Infantry ignoring target arc, is it a bug or WAD

I've just recently reinstalled CMBS and patched to 1.04.  Playing the "Going to Town" scenario as the Russians I'm running into what seems to be a new problem.  I have set a 5m circular target arc on my sniper unit so as to not engage enemy units.  I wan him to act as a spotter for artillery.  I have tried moving using both the move and slow command to the 3rd floor of a building.  The unit gets there, begins to identify enemy units and then immediately starts firing off shots at units across the map.  This quickly gets the unit clobbered.  What am I doing wrong and how do I get my unit to hold fire?  

I haven't played since the 1.04 upgrade so do not know if this behavior changed with the newest patch.

Sburke,

Thanks for the reply.  Below is a link to the save game file. I could not attach it directly as it is 1.5Mb and exceeds the allowed maximum.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xx4gsdpw4bq8ofa/Test1.bts?dl=0

This save has only the sniper team's movement plotted.  No matter which movement option is selected for them, they seem to drop the target arc as soon as a target is spotted and then begin taking pot shots.  Needless to say, they don't last long.  

Any help or insight into how to better force this unit to act as a spotter would be appreciated.

MikeSinn,

If you don't want your snipers shooting, but a very short, say 15 m, full circle Cover Arc on them. Also, when moving into a position (and exiting to reposition), always use Slow for the last stretch (or initial exit move portion). This will greatly decrease the likelihood they'll be spotted. Should also tell you that the sniper AI is very good, which means that you can just set them up Weapons Free when sniping and just let them pick targets and shoot on their own until such time as you wish to cease, redeploy or what have you.

Regards,

John Kettler

23 hours ago, MikeSinn said:

This save has only the sniper team's movement plotted.  No matter which movement option is selected for them, they seem to drop the target arc as soon as a target is spotted and then begin taking pot shots.  Needless to say, they don't last long.  

Any help or insight into how to better force this unit to act as a spotter would be appreciated.

It's because you have a Face command attached to the end waypoint. Face and Target Arc are mutually exclusive so the Face command cancels the Arc. If you want the unit to face a certain direction while maintaining a Target Arc make a 180° or smaller arc with the midpoint of the arc in the direction to be faced.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

3 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

It's because you have a Face command attached to the end waypoint. Face and Target Arc are mutually exclusive so the Face command cancels the Arc. If you want the unit to face a certain direction while maintaining a Target Arc make a 180° or smaller arc with the midpoint of the arc in the direction to be faced.

Thanks!!!  That makes sense and would explain the issue.  Will give that scenario another go tonight.