• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them

5 minutes ago, SLIM said:

Any truck or Humvee type vehicle carrying ammo set to 'Dismounted' status in the editor should change into an Ammo Dump on 'Elite' difficulty or higher.

That might create issues for me when building my weird TOEs (like the Mosul core units), I have to dismount/bail-out the vehicles in the editor to re-crew them.

53 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That might create issues for me when building my weird TOEs (like the Mosul core units), I have to dismount/bail-out the vehicles in the editor to re-crew them.

If am understanding you correctly, you are worried that you won't be able to do it at all? You'll be fine if you dismount them within the 3D environment. You just wouldn't be able to do it with the drop down tab on the force selection screen. Choose vehicle, set as ok, deploy units in 3D mode, dismount there.

Mord.

I wonder if in the first Marine campaign mission they'll change it so that the AAV's actually start off shore. I assume that's technically possible, though it would take work to modify the scenario. If it's possible, I'm not expecting waves, but it would be cool enough. 

PS: Yeah I know, they've not given any indication they would do things like that. I bet though if it's possible, scenario makers will soon come up with a mission like that.

Edited by Sequoia
PS

You could even simulate dismounting in water and wading if you line the shore with fords.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

1 hour ago, Mord said:

Choose vehicle, set as ok, deploy units in 3D mode, dismount there.  

I'm not sure the vehicle crew will stay dismounted.  I'm working on a scenario in CMBS and when I attempted to test it in scenario author test mode the crews would automatically reappear back in the vehicles.  Unless I'm missing something (I hope I am) I can't get the crews to stay separated from the vehicles.  

I just did some checking in CMBS and found that if you dismount vehicles from the editor tab, and they don't carry extra ammo, the vehicle and crew disappear in 3D view. Nothing there.

UPDATE: Just checked RT and it's the same there. So, most likely it happens in all the titles. This includes tanks and armored cars etc.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

It depends how the units are displayed in the editor as far as I can tell, if the crews are listed separately you can delete all but the HQ and set that as a post battle reinforcement, this is what I did with the HMMWVs & Nyalas in Mosul.  If the crew are not listed separately they will always respawn in their steed on start-up AFAIK.

I was hoping we might get just a bit more leeway in this area, as it allows designers to be creative with their unit picks, without the need for extra TOE tables etc.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 11/2/2017 at 9:00 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Persistent map damage for me

Yeah, I forgot about that. I had two others I forgot about as well; hand to hand (something besides grenade tossing) and vehicles being able to push wrecks out of the way. As it stands now, a knocked out vehicle on a road or bridge really doesn't have an effect on movement if they can be driven through. However, I don't think this one will change in CM2.

Mord.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 12:32 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

So long as the vehicle status is not set to 'Dismounted' you shouldn't have a problem.

Besides, soon you can simply attach individual vehicles to any TO&E you want.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:15 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

I'm not sure the vehicle crew will stay dismounted.  I'm working on a scenario in CMBS and when I attempted to test it in scenario author test mode the crews would automatically reappear back in the vehicles.  Unless I'm missing something (I hope I am) I can't get the crews to stay separated from the vehicles.  

That's weird. I've built a couple of vehicle firing ranges by using the deployment mode of the editor to dismount the crews, and leave a bunch of empty vehicles.

Set your vehicle status to 'Immobilized', then dismount the crews, and order them to hide someplace, like inside a building, with short cover arcs.

I dunno if it works with vehicles set to 'Okay' status.

Edited by SLIM

I think @MOS:96B2P  is referring to re-crewing, rather than just abandoning vehicles.....In certain vehicles you just can't dump the crew, no matter what you do in the editor.  Once you fire up the game itself they jump straight back into their vehicles wrecking any changes you made.  If there were a way to disable this we could do wondrous things.

