Managing Lots of Infantry... A real pain!

Can't help the feeling that recon/scouting is the most important aspect.  Given how few units (armor) one usually has, not anticipating an ATG ambush is reckless. 

One would think that in RL one would usually have more info re where enemy positions are before one is ordered to attack.  But, since in CM one rarely is given much useful info, sending several scout units (approx. two 2-man teams per platoon) out while everyone else hunkers down is essential.  Of course a few scenarios discourage this by having the enemy start to barrage if one doesn't keep everyone moving.

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

Can't help the feeling that recon/scouting is the most important aspect.  Given how few units (armor) one usually has, not anticipating an ATG ambush is reckless. 

One would think that in RL one would usually have more info re where enemy positions are before one is ordered to attack.  But, since in CM one rarely is given much useful info, sending several scout units (approx. two 2-man teams per platoon) out while everyone else hunkers down is essential.  Of course a few scenarios discourage this by having the enemy start to barrage if one doesn't keep everyone moving.

Recon is by far the most important aspect, but with that being said, many scenarios do not afford you enough time to perform a proper reconnaissance and other times even the most thorough scouting effort will leave key enemy positions hidden until they open up.  In a perfect scenario, however, good reconnaissance and effective use of terrain in moving up follow-on units will leave you with your force concentrated on a gap where you can quickly overwhelm the initial defense and get into the backfield where the enemy will be scrambling to reorient on your effort.

As for the pertinence of scouting to the topic at hand, I find that this also makes managing large forces of infantry infinitely easier.  If I set up my battalion in a proper formation at the beginning and spend the first 15-20 minutes scouting with two-man teams from every squad or every other squad I can move the bulk of my force rapidly and with little micromanagement once I have safe corridors identified leaving the tedious micromanagement to the fun part: Finding, fixing, and destroying the enemy!

4 hours ago, BlutUndEhre said:

I start off by screenshotting an overhead of the map and then I start doodling.  

1. I assign objectives to my leading company or companies  <Snip>   I write these instructions down on my map and mark phase lines for my expected advance.  Now, obviously, as the situation deteriorates and the picture becomes more complicated these instructions will also become more complicated.  I keep on keeping on and continue writing all of my plans and marking all known enemy locations on the map.   <Snip> 

I often do something similar to what you're describing.  You might find the below threads interesting. 

Interesting stuff. 

Edited by MOS:96B2P