Lots of old warship pics (digitally colorized)

1 hour ago, Michael Emrys said:

BTW, that may not be as inequitable as it sounds. There were some ship's expenses that might come out of the captain's share and the officers (including the captain) were normally expected to buy their own rations, uniforms, etc.

Michael

Hah, that's exactly what my boss keeps telling me. 🤔

I looked it up in my ancient Time Life book. That says:

- 3/8 to the Capatain, of which he pays one third to his commander

- 2/8 to the Officers

- 1/8 to the Midshipmen and NCOs

- 2/8 to the crew

An example from an engagement on 17/18 October 1799, where  four British frigates captured two Spanish frigates, full of coins:

The four Captains received 40'000 Pound Sterling each. The 1000 crew men 182 Pound Sterling each. BUT, that that was equivalent of 16 years of wage. Unfortunately, I suppose, the the crew could still not opt for early retirement. 😎

14 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

- 3/8 to the Capatain, of which he pays one third to his commander

Yeah, I forgot to mention the part that the captain pays to the admiral who is his boss, and only recalled that when I was getting ready for bed. Good thing you caught it. Since the admiral often had income coming in from many successful ships, he is the one who ended up filthy rich and was ennobled if not already so.

Michael

• 2 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:33 AM, StieliAlpha said:

To whom it concerns: Peter Padfield's "Battleship" gives a very interesting overview of the development of battleships from the 1850's (ok, he even starts a little earlier with sailing ships in the 16th century, but touches the Age of Sail only briefly) to modern times.

I just nabbed this as an e-book, thanks for the recommendation.