Note that the issue here is the crew, not the vehicles, in Mosul you'll notice the Abrams have US Crews (if you hear them speak), I renamed them manually in the editor to boost immersion, but they're US units.  I'd have preferred to dump a Syrian T-55 crew into them (crew swapping would improve C2 links in these unconventional TOEs), but it can't be done for the reasons loosely described above.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, Mord said:

As it stands now, a knocked out vehicle on a road or bridge really doesn't have an effect on movement if they can be driven through.

I'm not sure that they can, an inconvenient wreck on one of the side-streets of @LongLeftFlank's Ramadi or my mini-Mosul variant appears to utterly block the street (this is in part due to the unusual construction of these side-streets).....I completely support your suggestion (Could we get armoured Bulldozers and Dozer-Tanks I wonder?), but for almost the opposite reasoning (if you see what I mean).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

At least in those cases the tanks/afvs will actually block something (envelope pushing map making and creative road placement). In CM1 games a knocked out vehicle on a bridge/street etc. could hamper an attack by blocking one's ability to maneuver. You'd have to bring up something big enough to push it out of the way, if it could be pushed at all. If this happens now, we just drive right through it. Just doesn't look right at 1:1 fidelity. Actually you'd expect the opposite, drive through it in CM1(abstraction), push it out of the way in CM2 (1:1 clarity).

I think dozers would be out of the time frame, maybe.

On another note going back to the IED discussion and possibly this (because I am ADD when it comes CM wish listing/hopes). What was the original intent/plans for this?

Stryker_En_G.jpg

That tantalizing "currently not simulated" has had me wondering for years.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

7 hours ago, Mord said:

On another note going back to the IED discussion and possibly this (because I am ADD when it comes CM wish listing/hopes). What was the original intent/plans for this?

Stryker_En_G.jpg

That tantalizing "currently not simulated" has had me wondering for years.

Probably mine clearance.

How though? Maybe using that thick rope thing they shoot into the air (like the Marines have) that blows up all along the line once it lands? You know what I am talking about?

Mord.

3 minutes ago, Mord said:

How though? Maybe using that thick rope thing they shoot into the air (like the Marines have) that blows up all along the line once it lands? You know what I am talking about?

Mord.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1132_Engineer_Squad_Vehicle

Its most distinctive feature is a mine-clearance blade, it is most often towing a wheeled trailer loaded with additional equipment. The vehicle is capable of clearing mines on paved surfaces and some rubble clearance.

Stryker_ESV_front_q.jpg

Edited by LukeFF

Ahh, cool. There was a lot of engine hammering at the time, trying to get the game under control, so that's probably why it got left by the wayside.

Mordante

I would like to see engineering vehicles/capabilities added to CMSF2 and CMBS. Simple things, such as mine plows on tanks should be doable, considering the sherman flail tank is in CMBN. However, seeing that BFC has been very clear about the fact that they are not adding new things to CMSF2 (aside from the new features present in the current engine) I think its more likely we would see a vehicle pack for CMBS first, and then hopefully one for CMSF2 later. 

10 hours ago, Sequoia said:

Hey Mord, let's hope you won't have to redo all the unit portraits ! :)

Ha! Those SF face portraits suck! I absolutely will have to redo them. I think I even deleted the original ones. I learned a lot and sharpened my technique over the various versions of the BN mod. I probably got the size and positioning the best in RT, FI, and BS. So, yep, SF2 will need portraits worthy of the 4.0 makeover.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

16 hours ago, Mord said:

Ha! Those SF face portraits suck! I absolutely will have to redo them. I think I even deleted the original ones. I learned a lot and sharpened my technique over the various versions of the BN mod. I probably got the size and positioning the best in RT, FI, and BS. So, yep, SF2 will need portraits worthy of the 4.0 makeover.

Mord.

Finally Emry's ear hairs bear fruit.. or something.

2 hours ago, Mord said:

I still don't have any real way to mod, so that was future speak.

Mord.

I'll take what I can get.  How much is it to get you the software, maybe we'll do a go fund me.