Question before buying: Turn-based?

I played the first Combat Mission a long time ago (Barbarosa to Berlin) head-to-head with my brother. There was a mode where you would give orders to your units, then the game would play out for like, a minute.

After that, the game would pause.... you would each give orders again, then "advance" the game to the next minute or so.

Does this mode still exist, or is the game 100% realtime now?

I'm checking out YouTube videos but it just looks like only realtime, similar to a Total War type of game.

Thank you for your help!

1 hour ago, copet said:

I played the first Combat Mission a long time ago (Barbarosa to Berlin) head-to-head with my brother. There was a mode where you would give orders to your units, then the game would play out for like, a minute.

After that, the game would pause.... you would each give orders again, then "advance" the game to the next minute or so.

I'm checking out YouTube videos but it just looks like only realtime, similar to a Total War type of game.

Thank you for your help!

I dare to say " Wego" is, what most people play. And rightly so, IMHO

You'll rarely find references to Real Time in the forums. Or "fori"? 🤓 Latin speakers, please help.

6 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

You'll rarely find references to Real Time in the forums. Or "fori"? 🤓 Latin speakers, please help.

Generally, -us ending ( male gender ) goes to -i  ( octopus - octopi )
-a ending ( female ) to -ae  ( can't think of a current English example off the top of my head )
and -um (neuter) to -a ( forum - fora )

( one thing that fools a lot of people is that "data" is the plural, "datum" is the singular. But because of the way it gets commonly used, when you use the plural verb with it, it often looks/sounds wrong "data are..." )

<slinks back to geektopia>

And yes, what everyone said - WeGo is still popular and much played - if it went away, I daresay a lot of us would too :unsure:

Edited by Baneman

15 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

It doesn't come up because game issues are mostly agnostic towards the game mode. I play a lot more real time than WeGo. Basically the latter only for campaign missions that are unexpectedly huge and PBEM. But I'm a bit out of the PBEM game for now and I've played through almost every campaign.

17 hours ago, Baneman said:

Generally, -us ending ( male gender ) goes to -i  ( octopus - octopi )
-a ending ( female ) to -ae  ( can't think of a current English example off the top of my head )
and -um (neuter) to -a ( forum - fora )

( one thing that fools a lot of people is that "data" is the plural, "datum" is the singular. But because of the way it gets commonly used, when you use the plural verb with it, it often looks/sounds wrong "data are..." )

<slinks back to geektopia>

And yes, what everyone said - WeGo is still popular and much played - if it went away, I daresay a lot of us would too :unsure:

Thanks, Baneman. I knew a friendly question would not go unanswered.

Another great day: I learned something new. 😎

When I started with the game I was playing realtime.  But I noticed that I would miss so much of the action, even in relatively small battles.  So I started using WeGo and started enjoying the game much more.  And had more success, since I could replay the action and see what happened to each unit that was under fire.  There's nothing better than replaying a tank shootout from both sides, watching the rounds fly past.  Now I would only use realtime in very small battles, if then. 

On 8/22/2017 at 8:51 AM, copet said:

Thank you for your help!

Echoing what everyone else here has posted: Wego is turn based and I think what most people play. Real time is mess if the unit count gets above a company size engagement. You can pause the action at any time in Real Time mode but when the unit count gets so large you'll find that you have to pause the action every few seconds to give or change orders. This sounds ideal until you realize that the game is being paused so often that it's not really "Real Time" any more. The one and only advantage that Real Time mode has over Wego is that you can give orders at any time, so you could avoid potential disaster ambushes and perhaps time attacks better with multiple units.

Most people love that anticipation of 1 minute of solid action that Wego provides.

There are demos to download, btw. 

Some people do prefer playing smaller scale battles in Realtime. Trying to play Realtime  with a battalion of inf on a 2km map is more of an 'adventure' than most people want to attempt. But a tiny all armor QB involving a platoon of tanks against a platoon of tanks is perfectly playable in Realtime.

As others have noted, the main drawback with WEGO is that lose the ability to give orders for a minute - which is a lot of time for bad things to happen.  There have been times when I've seen spotting rounds come in early in the turn, and would have loved to be able to tell my men to get out of what I correctly deduce will be the ultimate target of the strike.  Unfortunately, by the time I get to issue orders, it's too late and the rounds are already on their way.  Likewise, I've had situations where I've sent multiple units forward and realize (after the first one) that the enemy has LOS on the movement area and/or a minefield.  I'd love to be able to tell the next group of guys to stop, but you have to watch helplessly as they charge forward, seemingly oblivious to the guys that just got cut down in front of them.

I've found that the "pause" command can be useful in mitigating some of the above-noted problems with WEGO.  Start your move command at 45 seconds, for instance, because that way you only expose your guys to 15 seconds of fire before you can decide (if the TacAI hasn't already) to stop them if they take more fire than anticipated. 

On August 30, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Kommissar said:

As others have noted, the main drawback with WEGO is that lose the ability to give orders for a minute - which is a lot of time for bad things to happen.  There have been times when I've seen spotting rounds come in early in the turn, and would have loved to be able to tell my men to get out of what I correctly deduce will be the ultimate target of the strike.  Unfortunately, by the time I get to issue orders, it's too late and the rounds are already on their way.  Likewise, I've had situations where I've sent multiple units forward and realize (after the first one) that the enemy has LOS on the movement area and/or a minefield.  I'd love to be able to tell the next group of guys to stop, but you have to watch helplessly as they charge forward, seemingly oblivious to the guys that just got cut down in front of them.

I fully understand how frustrating this can be for a player, but the other side of my brain reminds me that—especially in a WW II setting—this is actually a pretty quick response. It took time for frontline information to make its way upward and new orders to filter down to the sharp end. Even if we invest squad leaders with a great deal of initiative, it can still take time for the sergeant to assess the new situation and decide to disregard his existing orders and do something different. Given all that, I do not feel that a mere minute is at all an unreasonable length of time for them to be out of your control. These were human beings, not (much as we might wish it) super soldiers who never hesitated or made the wrong call. When reading detailed accounts of combat, I have come across many, many instances where troops did not perform up to the optimum level for one reason or another. The saving grace has always been that the other side also has its own problems.

Michael

• 4 months later...
On 8/23/2017 at 8:18 AM, danfrodo said:

When I started with the game I was playing realtime.  But I noticed that I would miss so much of the action, even in relatively small battles.  So I started using WeGo and started enjoying the game much more.  And had more success, since I could replay the action and see what happened to each unit that was under fire.  There's nothing better than replaying a tank shootout from both sides, watching the rounds fly past.  Now I would only use realtime in very small battles, if then. 

I agree completely because you get to see every little detail during the action phase. If you're fighting the enemy in 2 different areas on the map, think about all that you miss playing real time. In fact, I've never played a real-time game (although I should probably try it at least once.)

Then again, I look at this game as a version of chess. I'm fine with whatever happens after my move because I don't treat the game like it's a 100% simulation.