Satchel charge to destroy top floor wall of building?

Hello,

I want to knock down a wall that has no windows on the 4th floor of a building I have some troops in, so that they will be able to see/fire out in that direction. They have satchel charges but the tests I have run so far all end with the satchel charge going off inside the building and the wall remaining standing. It may be that this is not possible or it may be that I am just being dense! If anyone could give me a pointer as to how to achieve this I would be grateful.

To blast a wall you need to plot the blast move command such that the team goes through the wall, along the wall or directly towards the wall.

I have seen a team breach from the x floor of one building to the same floor of an adjoining building. Typically in a building you only have one action square so you cannot place a blast move order along a wall or directly towards a wall. I don't think you can blast an upper floor wall away. 

2 hours ago, _Itchy said:

Hello,

I want to knock down a wall that has no windows on the 4th floor of a building I have some troops in, so that they will be able to see/fire out in that direction. They have satchel charges but the tests I have run so far all end with the satchel charge going off inside the building and the wall remaining standing. It may be that this is not possible or it may be that I am just being dense! If anyone could give me a pointer as to how to achieve this I would be grateful.

If an engineer team needs to Blast through an exterior wall (on any floor including the 4th) place the Blast order on the ground outside of the building.  The side that needs blasting.  Then give the engineer team a Pause order.  The length of the Pause order depends on the experience level of the engineer team.  For example a regular engineer team should be given a Pause order of 45 seconds (It takes them 15 seconds to Blast).  

Hit the big red button.  The engineers will Pause for 45 seconds and then begin their Blast routine.  After the Blast goes off the team will start to run to the location of the outside Blast waypoint but the turn will end.  Next turn cancel their run to the outside.     

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

If an engineer team needs to Blast through an exterior wall (on any floor including the 4th) place the Blast order on the ground outside of the building.  The side that needs blasting.  Then give the engineer team a Pause order.  The length of the Pause order depends on the experience level of the engineer team.  For example a regular engineer team should be given a Pause order of 45 seconds (It takes them 15 seconds to Blast).  

Hit the big red button.  The engineers will Pause for 45 seconds and then begin their Blast routine.  After the Blast goes off the team will start to run to the location of the outside Blast waypoint but the turn will end.  Next turn cancel their run to the outside.     

Genius!  B)

been doing this for some time. I play real time, just drop the blast line out the wall to anywhere on the ground and keep your pointer on the cancel button. Actually why do troops have to move after a blast? I'm usually cancelling them most of the time.

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Cool - @MOS:96B2P have you confirmed that this works?

Yes.  But I guess I never tried it on a sloped roof.  May have to go back and modify my TACSOP for sloped roofs..........  

14 minutes ago, gundolf said:

been doing this for some time. I play real time, just drop the blast line out the wall to anywhere on the ground and keep your pointer on the cancel button. Actually why do troops have to move after a blast? I'm usually cancelling them most of the time.

Blast is actually a movement command.  Why it was developed that way I don't know.  I also almost always cancel and send a rifle team through the breach. 

16 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:
18 hours ago, IanL said:

Cool - @MOS:96B2P have you confirmed that this works?

Yes.  But I guess I never tried it on a sloped roof.  May have to go back and modify my TACSOP for sloped roofs..........  

Excellent thanks. I can see it not working for sloped roofs because the purpose of breaching a wall is to get into the next building but you can never do that from a attic.

37 minutes ago, sburke said:

Yes actually I do as they will typically slaughter the stunned occupants inside, depends on the exact circumstances as to when it makes sense to move in or not. 

Unfortunately, I found this not always true.  Sometimes the occupants are amazingly not stunned and fire back with effect.  Other times, the enemy has units just outside the building and fire back at the breaching team thro windows.  So, my SOP now is hardly ever let my breach teams go in - unless I have eyes all around the building so I know there are no enemy lurking around the back, and also try to have other units TARGET LIGHT on the area/wall to be breached.

Check out CMSF's "Mullah Fayed" for some good examples of the above and how much trouble one can get into by allowing a breach team to enter and stay. 

20 hours ago, _Itchy said:

That is brilliant! 

FYI - it does not appear to work if the floor in question is a sloped roof, but on a flat wall that works a treat, Many thanks!

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Excellent thanks. I can see it not working for sloped roofs because the purpose of breaching a wall is to get into the next building but you can never do that from a attic.

I think I found the solution for a sloped roof.  Use the same SOP as above.  On the following turn, after the Blast, cancel the engineers movement to the outside.  Then attempt to Target through the blasted sloped wall.  You should be able to now.  The graphics don't show damage to the sloped wall but I was able to shoot through it anyways.   Tried on two separate sloped roof buildings and it worked both times.   

3 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Unfortunately, I found this not always true.  Sometimes the occupants are amazingly not stunned and fire back with effect.  Other times, the enemy has units just outside the building and fire back at the breaching team thro windows.  So, my SOP now is hardly ever let my breach teams go in - unless I have eyes all around the building so I know there are no enemy lurking around the back, and also try to have other units TARGET LIGHT on the area/wall to be breached.

Check out CMSF's "Mullah Fayed" for some good examples of the above and how much trouble one can get into by allowing a breach team to enter and stay. 

Nothing works optimally all the time. Hence my statement about circumstances.  However that being said I have rarely had the occupants of a room survive and defeat a blast assault.  One thing I have learned to do is have a team positioned outside as they will tend to get any survivors before they can react. The issue with not entering is that the period of time you have where the blast recipients are stunned does not last long.  You either act right away to take advantage of it or you find another way to deal with the threat. 

14 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I think I found the solution for a sloped roof.  Use the same SOP as above.  On the following turn, after the Blast, cancel the engineers movement to the outside.  Then attempt to Target through the blasted sloped wall.  You should be able to now.  The graphics don't show damage to the sloped wall but I was able to shoot through it anyways.   Tried on two separate sloped roof buildings and it worked both times.   

Ah, didn't think to check that. Even better! Thanks.