Aware CMBS doesn't do national characteristics, but...

On the other hand (there is always another hand), being overawed by your enemy is not good either. I think that was often the case when the Allies were faced with the Germans. First they were over-confident, and after the Germans slapped them around a bit, they often became excessively cautious, even timid. It can be hard finding the right balance.

Michael

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

On the other hand (there is always another hand), being overawed by your enemy is not good either. I think that was often the case when the Allies were faced with the Germans. First they were over-confident, and after the Germans slapped them around a bit, they often became excessively cautious, even timid. It can be hard finding the right balance.

Michael

Don't you think a better argument could be made that the Germans paid a higher price for overestimating themselves and underestimating their opponents than the allies did for any overestimation made of the Germans?

Edited by TheForwardObserver

24 minutes ago, DMS said:

Every rifle or just heavy weapons? They must be very expensive.

The squad leader, his assistant and I believe one rifleman are equipped with thermal optics in a standard US rifle squad in game. You can see for yourself. Just put the mouse cursor over the squad leaders weapon in the UI and it will display M4A1/TWS or something to that effect. 

1 hour ago, IICptMillerII said:

The squad leader, his assistant and I believe one rifleman are equipped with thermal optics in a standard US rifle squad in game. You can see for yourself. Just put the mouse cursor over the squad leaders weapon in the UI and it will display M4A1/TWS or something to that effect. 

Hm, how I could miss it. :) Correct, 3 per squad.

3 hours ago, TheForwardObserver said:

Don't you think a better argument could be made that the Germans paid a higher price for overestimating themselves and underestimating their opponents than the allies did for any overestimation made of the Germans?

Of course, but that was at the grand strategic level. It was less common at the operational level where the Germans usually had a pretty shrewd idea of how good their opponents were.

Michael

IICptMillerII,

TWS is a weapon sight, not a goggle. I ought to know, because my dad was handling the engineering side of it at what was then Hughes Aircraft EDSG (Electro-Optical and Data Systems Group).Here is a wealth of material on US NVGs and related matters. Be sure you accept the ITAR statement!

http://www.nivisys.com/en/products/night_vision_systems/pvs_7

The above PVS-7s are II (Image Intensification) systems. The ITT Exelis AN/PSQ-20, seen in action below, fuses II and thermal, in what's called DSNVG (Dual-Sensor Night Vision Goggle). As you can see for yourself, its capabilities are spectacular, and it has multiple modes in which it can operate. If the US infantry has these, it should also be able to do a very good job of finding the foe in daylight, just as our thermal equipped AFVs routinely do.

https://www.nightvision4less.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=52036&sename=itt-exelis-dsnvg-dual-sensor-night-vision-goggle-anpsq-20

Regards,

John Kettler

42 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

TWS is a weapon sight, not a goggle. I ought to know, because my dad was handling the engineering side of it at what was then Hughes Aircraft EDSG (Electro-Optical and Data Systems Group).Here is a wealth of material on US NVGs and related matters. Be sure you accept the ITAR statement!

I clearly stated that the TWS is a weapon optic, as in an optical device mounted on a rifle. Never said it was a goggle of any type. 

IICptMillerII,

8 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

Believe my brain locked onto the ambiguous nature of the expression "thermal optic" and ran with it thereafter. The semantic problem is that there is the TWS, and the aforementioned DSNVG, both of which are thermal optics. Believe CMBS models those, but haven't found direct confirmation. I've directly reviewed your statement and concede that nowhere did you use the word "goggle." For that, I do apologize. On a separate note, the product page for the DSNVG revealed something noteworthy. The II part is 1 X magnification, while the thermal part can be up to 3 X, which can make quite a difference when it comes to seeing first and shooting first, whether by day or night.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

IICptMillerII,

If that's the case, then the only atmospheric related thing US troops can't see through is broadband obscurant smoke from tanks! Were I the US and I had the resources, I'd prefer to fight at night.  Failing that, I'd go low light level daytime in bad WX  and/or cloaked by smoke, especially since we now know the thermal side can do 3 X magnification. Saw a short 2009 video yesterday from PEO Soldier in which we were told the next step was to go digital and transmit what each soldier was seeing into the overall combat information system.

Regards,

John Kettler 

John, ever since the experiences of Vietnam the US Army (and military in general) has sought to "own the night." That saying has become doctrine for a lot of units and types of operations. For example, the Rangers conduct nearly all of their raids at night, due to the massive advantages thermal and other weapon/helmet mounted optics grant them. 

As to the 2009 video, that is likely on the proposed "Land Warrior" program, which never got off the ground for various reasons. One being that the batteries to power the system for the individual soldier were much to heavy and didn't last long enough in the field before becoming dead weight. The Stryker was supposed to me a cornerstone of the project, acting as the centralized hub of digital information flow. I believe the M25 grenade launcher is also a product of the "Land Warrior" system, though indirectly, due to its use of data linked ammunition. A very interesting project that just wasn't practical in reality. Maybe someday though.

7 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Green, -1, High?  ;)

That's 4-6 times less than US, France, UK if you take an average of about 200 hrs p.a. I'd rather deal with numbers - you may decide what it should mean in terms of experience.

@Sgt.Squarehead, and just to be precise - average flight time for an average RUS pilot is not particularly impressive as well. Significantly higher than UKR but still times less than US/UK practice. The exact figures were deemed confidential when they reduced the standards :):(

Edited by IMHO

38 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Just did.  ;)

To be fair it really doesn't mean much at all.....As the Germans found out in WWII you can be the best pilot in the world, but if the fuel truck doesn't show up.....

Or the best fighters in the world, like the Me 262. But only a handfull, so they get show down when landing.

On 7/18/2017 at 10:30 AM, IICptMillerII said:

<Snip>   the TWS, which is a thermal optic. 

On 7/18/2017 at 1:05 PM, IICptMillerII said:

Good info.  The detail of this game continues to amaze me.  

On 7/19/2017 at 7:53 AM, John Kettler said:

<Snip> the only atmospheric related thing US troops can't see through is broadband obscurant smoke from tanks!  <Snip>  

This appears to be the case, as long as the soldier with the TWS stays alive, for US fire teams.  The platoon leader also has TWS.  I was a little disappointed to see that forward observers and snipers (I checked all five US sniper teams) did not have TWS.