Stalingrad IL2

Erwin

I'm guessing/hoping they meant Kursk.....The terrain sure looks more Kursk than Stalingrad and there were no tank-buster Ju.87Gs at Stalingrad due to them not having been invented yet. If it is meant to be Kursk, then it appears the Germans didn't get the order to repaint their vehicles dunkelgelb. 

Max.Pedantry FTW!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Beautiful game. I hope someday someone will make a ww2 tank simulator of that quality.

They did. It was called Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942 and pretty much everyone praised it. But the developers sort of ****ed up with the setting for the game and while all the playables (T-34/76, Matilda and Pz IV) were pretty well lovingly rendered in great detail, none of them were a Tiger or Panther or Sherman. So sales apparently (allegedly) weren't so hot and the team shifted to making tactical sims with the same engine, which sold much better. That was pre-WoT though, so it might go better for someone nowadays, but I'm pretty skeptical about that; picking a battle outside of the popular period of the war (mid-1944 on) that no one gives a **** about probably isn't ideal as far as setting goes. Virtual tankers kinda hunger for a nuts-and-bolts sim but still want their big cats, red steel and Shermans.

18 hours ago, Apocal said:

They did. It was called Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942 and pretty much everyone praised it. But the developers sort of ****ed up with the setting for the game and while all the playables (T-34/76, Matilda and Pz IV) were pretty well lovingly rendered in great detail, none of them were a Tiger or Panther or Sherman. So sales apparently (allegedly) weren't so hot and the team shifted to making tactical sims with the same engine, which sold much better. That was pre-WoT though, so it might go better for someone nowadays, but I'm pretty skeptical about that; picking a battle outside of the popular period of the war (mid-1944 on) that no one gives a **** about probably isn't ideal as far as setting goes. Virtual tankers kinda hunger for a nuts-and-bolts sim but still want their big cats, red steel and Shermans.

There is a great living community,  with regular uppdates for steel fury. Today you can fight in, and against about every German and Russian tank, And a some brittish, and American. Plenty of missions for all of them, incusive North Africa. 

I'v played steel fury for many years thanks to Steel tank addon. Not much the læst year or so though.

19 hours ago, Apocal said:

I think I've tried the demo once, but it didn't grab me, probably because of the limited number of tank types. A long time ago I loved to play another, rather primitive tanksim, called Panzer Commander (if I remember correctly). Graphics were pretty horrible, but it was lots of fun. I also played Iron Front for a while, enjoyable, but buggy. Perhaps I should try the addon for Steel Fury as mentioned by Armorgunner (thanks for the  tip btw), but my gaming time is limited and I think I'll stick to CM. :)

I forgot the link to the fantstic Mod to Steel Fury "Steel Tank Add-on", or "STA", and its comunity.

But here it is: http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/

Drive around in your own King Tiger, and kill Russians. Or command a platoon of them. Or why not in your brand new JS-3, and kill Nazis. Or why not an old Pz 38t, and try to win against Bt-5´s, and T-26´s. Or maybe in a Sherman Firefly, or Sherman M4A4/76 against the Uber menschens in Panthers?

Everything is very well done. With ballistics,  armour, and sloped armor. Bulletspeeds and different ammo and scenarios from real battles, like Willers bokage etc, etc...and infantery. 

Oh i almost forgot. This is a real Tank Sim, not an aracade/Child game like World of tanks. You can play as the commander, driver, or gunner. The loader? I dunno, atleast i havent played that role.

Edited by Armorgunner

On 8/7/2017 at 3:10 PM, Armorgunner said:

There is a great living community,  with regular uppdates for steel fury. Today you can fight in, and against about every German and Russian tank, And a some brittish, and American. Plenty of missions for all of them, incusive North Africa. 

I'v played steel fury for many years thanks to Steel tank addon. Not much the læst year or so though.

I'm not saying it is a bad game, far from it. My problem is that there was something of a lost opportunity to pull people towards tank sims, and wargames generally, that was squandered only due to an incredibly poor choice of setting. Even for hardcore treadheads, 2nd Kharkov is not typically one of the top ten tank battles/campaigns.

4 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Amazing level of ground detail for a flight simulator. Even grass bending down as the tank passes over it..

The soldier animations could do with a bit of work though :)

Yeah, the level of detail is getting crazier each and every year.

Edited by Apocal

2 minutes ago, Apocal said:

Yeah, the level of detail is getting crazier each and every year.

Once upon a time, I played a game called something like 1942: Pacific on the Amiga. I was amazed at the detail - there was even an aircraft carrier on the ocean! (said carrier being comprised of 3-4 drab grey boxes)... Now we can notice if the soldiers we are strafing polished their boots this morning, and probably if they shaved too :)

2 hours ago, Apocal said:

I'm not saying it is a bad game, far from it. My problem is that there was something of a lost opportunity to pull people towards tank sims, and wargames generally, that was squandered only due to an incredibly poor choice of setting. Even for hardcore treadheads, 2nd Kharkov is not typically one of the top ten tank battles/campaigns.

Oh, i did not take what you said. That you though the game was bad. I though for mye self,  that the original game was very narrow. And just wanted to tell you all, that thats not the case since a few years back. And that you now can fight in all german fronts in ww2. And in about every Tank from Germany, Russian, USA, and GB.

I wanted to try this game but it doesn't appear to be sold by graviteam any more.  While it seems to be a free d/l these days, I can't get the d/l to d/l. 

Comments I found also warned that it doesn't run properly on new machines - unclear if they mean Win 7 or Win 10.   Other comments were about very complex instructions - altho' if one is used to CM2 that probably doesn't mean too much.

So, anyone have this game, play it and can give recommendations?  Also, where to get it?

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

I wanted to try this game but it doesn't appear to be sold by graviteam any more.  While it seems to be a free d/l these days, I can't get the d/l to d/l. 

Comments I found also warned that it doesn't run properly on new machines - unclear if they mean Win 7 or Win 10.   Other comments were about very complex instructions - altho' if one is used to CM2 that probably doesn't mean too much.

So, anyone have this game, play it and can give recommendations?  Also, where to get it?

I had Steel fury running on Windows 7 for many years. And since over a year, on Windows 10. The only thing might be, that the game is not made to run in widescreen. So sometimes you don't see all the written text. And I don't get the fix for that to work properly. 

SF is quite easy to get into. Because you can dumb it down, to be almost an arcade game. And then when you get a grip of the basic, just raise the reality level step by step. 

I think it is on gamersgate.com  but maybe wait for a sale. 

Edited by Armorgunner

15 hours ago, Erwin said:

Ok thanks...

Graviteam has made a bit newer Tanksim called "Steel armor blaze of war" where you can fight in an M60A1, or a T-62 in the Iran/Iraq war, Angola, and the Afghanistan war. This game is on steam. I have the Gamersgate version of it. It allso have a DLC "Steel Armor: Basra 86" Which I dont own.

Copy from steam about the DLC

"The action takes place in a new area of operations in the flood plain of the Shatt al-Arab river during the Iran-Iraq war. Two operations for Iranian and Iraqi armies, and a single mission are available to the player. Pontoon bridges, floating armored vehicles, and Iranian-produced UCAVs are widely used during the game.

At the end of December 1986, Iranian forces launched the next operation - Karbala-4. IRGC frogmen crossed the Shatt al-Arab river and captured a number of the border islands, as well as a bridgehead on the right bank. Then, pontoon bridges were assembled across the river, which lightly armed Basij militia units of the "Prophet Muhammad" division used to cross to the right river bank and began an offensive in the general direction of Basra"

I must say though, that I havent really given this one a chanse, even if I owned it for many years (bought it on release day) So I cant say anything really about it. But is has good rating from users on Steam though

I tested it for 15 minutes, and every button was changed from Steel Fury. So I gave up on it, and played Steel Fury instead. But maybe some day, i´l get in to it.

Edited by Armorgunner

• 3 weeks later...

I've got to upgrade my graphics card something serious before I try IL-2:BoS since my PC struggles with the modded version of the original IL-2. I will be purchasing Steel Fury and Steel Armor today, however.  They both look to be damned good and I'm very surprised that I haven't ever heard of them given the amount of sims I play.