CMRT Campaign: Zitadelle: Totenkopf's March to Prokhorovka

This thing has been sitting on my hard drive for quite sometime. I was waiting for a module or vehicle pack to be released to give me the correct vehicles needed but since that doesn't look like its going to happen anytime soon I decided to finish it and put it up for play. If the vehicles needed are released I will go back and update it. It has only been partially tested.

Zitadelle:Totenkopf's March to Prokhorovka depicts actions of the 3rd SS Panzergrenadier Division Totenkopf during Operation Zitadelle, or more commonly, The Battle of Kursk, during July, 1943.

It requires the latest version of CMRT. The details are as follows:

Zitadelle: SS Totenkopf's March to Prokhorovka

Zitadelle is a CMRT Campaign depicting the actions of the 3rd SS Panzergrenadier Division Totenkopf (Deaths Head) during Operation Zitadelle, the German code word for the Battle of Kursk. It follows the divisions engagements from July 4, 1943 until July 12, 1943.

The campaign should be considered semi-historical simply because of limitations in the CMRT engine, mainly force composition and equipment. All the battles however were actual engagements and I tried to replicate them as accurately as I could. It requires the following:

CMRT version 4.
The Included Mod Folder for immersion.

Division Totenkopf was one of three SS Divisions attached to the II. SS Panzer Korps that fought in the southern sector of the campaign. Totenkopf, along with the other two divisions, 1st SS Panzergrenadier Division Leibstandarte and 2nd SS Panzergrenadier Division Das Reich, along with support units, were under the command of SS Obergruppenfuhrer Paul Hausser and would be the main offensive punch for the Germans in this sector.

The 3rd SS Panzergrenadier Division Totenkopf is commanded by SS Brigadefuhrer Hermann Preiss during Operation Zitadelle.

Note on Commanders:

I have tried to add in as many of the key commanders as possible for historical immersion. During the battle the II.SS Panzer-Korps lost many key commanders since many German commanders lead their troops from the front, so there was a lot of moving leadership around. I set the command tree for this campaign as it was in the beginning of the actual battle where I could.

This campaign features the following units as the core units.

German Order of Battle:

1. I.SS Panzergrenadier Regiment 6 (SS Sturmbannfuhrer Fritz Knochlein)
    4 x Kompanies

2. II.SS Panzergrenadier Regiment 6 (SS Sturmbannfuhrer Ernst Haussler)
    4 x Kompanies
    2 x Kompanies (Reserve)

3. III.SS Panzergrenadier Regiment 6 (SS Standartenfuhrer Karl Ullrich)
    4 x Kompanies

4. I.SS Panzer Regiment 3 (SS Hauptsturmfuhrer Erwin Meierdress)
    2 x Kompanies ( 47 MkIVG tanks)
    1 x Kompanie (Reserve) (22 MkIVG tanks)
(These represent tanks repaired  and returned to service during the battle and will be  available later.)
    1 x Support Kompanie (Flak Zug)

5. I.SS Panzer Regiment (SS Obersturmfuhrer Wilhelm Schroder)
    9.Kompanie (Tiger Kompanie) (11 MkVI Tiger 1 tanks)

6. II.SS Panzer Regiment 3  (SS Sturmbannfuhrer Georg Bochmann)
    4 x Kompanies (59 MkIVG tanks)
    1 x Support Kompanie (Flak Zug)

7. SS Pionier Battalion 3 (SS Obersturmfuhrer Georg Kinzler
     1 x Kompanie

8. SS-Sturmgeschutz-Abteilung 3 (SS Hauptsturmfuhrer Werner Korff)
    2 x Batterie
    1 x Batterie (Reserve)

9. SS-Panzer-Aufklarungs-Abteilung 3 (SS Sturmbannfuhrer Otto Kron)
     2 x Kompanies (Equipped with SPW 251 from the divisions halftrack battalion)
     1 x Kompanie (Reserve)

10. I.SS Panzergrenadier Regiment 6 (Armored Battalion) (SS Obersturmbannfuhrer Rudolf Schneider)
     1 x Kompanie (Armored Car)
     2 x Kompanie ( Halftrack Battalion)
     1 x Kompanie (Halftrack Battalion) (Reserve)

Soviet Order of Battle: (Non Core)

1. 1241st Rifle Regiment (375th Rifle Division)

2. 155th Guards Rifle Regiment (52nd Guards Rifle Division)

3. 196th Guards Rifle Regiment (67th Guards Rifle Division)

4. 245th Tank Regiment (2nd Guards Tank Corps)

