers D-day to Falaise. Well written with a good mix of the operational level and the individual soldier. 

+1 for this trilogy. His other titles centered on Italy and the final months of the war are also a good read. The only criticsm I had was that he jumps around a bit between different units (most at the battalion level) so it can be a touch hard to follow geographically at times. Having some maps on hand is a big help.

• 2 weeks later...