A Hello from a new player to combat mission!

3 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Nice hat!  :D

Did you get any of the expansion modules for the game.....Depending on what you bought there is a vast array of user made output at the repository:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=select&id=2

I've got the marines module and plan to get the other two later, Thanks for pointing out the repository I didn't know that existed :)

31 minutes ago, Mishrae said:

I've got the marines module and plan to get the other two later, Thanks for pointing out the repository I didn't know that existed :)

It is really sad that new players are not given this sort of info when the buy a BF product.  The Repository (and CMMODS) are essential to regularly check out if one wants to enjoy the full CM immersion experience.

23 hours ago, Erwin said:

It is really sad that new players are not given this sort of info when the buy a BF product.  The Repository (and CMMODS) are essential to regularly check out if one wants to enjoy the full CM immersion experience.

Now, now, Erwin, one can always type "Combat Mission Mods" into google...

The point is it isn't happening (at least not with this customer).  There is a certain mindset that wants players/customers to work hard for everything - "do your own research", "learn how to program so you can spend months designing your own scenarios" "ie: "do it yourself and do not expect to be spoonfed" etc.  But that is exactly what most customers want.  A biz is supposed to serve the customer and make life easy for them to enjoy its product, not make customers work harder for it.  Simples...

In the meantime, Mishrae, welcome to the forums.

Don't forget to bookmark both the repository, and The Scenario Depot III:
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/
The Proving Grounds II:
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tpg2/
and the CMMODS website:
http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/

You can also find good information on the following YouTube Playlist:

as well as a fantastic source of advanced tactics on Bil Hardenberger's Blog Site, Battle Drill:
http://battledrill.blogspot.com/

You'll learn the community itself fairly quickly, no flaws, no vices, no sense of humor.
Once again, welcome.

Should we do a useful links 'Sticky Thread' perhaps.....I'm hoping the old game will get more interest as news of CM:SF II starts to percolate around the web.  There's a lot of truly great content for the game and much of it is leaps and bounds ahead of what shipped with the original.  B)

Ian - You really should buy CM:SF, for the price it's a steal if you get a bundle with the modules.....CM:A is still a great game too.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

There is this thread in the CMBS forum...

It may not be perfectly placed...Newbies that are mostly intrested in WW2 may not look there for example...

If it could be possible to make space for a NEWBIE RESOUCE, MUST READ, QUESTION - area (forum) at the top of the main CM forum screen (listing the various games)...

That might perhaps be a good idea...

This forum section would not necesarely have to have all that many treads...perhaps only some sticky ones...maybe something like...

- newbie questions

- Resources, guides

- AARs

I Think that something like this could be a good idea...Maybe some of the newbies hesitate to ask question if they feel they have to start a new thread every single time they have a simple question... Having newbie questions in a single (easy to find ) thread would be good imo...

In the resource, guides thread the usual helpful links could be posted...

Having they majority of the AARs from the various thread put in a single thread (or linked to) could also be good...Nice Reading for newbies...

6 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Should we do a useful links 'Sticky Thread' perhaps.....I'm hoping the old game will get more interest as news of CM:SF II starts to percolate around the web.  There's a lot of truly great content for the game and much of it is leaps and bounds ahead of what shipped with the original.  B)

Ian - You really should buy CM:SF, for the price it's a steal if you get a bundle with the modules.....CM:A is still a great game too.  ;)

The activity here has picked up since the CMSF2 was announced. Honestly I never liked the idea of asymmetrical warfare. But I have to admit the conversation here is starting to win me over. I am still not pulling the trigger for two reasons - don't think I could stand the difference in features and UI and I know I will be annoyed with the licensing. That plus, I have more CM projects to do than I have time for already so adding a new game to the stable needs to be seamless not bump filled :)  CMSF2 should fit that bill.

Keep your eye open for @MOS:96B2P posts on the CM:SF UI.....He's come up with some brilliant workarounds that are actually better than the newer orders in some instances.  B)

The great thing about CM:SF is it's flexibility.....Asym/Uncon is my preferred style but full on tank-battles are equally doable. I've been contemplating doing something from the Ogaden war, maybe even Mali or Yemen, the possibilities are endless with all the modules.

PS - A little patch to fix the 'Red Occupy' issue would be a very welcome teaser for the current CM:SF community.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead