ISIS - Yesterday's News!

tk0zoiuasijz.gif

SAA are rolling ISIS up, surrounding them and clearing the pockets, Deir Ez Zor should be liberated in a matter of days.....Go SAA!  B)

DI4873fXYAAwo2-.jpg:orig

All taken from LoooSeR's magnificent (400+ pages) Syria thread over at Sturgeon's House:  http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/topic/786-syrian-conflict/  (if you get a username/password request on visiting the thread, just ignore it, the page is fully accessible).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

My concern is that taking geographic locations doesn't really matter and may have been a tactic to bring all those allied troops to a region and waste our money.  All those ISIS folks will now disperse across the globe and it will be whack a mole all over the world.  We have yet to get started in Africa, Libya, SE Asia etc etc...  And that doesn't mean that homeland terrorist events are going to dissipate...

Frankly, right now I don't think Syria could give two hoots what it all means for the rest of the world.....Hardly surprising under the circumstances.  ;)

Still those directly responsible for creating this mess now have an awful lot of itinerant jihadists (some of whom are feeling rather badly let down right now) wandering about in their general region.....Blowback's a bitch!  :mellow:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On September 6, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Erwin said:

Whoever said "You can't kill an idea"... had a good point there.

Very true. But sometimes ideas wither and fall under their own weight. I don't see that happening to the jihadists soon, but if we patiently keep on our guard and don't get suckered into doing anything that will make us more enemies...

Michael

9 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

Very true. But sometimes ideas wither and fall under their own weight. I don't see that happening to the jihadists soon, but if we patiently keep on our guard and don't get suckered into doing anything that will make us more enemies...

My bold - definitely a starting point (with the caveat that you don't' want that to become a blank check for people to use to manipulate you).

More importantly the phrase "You can't kill and idea" is not really capturing the true nature of what we are talking about. You can use that phrase to make your self feel better about not being able to do anything about something. Or you can look at the techniques that the side with the bad idea used for the last 70 years to propagate the idea and work to disrupt those methods and or insert your own counter idea.

A few current and historic examples: China does not spend so much time censoring / controlling the content of the internet that their citizens can see because they accept that you cannot kill and idea. The Soviet Union did not rewrite the school history books because they agreed that you cannot kill an idea. White supremacists did not erect monuments to villains and laws to restrict human rights because they accepted that you cannot kill an idea.

While those are extreme examples using techniques we consider illegal and immoral there are things that we in a free society could do to counter those ideas. Here are a few, economic aid (not the failed methods of the last 50 years stuff that we can see can work now) [to disrupt the pool of poor / hopeless recruits], educational opportunities [to many places the free education is being provided by entities that are sympathetic to the bad ideas we are talking about], get social media providers to actually stop hate speech and vile propaganda [to disrupt the spread of the worst of the worst ideas], or my favourite, actually call out and sanction or otherwise put pressure on regimes that are allowing this crap to go on or are funding same [no funds, no government protection, bad people spreading bad ideas have a much tougher time].

Acting as an honest broker is always a good starting point.....Let's be utterly truthful with ourselves here, the west collectively has been anything but in it's dealings with the middle-east. 

But as you suggest, we do now have opportunities to correct our past mistakes, mostly by not adding to them.....Sadly that does not appear to be the course that is currently being taken.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Not yet, but CM:BN does, so CM:SF II probably could/maybe will have them (I hope).

I'm hugely looking forward to that game, I'm doing some CM:SF & CM:A scripting at the moment and eight AI group just isn't enough unless you use some cunning tricks.....My hat's off to the scenario designers who have gone before and discovered/invented these techniques.  B)

I seem to have lost all interest in WWII, I'm not even modelling at the moment.  :unsure:

Can't wait for CM:SF II, we'll be able to play some amazing scenarios.....If we can get a few more AI options linked to triggers and some variations on the terrain objectives it will be even better, but I confidently expect it to become the most popular game in the series regardless.   Blowing up 'Head-Choppers' is just too much fun, even better than blowing up Nazis!  :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead