Video and full transcript of 60 Minutes interview with David Cornwell aka John Le Carre'

John Kettler

For all you spy book lovers, Cold War students, tradecraft mavens and lovers of Smiley, here is an extensive interview with the man who put the real grit of spy work into the mainstream. This is a rare and extensive interview with the man, a spook then himself for the British, who wrote the international bestseller The Spy Who Came In From The Cold.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-le-carre-ex-british-spys-double-life-as-a-famous-author/

Regards,

John Kettler

Michael Emrys,

Shows what excellent taste you have. It took me several tries to get into his first book, for I'd not encountered its like before, and it was so weird and other to someone used to reading espionage nonfiction, but once I got into it...Watched all of the "Smiiey's People" episodes myself last year and was sad when there were no more. If you haven't seen "Reilly: Ace of Spies" then you really need to do so, for it is brilliant across the board.

Regards,

John Kettler

4 hours ago, John Kettler said:

If you haven't seen "Reilly: Ace of Spies" then you really need to do so, for it is brilliant across the board.

If it's what I am thinking of, I watched 35 or more years ago on PBS. I thought it was okay, but it didn't knock my socks off the way it apparently did some folks. I've never cared much for The Spy Who Came In From the Cold, either, neither the movie nor the book. I thought The Little Drummer Girl was brilliant. If it had been written thirty years earlier, I wonder if it wouldn't have been hailed as the existential masterpiece in the English language. The movie they made from it was a wretched travesty though that didn't come close to doing it justice. Same thing with The Russia House. Both movies suffered from being badly miscast. Diane Keaton (whom I usually like) and Michelle Pfeiffer? Gimme a break. And the star of The Russia House should have been John Cleese. He would have been perfect as the slightly zany character. Sean Connery couldn't pull off slightly zany if he stood on his head. It's the genes, you see.

:)

Michael