5. 289th Guards Regiment (97th Guards Rifle Division)

6. 237th Tank Brigade (31st Tank Corps)

7. 96th Tank Brigade ( attached to the 52nd Guards Rifle Division)

8. 284th Guards Rifle Regiment (95th Guards Rifle Division)

9. 287th Guards Regiment (95th Guards Rifle Division)

10. 181st Tank Brigade (18th Tank Corps)

Notes on unit composition:

Due to limitations in the current CMRT engine I used Aufklarung compositions to eliminate most of the panzerfausts which were not present during Operation Zitadelle. A few of the HQ units still randomly retain a few but there is nothing much I can do. Just use your imagination and let them be very accurately thrown teller mines.

Also historically Totenkopf had the following tank strengths:

59 PzMkIII's
47 PzMkIV (long barreled 75mm)
11 PzMkVI Tigers
8 Befehls Pz. (Repair Vehicles)

With the MKIII not being available I have substituted in the correct number of MkIV's, so the tank strength is correct on numbers but not correct on tank types. If BFC decides to make the MkIII (and KV-1) I will try and update this beast. As mentioned above there is one Kompanie in the I.SS Panzer Regiment 3 that is a reserve and this represents repaired tanks that were returned to service during the battle. These will be available towards the end.

The Campaign Tree:

1. Hill 218 - Axis Assault (Dawn)

2. Breaking the Line - Axis Assault (Day)

3. Actung Panzer - Axis Probe (Day)

4. Clash at Kochetovka - Axis Attack (Day)

5. Decision - Gives you the opportunity to play the next mission with or without using some of your reserves. You must be careful here as you will need every available asset in the later battles.

6. 96th Tank Brigade Counterattacks - Meeting Engagement (No reserves) (Day)

7. 96th Tank Brigade Counterattacks (Reserves) - Meeting Engagement (Reserves) (Day)

8. Hells Bridgehead - Axis Assault (Day)

9. Tooth and Nail - Allied Attack (Dawn)

10. Fire and Steel - Meeting Engagement (Day)

For this campaign to be successful it will require careful management of your unit preservation, as the last battles will require every resource you can muster. 9.Kompanies Tigers will be especially important as you will get no replacements for them. (There was only 11 total during Zitadelle)

Artillery and air support will be available in most missions for both sides.

The Mods:

Included with the campaign is a mod folder that contains the following:

1. Veins excellent Totenkopf Uniform mod.

2. Several terrain and effects textures from different sources for immersion.

3. Aris PzMk IVG, SPW 251, Stug III and PzMkVI Tiger textures modified by me with the correct insignia used by Totenkopf during Operation Zitadelle.

4. Custom Loading Music

5. Totekopf Portrait Mod - I added the Deaths Head insignia to the portrait of the armored infantry and tank commanders from Mords Red Thunder Portraits mod. These will now show the correct insignia and are tagged to this campaign only.

The Maps:

The maps were all created by the author (me) and I have tried to make them as accurate as possible. Most are large and may task slower systems.

Be sure to read the mission briefings for each mission.

I have included some historical information that the campaign was based on in each of the designer notes for each mission. This will give you a bigger picture of the events that are happening when each mission is played out.

As always let me know of any bugs or screw ups and I will fix and update.

I hope the campaign proves enjoyable.

Here is the link to the campaign:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jl13w5orjp2b7dz/Zitadelle.zip?dl=0

Michael

Watch out! I tried to save my progress on the first mission and it said that the file title was unacceptable or something like that, and I had to quit. Luckily I was still in the process of setting up my units, so I didn't waste too much time. But it would be very frustrating if I'd gotten well into the first scenario...

I was able to load and save the initial setup with the title <Zitadelle/ SS Totenkopf's March to Prokhorovka 001.bts> with no problem...it is a very long title though...not sure what the game limit is.

Sigh, as always, the map for the first scenario looks great...but always with the night combat...dang...:o...

Edited by grunt_GI

50 minutes ago, grunt_GI said:

I was able to load and save the initial setup with the title <Zitadelle/ SS Totenkopf's March to Prokhorovka 001.bts> with no problem...it is a very long title though...not sure what the game limit is.

Sigh, as always, the map for the first scenario looks great...but always with the night combat...dang...:o...

Yea I know the night missions can be a pain but historically thats how it started.

10 minutes ago, dragonwynn said:

Ok it appears that the : in the game file is the issue. I was able to save and load successfully with just Zitadelle. I will correct this in the next update. Sorry bout that.

