What is going on?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't have a point, Its just an impression I have,maybe skewed, that we should have more than 1 vehicle pack in 3 years.It seems like releases are slowing down, maybe that's not accurate.And I didn't say they released nothing in  3 years.I was referring to the vehicle pack releases.You would think you might have at least 2 VP releases by now?

My understanding is the vehicle pack was made for CMBN to add a small collection of specialty vehicles that were used in the Normandy timeframe, but there were not enough new vehicles to warrant a whole new module. None of the other games need a vehicle pack at the moment. They are either complete (CMBN) or have future modules planned that will add new vehicles and formations to them (CMBS, CMFI, CMFB, etc)

What I would like to see are more battlepacks. They are a great way to extend the life of the various titles. For example, I like the US campaign from the CMBS battlepack more than the base campaign that came with the game. I'm hoping we start to see more battlepacks come out regularly for all the titles now that the concept has been tested and proven. 

12 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

I did zero research.

lol that is a very funny and honest reply.  As Cpt Miller noted, the Vehicle and Battle packs are more I think BF making clear that not all content releases will be a full module.  It isn't that they see a regular stream of them coming out but they tested the waters to see if they were a viable alternative to release content financially.  They know what we want (everything).  How to release content becomes more the issue.  They could have waited until they felt they had enough and included the CMBN VP and BP in a module.  Problem is kind of two fold - what would the module focus have been and how long would it have taken to reach that point.  So instead of a module they did two packs.

What will future packs be, hard to say.  With the exception of CMBN I think the goal is another module for CMFB, CMRT, CMBS and CMFI so I would be surprised to see a pack come out anytime soon. What I would hope for eventually is nationality packs for CMBS and CMRT.

And of course once CMSF 2 is out they need to drop everything and expand that to a full mid east/war on terror game.  :D 

On ‎3‎-‎9‎-‎2017 at 2:28 AM, Holman said:

Every release contains a HUGE number of vehicles and units, and every additional module does the same.  In the CMBN line, for instance, I can't think of a single significant vehicle we don't now have for the time period covered.

Oh, really?

SCHWIMMWAGEN!

Just now, Seedorf81 said:

Oh, really?

SCHWIMMWAGEN!

Once the decision is made the CMx2 Engine is being retired and the last piece of content for it has been released, a vehicle pack specifically for this vehicle of cult status in the CM Community should be dropped for all games where appropriate. :P Maybe also hide it somewhere random in the online store and wait to see how long it takes for us to find it.

4 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Once the decision is made the CMx2 Engine is being retired and the last piece of content for it has been released, a vehicle pack specifically for this vehicle of cult status in the CM Community should be dropped for all games where appropriate. :P Maybe also hide it somewhere random in the online store and wait to see how long it takes for us to find it.

I bet @kohlenklau will make a return once it is found :lol:

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, weapon2010 said:

Im more than willing to hand over my money to BF and love the CM2 concept with Major releases filled in with packs and engine updates .So why 1 Vehicle Pack in 3 years?This doesn't make sense.Seems like very little content.Im a little concerned.

Well, I hope BF makes some major fixes to the 4.0 Upgrade before finishing-up other projects...

Edited by JoMc67

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Maybe make a mod or build a scenario, see how long it took you and then multiply it by a pack's-worth.....Should help with your future estimations.  ;)

Not really, that would be a hobby for me in my free time with no pressure, this is their business which they charge a fee for and I happily pay, not even in the same ballpark.

Another consideration in this discussion: I have the impression that the CMBN VP was no great success, or better not too well accepted. At least, I can remember at best a handful of user made scenarios, using VP content.

The problem with the VP: By itself, it is pretty dead content. Scenarios need to be designed especially for the VP, which is an extra that not everybody owns.

3 hours ago, scottie said:

Been a BF customer since 2004 but avoided purchasing since CMBN modules simply because I am so utterly confused by the system of patches , upgrades , modules , battle packs. Its an absolute minefield sorry BF from a non-technical consumer point of view.  Really frustrated.

Considering it's a one universal installer now it got a lot easier. Simply run the installer and then enter the individual serial keys you get when you buy each module/pack to unlock it.

On 9/10/2017 at 1:59 AM, StieliAlpha said:

Another consideration in this discussion: I have the impression that the CMBN VP was no great success, or better not too well accepted. At least, I can remember at best a handful of user made scenarios, using VP content.

The problem with the VP: By itself, it is pretty dead content. Scenarios need to be designed especially for the VP, which is an extra that not everybody owns.

I seem to recall Steve saying the CMBN Vehicle Pack sold well*. I, like you, and probably everyone else, do wish there were more scenarios with the vehicles in it. But then I have never made a scenario of my own so I can't complain too much. Maybe more Battlepack's would solve the scenario problem. Scenario Battlepacks strike me as low hanging fruit for Battlefront, but I don't know what goes on behind the scenes so my assumption may not be accurate at all.

*Disclaimer: Over 55, so memory may be faulty. :)

On 9/2/2017 at 5:28 PM, Holman said:

Every release contains a HUGE number of vehicles and units, and every additional module does the same.  In the CMBN line, for instance, I can't think of a single significant vehicle we don't now have for the time period covered.

Brummbar :)

All kidding aside, about the Schwimmwagen, if CMBN added amphibious vehicles, and we know CMBS has the code, one could bring in several other vehicles, one of which, the LVT was a significant combat vehicle. One problem though, if they did bring in the Schwimmwagen/SEEP is players would probably use them ahistorically.  I suppose though, players are already using jeeps/Kubelwagens ahistorically as recon by suicide.

Most CM titles shouldn't be 'confusing' for a new purchaser at all.
CMRT and CMFB are just the basegame (so far).
CMFI has one module.
CMBS has one scenario pack.
A new purchaser would be buying the most recent v4 game engine so no worries about updating & patches.

CMBN is the oldest of the still-active titles. It was the 'early-adopters' who went through a string of patches & upgrades back starting in 2011(?). Late-adopters get to skip all that, simply buy it as v4 game engine and add your modules & packs.

Buying CM stuff in 2017 is a different experience from buying  CM in 2000 or 2006.