How to change equipment level of a purchased formation?

When purchasing formations in the editor, there's a button directly below the "formations" button - this button lets us select the formation's level of equipment. However, I'm not sure how to actually use this button.

Do I need to select the equipment level first, then purchase a formation to give the newly purchased formation the selected level of equipment? Or can I select an already purchased formation and use the button to change their equipment? Playing around with the settings don't seem to change anything once I deploy the forces on the map. So I think I'm doing something wrong.

Edited by Bulletpoint

The other day I was googling around for an answer to the question but didn't find any. Now today after posting the question here, I did a bit more searching, and found this thread that explains it: 

It seems what confused me is that we cannot change equipment level after the formation is purchased. This is quite unfortunate when building a scenario, because deleting the formation and re-purchasing it deletes all the carefully placed defensive positions and customised levels of experience and leadership, and even worse, it erases the assigned AI groups. Would be very nice to just be able to change the equipment level and play around with the setting until it gives the right results.

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

It seems what confused me is that we cannot change equipment level after the formation is purchased. This is quite unfortunate when building a scenario, because deleting the formation and re-purchasing it deletes all the carefully placed defensive positions and customised levels of experience and leadership, and even worse, it erases the assigned AI groups. Would be very nice to just be able to change the equipment level and play around with the setting until it gives the right results.

Can't you fiddle with all the settings it (equipment quality) influences manually in CMx2 though?

Edited by Apocal

39 minutes ago, Apocal said:

Can't you fiddle with all the settings it (equipment quality) influences manually in CMx2 though?

No. Not as far as I know. We can change what kind of tanks and vehicles are used, and adjust the amount of ammo, but we cannot change small arms, infantry AT weapons etc.

27 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

No. Not as far as I know. We can change what kind of tanks and vehicles are used, and adjust the amount of ammo, but we cannot change small arms, infantry AT weapons etc.

When I crack open an American AIB and select dismounted, I can choose from 0-3 bazookas and what type. I haven't noticed quality influencing small arms much at all though...? I'm fiddling with FJ and their squads all have double MGs with typical or excellent set for equipment.

I think it should be possible to manipulate weapons directly though.

Edited by Apocal

42 minutes ago, Apocal said:

When I crack open an American AIB and select dismounted, I can choose from 0-3 bazookas and what type. I haven't noticed quality influencing small arms much at all though...? I'm fiddling with FJ and their squads all have double MGs with typical or excellent set for equipment.

Right, I forgot for some reason we can choose bazookas directly for some of the US forces.. but for the Germans, it seems we cannot do that. I'm under the impression that the equipment level affects things like the chances of getting STG44s instead of MP40s, but maybe it actually doesn't?

As far as I know, Equipment Quality has two effects...

1 - it pre-configures the selected unit in terms of the various force customization options you have access to : Grenadier/Standard, Medium mortar/Heavy mortar, PIAT/no PIAT, StuG III G (mid)/StuG III G (latest), etc... (you get the idea)

2 - small arms loadout, but this varies greatly, and it's not very consistent and depends heavily on the force/time period. In some formations it will have a major effect and in some none at all. For example, in Final Blitzkrieg an october 44' Volksgrenadier unit set to Poor will have a much greater proportion of MP40's, Pzf30k's, and MG34's, as opposed to the same unit set to Excellent which will get more MP44's than you can shake a stick at, mostly Pzf60/100's, and pretty much only MG42's. This option won't make your wunderKriegsmarine squads into something more useful nor issue your Gebirgsjägers with pitchforks and molotov cocktails.

It's a bit of a bummer though, I'd love to have more granular control on the distribution of small arms. This could help simulate scenarios where key weapons were lost or where men had access to much better equipment.

4 hours ago, Xorg_Xalargsky said:

2 - small arms loadout, but this varies greatly, and it's not very consistent and depends heavily on the force/time period. In some formations it will have a major effect and in some none at all. For example, in Final Blitzkrieg an october 44' Volksgrenadier unit set to Poor will have a much greater proportion of MP40's, Pzf30k's, and MG34's, as opposed to the same unit set to Excellent which will get more MP44's than you can shake a stick at, mostly Pzf60/100's, and pretty much only MG42's. This option won't make your wunderKriegsmarine squads into something more useful nor issue your Gebirgsjägers with pitchforks and molotov cocktails.

In the scenario I'm currently designing, I set the Germans to "typical" EQ level, and the first 2 times I playtested, they got the usual MG42s, rifles, and MP40s. But in the latest playtest, I noticed all the squads suddenly have STG44s instead of the MP40s. So it seems like there's a small chance to have better equipment, but it's not on a per squad basis - it's the entire formation that either gets it or doesn't.

Their amount of grenades etc seems the same though.

Edited by Bulletpoint