JeffPreston

CMBN v 4 w no extras: Sometimes there's no enemy present in a Quick Battle

Hi Folks:

Can anyone help? I've got CMBN v 4 w no extras.

Sometimes there's no enemy present in a Quick Battle. I've seen this twice - once with v 3.12 and once with v 4.00.

On both occasions the enemy was the USA, but there's not enough data to know if that's any kind of pattern. Both times it was the defender who was not there. Both times the attacker and defender forces were chosen automatically.

It's disappointing to spend 30 minutes slowly creeping up to a village only to find it, and the rest of the map, completely empty.  :(

The statistics at the end screen clearly show there is no USA force at all - no men or vehicles.

I love this game and would love to hear of a solution to this issue!

Many thanks in advance for any help. :)

What are your selections for the 'combat forces' involved ? My only guess here is that the AI player selected all air-power or something to that effect (or possibly didn't make any selections). You may want to select something in particular for the 'combat forces' rather than leaving it at 'auto' and see if that makes a difference.

Also the 'size' of the battle can make a difference here too. 'Tiny' and 'armor' may result in no forces being selected for the enemy, etc.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

Hi Schrullenhaft:

Thanks for your reply.

The defender in both cases was US infantry.

>> You may want to select something in particular for the 'combat forces' rather than leaving it at 'auto' and see if that makes a difference.

I've not seen this problem when the defender's units are chosen by the player. I seldom use this for, as far as I understand how CMBN works, it means the player has an exact order of battle for the enemy.

I use the automatic selection of forces in almost every case as it is a compelling feature of the software.

Most of the games I've played this way have been small or tiny battles, but with infantry as the selection, there should surely be no difficulty in computing forces which are within the size of battle chosen?

11 minutes ago, JeffPreston said:

I use the automatic selection of forces in almost every case as it is a compelling feature of the software.

Unfortunately it's not very compelling at all, because it's poorly programmed, leading to results like you experienced. It seems to basically select the enemy force completely at random, which means sometimes your enemy will consist of an off-map battery of guns (but without anyone to actually call in the artillery). Other times, it will buy 5 AT guns and place them in the middle of a forest. Etc.

Even when you're lucky to get a somewhat decent enemy force, there's hardly any challenge because of the essentially random nature of the computer setup and movement orders. So I suggest not to bother with quick battles basically. It's a waste of time spending an hour carefully advancing on positions that make no sense.

This game shines in scenarios and especially playing against a human opponent.

Hi BP:

Thanks for your reply.

I've had an inordinate run of luck it would seem as I've had dozens of compelling battles, with only a small number which had either no forces at all or very poorly placed or selected forces. I'm having a marvelous time with the program, but the session which contained no enemy was a big disappointment.

The (not 'quick') battles have been great fun too and I can see that with careful design they have the potential to be a lot more challenging than QBs.

I think one of the factors that has kept me happy with QBs is that the forces I choose are usually 'tiny' rather than 'small' and as such it is perhaps harder for the enemy battle plan to be a randomly created mess with baffled battalions all over the place doing odd things, rather than just a few companies trying to appear to be trained soldiers.

Whoa - I see you're a scenario author! Excellent - I'll try 'Crossroads At Pierrefitte-En-Cinglais V2 [Updated 20/11/2015]' next time I play as I can play it with no add-ons as I understand things?

Edited by JeffPreston

4 hours ago, JeffPreston said:

Whoa - I see you're a scenario author! Excellent - I'll try 'Crossroads At Pierrefitte-En-Cinglais V2 [Updated 20/11/2015]' next time I play as I can play it with no add-ons as I understand things?

Yes, it should work. Because I made it back when I only had CMBN without addons, myself.

It's my first scenario, and while I was proud of the terrain and the different enemy AI plans, I've later realised that it's a very tough mission to actually win. Just so you know and don't get too frustrated with it. Try it a few times, it's designed for replayability too.

However, I think you're on V4.0, which apparently makes infantry much more likely to run away under fire. That should make the mission  easier than when I play it (I'm still on V3.12, where enemy infantry can be very stubborn to dislodge).

I started making a revised version that corrects a few small details to make the map an even more exact copy of the wartime French town, and also turns down the difficulty a bit. But I don't know if/when I'll actually release it.

5 hours ago, JeffPreston said:

I've had an inordinate run of luck it would seem as I've had dozens of compelling battles, with only a small number which had either no forces at all or very poorly placed or selected forces. I'm having a marvelous time with the program, but the session which contained no enemy was a big disappointment.

That experience is much more reflective of the usual experience. CMBN was first and it's QB auto select code is still not as polished as the newer games. From what I understand the auto select code is a combination of an algorithm (which is the same for all titles) and some probability or weigh values in the TO&E for the game (which is specific to the game). The newer games have had more testing so they perform better.

Hi IanL:

Thanks for your reply - it would be nice if the code for CMBN QB automatic selection could be improved based on newer versions which are, as you have described, better.

In all fairness:

QB's can be quite good, if you play H2H and select your force yourself.

Just remember to select the "map preview" option. Otherwise, you may end up with a tank platoon in the woods.

Even then, it may happen, that your force does not properly match your opponents. That would be "unlucky", or a real challenge...

By the way @JeffPreston, I just remembered that I actually did a US version of my second scenario. That means you should be able to play it with just the base game. I never uploaded it anywhere, but if you're interested, send me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you. I think it's a bit easier than the British version too.

Edited by Bulletpoint