Bagration

Can't launch the game anymore ...

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Presumably the best the community can do is to keep reporting the false positives, submitting files and generally nagging their AV providers?

Not a bad thing to do but honestly I just take matter into my own hands and white list the directory where I install the games. And if my AV does not allow that then they are uninstalled and replaced with one that does.

5 hours ago, Bagration said:

Maybe I have a folder of Red thunder somewhere who block my game every time, but I will try to install the 4.0 version with no antivirus active and see what happened.

Just understand that when you turn AV back on, if they are the problem, then they will block / guarantee / delete the game .exe again. The only reliable things that can solve this are for the AV guys to stop flagging the games as viruses (don't hold your breath for that) or you tell your AV software to stop checking files in the game directory.  I have all my BFC games under a single root folder and I white list that directory. AV problem solved.

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Reckon I'll follow a similar procedure when I reinstall CM:FI (might need your help with the licensing again) following Microsoft Internet Security's recent help.....Presumably the best the community can do is to keep reporting the false positives, submitting files and generally nagging their AV providers?

Good luck with that :D  The primary problem is that to defeat hacking of our code our security system has to do things which, to many AV packages, looks a lot like naughty behavior.  Kinda like how law enforcement often has to source information from criminals in order to catch criminals. ;)  This means AV software will sometimes flag CM as being a threat when in reality it is just operating defenses in the same places that hackers mess with.

Poorly implemented AV software locks down CM activities without informing the user.  We've had AV software block system access to specific files even and yet never bothers to alert the user or ask if it should block it.  So the customer, at our direction, pokes around deep in their AV software's settings (sometimes for the first time ever!) and finds CM files/folders on the naughty list.  Very frustrating for everybody.

Ian has it right.  Best thing to do is white list a newly installed CM directory before running it.  That's a sure way to avoid problems.  Or it should be!!

Thanks for your answer everyone, I will try directly the 4.00 version then, but I must say ... I tried to download the demo of RT and once installed .... I can't launch it just like the full game !

To me this sounds like there was a change to your system.  And...

But Last Blitz work just fine ... I ... just don't understand anymore, really ...

Our software keeps track of certain changes made to your computer.  After a certain number/type of changes are made the game decides "I am not on the same computer any more" and shuts down.  If CMFB was installed after CMRT it could be that CMRT saw more changes than CMFB and so it locked down while CMFB did not.  The CMRT Demo is an indication of this because accidentally that feature is enabled in the CMRT Demo (it should not be!).  Which means the Demo behaves the same as the actual game, so they should show the same behavior.

Maybe I have a folder of Red thunder somewhere who block my game every time, but I will try to install the 4.0 version with no antivirus active and see what happened.

Reinstalling Engine 4 (version 2.00) should fix the problem if you follow the steps mentioned in my previous post.  You *must* license both your original CMRT (Engine 3, version 1.03) and the Upgrade (Engine 4, version 2.00).

Steve

Nothing change and when I try to use the activation console on the red thunder files it crash directly ...

I guess I have the most rare bug of all :P

Or maybe my computer don't like the red army since I can play LB :lol:

Hello,

I guess it's a lost cause ? :(

I tried everything ...

Deactivated my AV and firewall during install = Fail

Remove and reinstall = Fail 

Install it on another partition = Fail 

Launch it on steam (saw one thread were it works) = Fail 

Dancing naked around my computer during a full moon and rainy day = Fail 

I absolutely change nothing at my computer whatsoever ... I bought Red thunder the 1 december 2016 and Last Blitz 11 december 2016, I put mods on this two games (skin, campaigns, sounds etc ...) and now I can only play LB without any problem (even if I remove and reinstall it).

Edited by Bagration

There is something unique to your RT install, but at this point BF are the only folks who can solve for you. It might require a remote connection to figure out what is wrong and fix, but I find it hard to believe it is unsolvable.  If one game runs, they both should.  

