Bulletproof jeep

Were US jeeps bulletproof? Against MG42s at 20m range? I have a savegame showing that it seems to be the case in the game.

The jeep comes down a street, takes a handgrenade hit and then gets fired on by two MG42s. Both MGs spend a whole magazine each, but to no effect. Lots of "penetration" messages, but the driver is fine. He eventually bails out after the jeep takes a second handgrenade.

Once he leaves the safety of his invulnerable jeep, he is quickly dispatched.

Edited by Bulletpoint

a lucky bastard obviously. :D No idea about armored parts on the jeep, although I´d guess the frontal parts have maybe somewhat thicker metal plates. Main point I think is that as other majorily unarmored vehicles (trucks, kubels...), non lethal vehicle parts are in majority so jeeps and comparable vehicles can absorb quite a lot of lead, before beeing completely disabled. I´d check damage tab during turn replay to follow damaging progress.

The thing is, the bullets all hit the metal piece just beneath the windshield, in front of the driver. So the trajectory would take the bullets straight into the driver. I doubt that piece of the jeep is armoured, and since I get the penetration message, the game doesn't think so either. Yet the driver doesn't die.

I had the same thing happen with US paratroopers and a German Kübelwagen. I had set up an ambush and it came rolling down the road. It must have been hit close range by a hundred bullets or more, but like you nothing happened until the the driver stopped and got out, when he was promptly plugged. I could understand one or two bullets maybe passing through without hitting anything vital, but this car must have looked like a sieve after the first two or three seconds.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

Interesting. I recently had about five jeeps destroyed by small arms fire. I had no idea the scenario I was playing was an attack - thought it was a meeting engagement. So, long story shot, my platoon of jeep mounted paras that I dispatched to take a key cross road resulted in all hands lost and all jeeps burning wrecks. All from just small arms fire.

They were US jeeps BTW - I just put the Brit paras into them for transport trying to get the SMG heavy paras into some buildings around a cross roads.

7 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

Believability.

Michael

Really, you should know better than that after playing these games all these years.

There is times, I watch segments of battles play out and they seem so realistic and one of a kind moments. But then at other times, it shows me it is but just a game and it has programming that just cannot produce realistic results and the scene that plays out because of it defy logic.

And yes, there is something that seems to creep in on soft target trucks and jeeps  and such that does defy logic at times within the game.

And players have taken advantage of it for years.

But most of the time it gets it pretty right,  so for the times it does not, I let my imagination sore as seen above. Because, I figure we will always have some of them scenes no-matter how much programming they manage to throw at this game.

2 hours ago, slysniper said:

But most of the time it gets it pretty right...

Yes it does, probably better than any other game of its kind. Which is why we are all still here. But I am the kind of guy who tries to call a spade a spade, and when the game does not make the cut I will say so clearly and unambiguously.

Michael