My first Combat Mission game, I love it!

Snakroll

I just bought the base game + marines bundle and have been really enjoying it, this is the first serious wargame I've played and learning it has been a ton of fun. I only started learning about tactics recently and most of what I know is very basic small unit tactics, so learning about combined arms through the scenarios in the game has been really engaging and difficult, but very fun. I was curious if there are any chatrooms that can be used to talk about Combat Mission or ask for advice, a lot of times it will take me playing a scenario several times before I figure out a viable and realistic course of action for it and being able to ask for advice could be very helpful. 

I'm partway through the Marines campaign right now and feel like it's a fair bit more difficult than the TF Thunder campaign, I had a lot of trouble on a scenario where you have to use a reinforced rifle platoon to take a mountain pass from a company of airborne infantry. I'm also a bit unsure how to use the CAAT teams without getting them killed immediately. It's very interesting to see their equipment in action though since I'm interested in working in the Marine Corps when I'm older, I never knew their squads had so much firepower! Once I play my fill of Shock Force I'm planning to buy Black Sea since it looks really interesting, I'll probably pick up Afghanistan at some point also.

Welcome to CM!  So combined arms is indeed challenging, especially when it involves calling in indirect fire support from artillery and aircraft.  Fortunately, CMSF has a pretty extensive tactics forum, so that's a good place to start.  I don't know of any CM chatrooms, but this forum is generally a good place to go if you are stuck on a particular campaign or scenario.

I have actually had conversations with the designers on how best to play their creations.  Not many war-games where you can do that.  It's what makes CM so awesome and replayable.

Enjoy...and save often..:D  I have found that a very useful feature.

@Snakroll welcome to the forum.  This forum is a good place to ask questions.  You can also search different topics about tactics on this forum and find tons of information.  Below is a link to several U-tube videos on tactics that were made by a retired Army Colonel.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ6dDlqye9Q

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:45 AM, grunt_GI said:

@Erwin  Heh.  Thanks for the videos...never seen those before...wish I'd known about those when I first got CMSF

Just Google "Combat Mission Tutorials"  There are many on YouTube that do a good job explaining how to analyze a mission and how to go about playing well. 

There are also an enormous amount of AAR's on YouTube.  But, I find them less useful as the AAR players don't explain WHY they are doing what they are doing.

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

OP - Get yourself the British module and play some of this man's scenarios ^^

Whilst I appreciate the recommendation and I have done a few scenarios with US Forces - most of mine employ the Brits. While I predictably love playing the Brits, commanding them is a steep learning curve for a new player.

The best/most memorable standalone Brit mission I ever played was "UK Royal Mud Marines".  It features a wonderful and large map, lots of interesting Brit units including all their cute light "Landrover" and  recon "beach buggy" vehicles. 

Other recent smaller Brit missions that are also enjoyable:  Into The Green; Green 9; and Op BARRAS - set in Africa and benefits from some wonderful Africa mods that are available.  

Dragonwynn's Heart Of Darkness campaign also features a great first mission with Brits and their light vehicles. 

Edited by Erwin

• 2 weeks later...

Combat Mission Shock Force was my first game in the series too and wanting to take a break from (an admittedly superior) CM Black Sea I gave it a try in a while. Really surprised how well it holds up today,  a decade later after its release - and how many of missions I've played are just as fun to replay today - especially thanks to its superior BLUFOR roster (US Army, Marines, Brits, Germans/Canadians/Dutch)

Of course it lacks all the advancements the series has went through since but oh well.

Edited by kraze