IS-1: TC's face in hatch.

Apocal

Both mid and early variants, the commander's face is crammed right against the hatch when unbuttoned. Surely this can't be intended? I haven't tested to see if it makes him immune to small arms fire from the front, but if that actually occurs, just pretend I never reported this, lol.

face in hatch, is-1.jpg

I've just tested this.

The IS-1, IS-2 (early), IS-2 (mid), and IS-2 (late) all have the same issue. From estimated measurements, it seems that the commander shares the height used by the T-34 tanks with a cupola, perhaps a case of hasty copy-pasta.

In a small not-so-scientific test, German riflemen were able to kill the commanders of the 4 previously mentioned tanks from the frontal quarter. 

Edited by Xorg_Xalargsky

Remember the little "bug" where one of the crewmen was facing ninety degrees off where he was supposed to, and therefore not taking advantage of some of the tank's optics like they were supposed to? I wonder if his face being crammed right up against the hatch affects spotting...?

Hmm, from a real quick n' dirty test, it seems like the cupola's hatches don't effect the spotting ability of the tank commander.

I had 4 IS-2 (mid) look at German rifle squads ~120 meters away in grassy terrain. 2 of them had the commander turned out.

The 2 turned out tanks were able to spot all members of their respective enemy squads after a turn where the two buttoned-up were only able to spot 1-3 members.

I'd say it's quite likely that opened vehicle doors and hatches don't affect spotting. Likely for gameplay or coding reasons. Still not sure about hitboxes though.

2 hours ago, Xorg_Xalargsky said:

Hmm, from a real quick n' dirty test, it seems like the cupola's hatches don't effect the spotting ability of the tank commander.

I had 4 IS-2 (mid) look at German rifle squads ~120 meters away in grassy terrain. 2 of them had the commander turned out.

The 2 turned out tanks were able to spot all members of their respective enemy squads after a turn where the two buttoned-up were only able to spot 1-3 members.

I'd say it's quite likely that opened vehicle doors and hatches don't affect spotting. Likely for gameplay or coding reasons. Still not sure about hitboxes though.

I'm running quick and dirty tests as well, they seem to support what you're saying. Not surprising; modeling the hatch's position in relation to the commander's face and resulting LOS blockage would be the most ridiculous detail I can imagine in a company-level wargame.

Edited by Apocal

• 2 weeks later...