I hope so ... also I just buy the 4.0 version for FB and ... just like RT (the game launch that's not what I mean) the console for "activate the new product" launch and like 5 seconds after crash directly ... i can't even typing something :mellow:

There's something definitely different about your system.  We don't have any reports of Combat Mission "crashing" on any of the supported Windows and MacOSes that is not anti-virus related.  Everything you are telling me so far is consistent with anti-virus software problems.  So let's back up a little bit...

1.  software doesn't suddenly stop working.  It just doesn't happen.  There is always a reason and the reason is always something changed.  Unfortunately, change can include automatic updates that you might not even be aware of.

2.  installing and reinstalling isn't likely going to fix anything.  I wouldn't bother doing this any more.

3.  it is "good" that both RT v2.00 and FB v2.00 are experiencing the same problems.  They both use the same code so they should behave the same.  If they behaved differently then things get a little more complicated to solve.

4.  the games are "crashing" (sometimes things aren't crashes even if they look like them) before the licensing window comes up.  Even for a newly installed game.  This rules out licensing issues.

OK, so where does this leave us?  One question before I take a guess... did Red Thunder stop working before or after you upgraded to Engine 4 (game version 2.00)?

Steve

Hello,

Thanks for your answer, I plan in any case to do a complete new and fresh reinstallation of my PC so I can always give it a try after that.

For answer RT crashed way before the 4.00 version, I played in December, January, February and I stopped, I wanted to go back in May and it crash.

Edited by Bagration

4 hours ago, Bagration said:

Thanks for your answer, I plan in any case to do a complete new and fresh reinstallation of my PC so I can always give it a try after that.

When you get to the step where you are installing your games make sure you start by creating a directory that is white listed by your AV software. My personal setup is: I have a c:\Programs\BattleFront directory that all my CM games get installed into and that directory is white listed with the AV software. That way I never have a CM install interfered with by AV software.

I did that because I was tired of having AV software messing with my install and I would then have to go back an repair it and then white list the game directory. I would much rather not have any interaction with AV software when I know it is never going to do the right thing in this case.

Hello,

I've made a complete and fresh reinstall of my computer and now both of the games works fine in 4.00.

Been a long time time that I wanted to do it because some software didn't work properly already or didn't launch anymore (and worked fine before) when I saw that even the console for activate the products crashed, I didn't have any other option.

I'm pretty sure important files were removed on my computer one day (CCleaner fault maybe) and that's how everything started .... in any case thanks everyone for your help and time, I can finaly play this awesome games !

I too am running Windows 10. I am currently using Avast because I am annoyed with McAffee's marketing methods and was annoyed with Norton when I was running it. :)

So far I remain happy with Avast.

This is an old story but I recall out of the blue 'RezExplode' abruptly stopped working. Good-old RezExplode, which is reliable as a brick! It appears Widows for no discernible reason had decided that I now had to run the exe as 'administrator'. Not knowing that, I'd click on the exe and it would fail with no hints about what happened. I went through the torments of hell before figuring out what was going on. Ain't PCs fun!

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

This is an old story but I recall out of the blue 'RezExplode' abruptly stopped working. Good-old RezExplode, which is reliable as a brick! It appears Widows for no discernible reason had decided that I now had to run the exe as 'administrator'. Not knowing that, I'd click on the exe and it would fail with no hints about what happened. I went through the torments of hell before figuring out what was going on. Ain't PCs fun!

Why would widows care?  Did they think it was an affront to their husband's . . . . memory? <-obligatory PC reference  :D 

Hey there--Sounds a lot like the problem I am still having where all the games played just fine until 3 weeks ago and now not a single one will load!!!! I am using a computer with dual graphics cards (radeon 7850M & Intell HD 4000) and John and I from Tech support have not yet been able to fix it... We do think it has to do with the latest drivers from AMD (whose forums are full of equally bad issues---they really could care less if older titles still work according to the horses mouth) please let me know what if anything you do to fix your issue--it may end up helping me too.

Good luck

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:35 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Reckon I'll follow a similar procedure when I reinstall CM:FI (might need your help with the licensing again)

Reinstalled CM:FI following the various tips in this thread (AV exceptions etc.), input my licence key and.....Sorted!  B)