Andy1990

Performance question

Hello everyone, I have a simple question about the game, I just played the demo for Cm: Battle for Normandy, and I was experiencing some stuttering, mouse freeze or delay between when I click on a unit and the time it select the unit. I am really tempted to buy the game but I dont want to end up with a game with a tons of problem like that. I dont think the problem come from my pc, I Have a gtx 1070 with a i7, 16gb of ram. Sorri if I started a new thread for that all I could find were old post. Thank you for the answer and sorry for my bad English 

9 hours ago, Andy1990 said:

Hello everyone, I have a simple question about the game, I just played the demo for Cm: Battle for Normandy, and I was experiencing some stuttering, mouse freeze or delay between when I click on a unit and the time it select the unit. I am really tempted to buy the game but I dont want to end up with a game with a tons of problem like that. I dont think the problem come from my pc, I Have a gtx 1070 with a i7, 16gb of ram. Sorri if I started a new thread for that all I could find were old post. Thank you for the answer and sorry for my bad English 

Difficult to answer with little info. I suppose, you have a "normal" PC, with video card and not a lap top with on-board video chip. Those do create problems.

Otherwise, the game seems quite "forgiving". Until very recently, I had it running on an 8-year old office PC with a NVIDIA 570 only. And even that worked somehow. Not at best settings and large scenario created slow downs or crashes, but mostly  it was ok.

Do you have anything running in the back ground? Updates? Anti virus software?

Anti virus software sometimes creates problems, it won't let you start the game.

There are issues for sure. Most of us have succeeded in setting things up so that we don't get stuttering and delays. There are a few that seem to be cursed with it no matter what. First thing to do is set expectations - the latest and greatest cards are nice and all but a 1070 will to preform so much better than a 570 as you might think. This is because the engine is limited in on how well it makes use of "modern" features. I have a 760 and do not experience problems during regular play. However if I am playing truly huge scenarios that does not always hold and I have to either deal with it or start dropping the game's quality settings. CM is CPU bound so having a large map with multiple battalions will cause performance issues no matter how amazing your graphics card is. None of the built shipping scenarios are in that category (they are all smaller and you should be able to get good performance) - I'm just trying to give you a frame of reference for your expectations.

Having said that here are some things you can do to help. Hopefully you can make these tweaks and see reasonable performance and be happy playing the game. This post has a nice summary of said setting:

Another set of settings:

Similar settings but a long discussion about people's experimentation and experience:

Some comments from Steve (one of the co owners) on performance if you want more reading:

Actually for a laptop the single most important thing is to make sure the game is using the high performance graphics card and not the built in card on the mother board. The way to do that is probably buried in one of those threads. The same place you configure those settings is also the place where you can say for this .exe use this graphics card.