Do extreme temperatures actually do anything? Weather in CMx2 in general.

On 8/23/2017 at 10:24 AM, c3k said:

In CMx1, the various levels of cold weather affected optics differently. That was accounted for. I do not imagine that has been dropped.

I think there's a lot going on under the hood.

Can I ask why you think that?  There was a lot of stuff "dropped" between CM1 and CM2.  A lot has made it back in, but I am not sure what the baseline was on things like optics.

12 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

Can I ask why you think that?  There was a lot of stuff "dropped" between CM1 and CM2.  A lot has made it back in, but I am not sure what the baseline was on things like optics.

The stuff "dropped" between cm1 and cm2 was gameplay stuff...not the underlying data, ballistics, or other information.

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Erwin said:

Are sounds also deteriorated?  Presumably in a real blizzard you can't hear anything more than a few feet away.

From RL experience, a snow covered landscape, especially with a lot of trees heavy with snow - will muffle sound quite substantially. When FB was released I asked BFC in a thread if this was simulated but got neither "yes" or "no" for an answer. My guess is no, based on the snow scenarios played.

Not sure what @Battlefront.com used to define a blizzard, but here is the data from Environment Canada and NOAA on the definition of a blizzard. Looks like if the game is allowing you to see units out to 200 metres all is good. If they can see beyond 400 metres, then the game is broken and we should all get a refund. :D

Blizzard

Table 2. Alerting parameters Environment Canada uses for issuing a Blizzard Warning
Alert Type Location Threshold Criteria
Warning National, except North of the tree line When winds of 40 km/hr or greater are expected to cause widespread reductions in visibility to 400 metres or less, due to blowing snow, or blowing snow in combination with falling snow, for at least 4 hours.
Warning North of the tree line Same as above, except conditions are expected to last for at least 6 hours.

Officially, the National Weather Service defines a blizzard as a storm which contains large amounts of snow OR blowing snow, with winds in excess of 35 mph and visibility of less than 1/4 mile for an extended period of time (at least 3 hours)

Maybe this is a language thing. To me blizzard is synonomous with snow storm and according to the Swedish Metorological Institute (SMHI) it is defined as such:

"Snow storm: Snowfall, heavy wind and very bad sight. Snow drifts block some roads. The wind does not have to reach up to true storms to be called a snow storm."

IIRC LOS was far shorter in blizzard conditions in CM1, but I might be mistaken.

ideas plus unsure if in the game but coldness hinders:

tank/vehicle engines cooler and quieter possibly?

triggers freeze with ice not sure if it was an issue

easy to tell where enemy was and has gone with tracks in snow

things rusting?

sound travels slower when it's cold

extreme exhaustion and mental fatigue from fighting in this cold

hot water vapor can be seen a long distance away on cold clear days

viewing glasses/para-scopes and binoculars = fog and frost builds up on them or snow and ice buildup.

weapons freeze up, barrels get clogged with ice or snow

tank hatches freeze shut possibly if sleet ?

Carbon monoxide buildup in tanks, from hatches being shut?

vehicles or units getting lost or separated in storms

small rivers more easy to cross now that they are frozen

HE rounds don't do as much damage more duds especially from mortars (hitting soft surfaces slush deep snow etc)

ice or snow buildup on tanks makes some rounds slide off or hit being ineffective ricochet

fuel economy became really bad trying to wriggle out of the land many vehicles running out of fuel or just stuck waiting for a tow

hard to repair damaged stuff in that weather

can't see mines on the road or offroad or mines don't work right now

trees are bare except evergreens easy to spot things moving in or near them

Edited by user1000

I recall CM1 had major LOS degradation in "Heavy Fog" - a few meters.  So, would probably be the same in "Blizzard" or "Heavy Snowfall" (or whatever the choice was called.  Played an Ardennes scenario where one's troops were constantly walking obliviously right into foxholes that were enemy occupied.

On 27/10/2017 at 4:32 PM, rocketman said:

Maybe this is a language thing. To me blizzard is synonomous with snow storm and according to the Swedish Metorological Institute (SMHI) it is defined as such:

"Snow storm: Snowfall, heavy wind and very bad sight. Snow drifts block some roads. The wind does not have to reach up to true storms to be called a snow storm."

IIRC LOS was far shorter in blizzard conditions in CM1, but I might be mistaken.

http://ncairngormsblog.sais.gov.uk/2015/02/blizzard-conditions-7/ Click on the wee video. You can see, in this case there is still vis. Zero vis would be called a 'whiteout'. I've been in white out conditions so bad you could not tell if down was up and vice versa. very disorientating! 

For the fellow weather grogs. I bumped into this website the other week. It's in French but pretty easy to get a handle on. It's a day by day record on minimum and maximum temperatures, and rainfall on a day by day basis across the European theater.

http://www.infoclimat.fr/cartes/observations-meteo/archives/cumul-de-pluie-sur-24h/6/juin/1944/00h/france.html

I'm assuming they reference old weather charts and have converted them to a digital based map/observation.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, Just noticed on another 'Thread' that 'Fatigued' Troops don't loose firing accuracy either...So, has BF allowed Super Troopers in CM, where 'Fatigued' and or 'Cold' Troops fire without Penalty.

Thou, to make-up for it, it's also possible that troops in CM 'Cower' or have longer Acquire Times in above conditions, instead of loss of fire accuracy.

Edited by JoMc67