Michael

Good to know, trying the campaign. Looks ok so far.

By the way, dragonwynn, I should have added my thanks to you for making the effort to put the campaign together! I'll load the updated version and play it with great interest.

I recently finished 'Kursk The Greatest Battle' by Lloyd Clark, which was informative although not written with much flair. The book altered my previous (and not very well-researched) impression that the battle was one almighty slug-fest in which both sides suffered rapid and horrendous losses. Clark paints a picture of a fairly successful offensive (initially at least) in which reasonable advances were made without great losses, and it was for that reason that the Germans were lured into persisting with the attack for so long, in pursuit of an elusive decisive breakthrough...

Dragonwynn,

This looks really great.  I've downloaded it and am looking at it for now.  Since my name came up in the named units on the left flank, I'll have to play this one to see if my character survives, haha.

Your work on this is impressive, as usual.  The designer notes are huge too.  Very nicely done.

I am still working my way through Operation Clipper so I won't get to this right away.  Clipper is keeping me totally involved.  That is such an excellent piece of work as well.  Damn pillboxes and soggy ground.  There is a trail of immobilized tanks across the map.  That should give you a clue on which battle I'm fighting, heh heh.  Didn't want to give away too much in case someone was reading and might want to take a crack at that CMBN campaign.

Thanks for so much hard work and effort on these campaigns.  They are truly a labor of love for this game system.

Heinrich505 

Loaded it and when saving removed the " : ".  My initial naming convention:  "Zitadelle M1 SETUP"  (Afterwards I substitute what the countdown clock says for the SETUP so it's easy to see which saved game is the most recent and how much time is left etc.)

Loaded ok and seems to be ok so far.

BTW:  Am sure I have the correct screen dimensions to give the correct look to the graphics.  However, the splash screen (three troops and a MG) is compressed horizontally (so thinner than it should be).

I just deleted the text down to Zitadelle 01 etc and no probs, Thanks Heinrich amazing so far, really enjoyed scen 2 now on 3  I have advanced to the woods. Bloody brill bud. Cheers

Edited by NPye

Thanks guys glad it seems to be enjoyable. Sorry about the save game bug, screwup on file name on my part. Think you will find the last few battles to be a real hoot ?Erwin not sure on the splash screen thing l did no modding of that

Edited by dragonwynn

No problem with the Splash - I have many dozens of those I can use.  As I mentioned b4 am a bit burned out on CM, but based on your previous xnt works, your campaign is the sort of thing that gets me excited again.  Thank you (and hope that you don't get burned out).

Edited by Erwin

3 hours ago, NPye said:

I just deleted the text down to Zitadelle 01 etc and no probs, Thanks Heinrich amazing so far, really enjoyed scen 2 now on 3  I have advanced to the woods. Bloody brill bud. Cheers

Can you tell me how to delete the save file name please?  It does not seem to work in the save file box. 

Guys Ill try and get a fix up for the saved bug soon. Working all weekend so will not have much time until maybe Monday. Sorry bout that.

2 hours ago, verulam said:

Can you tell me how to delete the save file name please?  It does not seem to work in the save file box. 

You should just be able to delete the file all the way over to Zitadelle or even rename it something different. The idea of having a different number beside each save is a good one though.

6 hours ago, dragonwynn said:

Ok here is the updated .cam file that fixes the save bug.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gmemljggwryqo4/Zitadelle.cam?dl=0

Just delete the old one and replace with this one. If you are several missions into the campaign then just save with the procedure mentioned above.

Michael

Thanks very much for this and all your hard work.  I've never yet managed to delete or rename a file in the save box.  I'm sure I'm missing something.  

Question re what players use as a SOP in a situation as depicted in Mission 1... 

The infantry units have 6 man squads, so you can only split them into teams once. 

Do you split 2 or 3 of the squads of one platoon to use the two man teams as Scouts?  (This means that this platoon's squads can no longer split into more teams.)

Or, do you split one squad from each platoon of the company to use as Scouts - thus leaving all platoons with the flexibility to split two of their squads into Assault or AT teams?

In addition what is the best use for the light MG's?  Do you keep them in the rear with the HMG's as additional support?  Or, keep the LMG's up front with the Scouts (since 2 men are harder to detect by a defender).  Or parcel them out to the platoon HQ's for additional support?

Also, am assuming that the safe areas cleared of minefields start in the blue setup areas, and one can project forwards to see the cleared avenues?  I only see one set of posts leading from the LHS blue set up areas and am not sure where the cleared area boundary is.