Lemaniac

Lost in the upgrade path

Hi there

I'm ancient CMBN (and older CM games) player coming back after several years without gaming. I see there were some updates during my "absence" and I try to catch up.

I was on V212 (CMBN + Commonwealth licenses) so I installed the V3 upgrade (SKU CMBN-UPV3-PC-DW). I'm on Windows 10 BTW. Now the game version shows 3.12 (Game Engine 3). Installation went well I had to reactivate the base modules but all is ok. I even see some Market Garden campaigns and battles and some battles prefixed BP1 (Battle Pack 1?) but it only says I need Market Garden. These are grayed out, it's normal I don't have the Market Garden module licence).

Now what? I have some doubts on how to have all modules and packs at latest level (4.0?). Specially with the Battle Pack 1, in which it's said " The Battle Pack updates your game engine from v3.11 to v3.12 ".

After some study, here's what I intend to do:

1. Install CM Normandy - UPGRADE 4 (Windows) and CMBN - Market Garden (Windows) (no matter in which order I guess?)
  2. Purchase and activate CM Normandy - Vehicle Pack (Windows) (text says there nothing to download, only license)
  3. Finally deal with CM Normandy - Battle Pack 1 (Windows) (all other modules and pack are prerequisite). But here it's not said it's only a license activation and I don't want to downgrade my game. So here I'm not sure what to do

Is there someone here who can validate my path and tell me how to install the Battle Pack 1 without downgrading?

Cheers
Yves

Here is what I would do. Purchase the v4 upgrade and run the full installer (not the upgrade installer). Now you will have all the content and be up to date. The only thing left to do is activate it. Start with activating what you already own (I think you might have to activate using both the v3 key and the v4 upgrade key) and then the modules and packs you already own. After that you can buy what ever module and pack you like and you do not need to install anything just activate it with the key (and the activate module short cut).

Thanks IanL

Now I purchased the the V4 upgrade and clicked the download link I can see the two possibilities (Full or Upgrade). This is not mentioned before. And even now it's not clear (for me at least) what is the FULL installer. Based on your advice I guess all existing modules and packs are included. I will do like you said and come back for confirmation. Could be useful for other dummies like me :D

Best regards
Yves

Yes, the full installer includes all the content. The Upgrade installer has only the files needed to upgrade 3.12 to v4. I recommend installing the full installer just because it eliminates the need to be sure you did all the other things in the right order. If you use the full installer then you *know* all the bits are there and that once you activate what you have purchased it will work.

Either should be fine. Or you could rename your existing install directory and have both versions. I do this so I can continue existing PBEM games with the old version and start new ones with the new version.

All worked fine. Thank you. To summarize:

1. Purchased and Installed 4.0 upgrade (Full Installer) - I did it "on top" of 3.12 (Base + Commonwealth modules)
    Then
  2. License for 4.0 upgrade activated all previous installed modules and Upgrades (For me Base + Commonwealth + V2 + V3 + V4)
  3. Repeat "Activate modules" for each new purchased modules and packs license (for me Market Garden + Vehicle Pack + Battle Pack1)
  4. Finally...

Many thanks to IanL!

Edited by Lemaniac
finger check