By the Beautiful Blue Dniepr

HerrTom

3 hours ago, HerrTom said:

Sorry for the long wait everyone. My buddy is trying to figure out why he doesn't have any key bindings for the camera. How he played the last  game without WASD is beyond me.

John, I believe you're right! Battions should have organic mortars up to 120mm, regiments howitzers lf 122mm and divisions 152mm. Unforgivable!:lol:

Send him your preferences file; it sounds like for whatever reason its not present in documents. I had a mate with the same issue a while ago but I can't remember what was the cause. 

HerrTom,

When skimming your OP just now I noticed that you'd provided a list of mods you used. Was rather surprised to see that not only do you study explosions, but you mod them, too! Had no idea you did mods. That guy Kieme seems like a veritable mod god, judging from the overwhelming proportion his mods occupy in your list. Perhaps I should start DLing and installing mods--to the game I can't play?! Seems masochistic, don't you think? Also, hats off to you for using the Russian tactical symbols. Talk about a blast from the past for me! I well recall my "What the heck are those?" reaction when I first encountered them in the 1980 DIA pub THE SOVIET TANK COMPANY (U).

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

2 hours ago, John Kettler said:

HerrTom,

Nonsense!  Ego te absolvo. Wait. Do I have the authority to do that? Guess so, since it was a lay, rather than ecclesiastical, offense. Ha! I find your FS elaborations in your latest suspicious, too. Believe it should be Battalion 82 mm mortars, Regiment 120 MM mortars and DIVARTY 152 mm howitzers exclusively for a front line, Category A, unit. This is only for tube artillery. 

Regards,

John Kettler

That is true about category A.  I see (as of the 1980s TO&E - I'm no expert on modern organization).

A MRR should have:
24 mortars of 120mm and 82mm calibres - 2B11 and 2B7
18 howitzers of 122mm calibre - 2S1 Gvozdiki and D-30

A MRD should have:

72 mortars of 120mm and 82mm calibres - 2B11 and 2B7
72 howitzers of 122mm calibre - 2S1 Gvozdiki and D-30
54 howitzers of 152mm calibre - 2S3 Akatsii
18 MRLs of 122mm calibre - BM-21

And going down in scale, according to ADA21636 the motor rifle battalions should have

8 mortars of 120mm or 82mm calibres

ZPoczSJ.png

Sergeant Nefyodov of Group CENTR did not get the memo about staying hull-down.  He drove his tank straight down the road, confident in his armour's ability to protect him and his crew.  Bang!  The tank shook as an ERA block exploded.

dhRi1Jx.png

Bang!  A second ERA block detonated, leaving the tank unharmed.  Maybe there was something to his brashness?

k4ASdnR.png

Another ATGM screamed towards his tank.  Spalling from the impact lacerates the driver's arm, and the crew loses its nerve and bails out.

Q8mUtQx.png

No one is dead, and for that Nefyodov is thankful.

jR90yP7.png

Also in Group CENTR, Sergeant Karpukhin fires on a BMP spotted on the far bank.

loG6gBm.png

The shot lands true and the BMP explodes.

VQizsGo.png

Meanwhile there is quite a traffic jam driving through the forest trails!  It will be a few minutes before I'm able to start staging my troops along the bank.

d7FhL4v.png

I suspect two Ukrainian infantry platoons facing the dachas, and also a T-64 hiding in artillery zone 212.

If intelligence is correct, I suspect a recon platoon or mechanized infantry platoon defending the western side of the bridge.  They may prove too difficult for Group STOROZH to dislodge.  ZVER is busy entering the battlespace and will soon start engaging targets opposite the dachas.

RGJcV76.png

I take that back. Nefyodov's gunner is dead, killed by an ammunition cookoff while escaping the fallen tank.

7ivd7nm.png

The tanks are failing to spot anything in their current positions.  They're going to creep forward so that we can destroy the Ukrainian heavy units covering the crossing point.  Group IGREK is almost in position around the dachas.  I hope they will be able to start engaging some enemy BMPs that have already opened up on the leading elements of GERTSOG.

myn1MXv.png

A BTR of Group GERTSOG eats 30mm cannon fire.  Fragments enter the cabin from the automated turret and critically injure the gunner.

s0qZNNi.png

The traffic jam continues, but the first platoon of MAGNAT has exited the forest paths and is heading to staging positions among the eastern dachas.

y375o3B.png

ZVER has been surveying the battlefield and fired a couple of ATGMs against enemy forces in Pridniprovs'ke.  A couple of smoke columns are visible - one from a suspected BMP and another unknown.  An ATGM has been identified in a barn on the shore, which Group CENTR will engage and destroy.

We're not off to a great start.  The Ukrainians are in more forward positions than expected.  I was expecting them to be in fairly covered positions to contest the landing itself rather than the positions to contest the crossing they are in now.  The initial exchange of fire is going to be at long range across the river.  I expect to be able to win this with my heavy armor support, though my BTRs will be less than helpful in this role.

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, HerrTom said:

Since I'm still waiting for his turn <_< I looked at updating the map to make a more interesting battle from input from @Haiduk.  If he doesn't get his turn in before I get the map looking passable we might switch to the bigger one, expanded about 1km north.

Oh! I just proposed another bigger scenario, but not instead this one :) You can continue this DAR with current. Ok, then I will try to make update as soon as possible. 

Edited by Haiduk

12 hours ago, Haiduk said:

Oh! I just proposed another bigger scenario, but not instead this one :) You can continue this DAR with current. Ok, then I will try to make update as soon as possible. 

No worries. You gave me a good idea! I'm only 2 turns into this  one so far haha!

Expanded the buildings that (I believe) represent part of the 208th Guards Air Defence Brigade.  Barracks are below.

KnGJR6c.png

If they weren't part of the brigade before, they are now!

JuUSGug.png

Looking back to the Dniepr from higher up.

QKREDa7.png

I changed the weather conditions to match the actual day this takes place on (thanks @Ithikial_AU and @IanL for bothering to put together that data! :wub:)  Here we look from ground level back to the river in the same spot.  Mostly to show off the haze effect that I added to reshade to better reflect the conditions: foggy and warm.

I also replaced the highway bridge with a rail bridge like it's supposed to be!  I'm thinking of adding an objective for the Ukrainians to evacuate the SAM complex, while the Russians need to search the buildings and exit their troops off-map.

1 hour ago, HerrTom said:

I'm thinking of adding an objective for the Ukrainians to evacuate the SAM complex,

This 208th regiment has S-300, so they are already protecting Kherson in 50-70 km area, while Russians advance in city direction. So, in scenario probability of Russian strike aircraft appearing should be low.

• 1 month later...