Tons of Russian Military Books--Your Sanity at Risk

You may think I'm kidding, but I'm not. For you who don't know Russia are about to be dropped into a veritable whole new universe of grog goodness. I recently got exposed to the imprint Other Press via an offering on eBay, so I found another way to make my point. Sad to say, these books are in English, which makes me want to weep, though some have summaries and also photo captions in English.  When you go to a particular book, a large sidebar appears showing a bunch of pages to help you decide whether this one's for you. It's not that wretched Look Inside "feature" Amazon sometimes has in which lots of times you get to see no meat, as it were. 

OTH-609 T-64 Soviet Main Battle Tank Story. 50 Years in Service 

Hardcover. 160 pages, format 205 x 260 mm. Text in Russian. Color and b&w photos, pictures, schemes.

http://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?OTH-609

oth609.jpg

Image Credit: Other Press via AviaPress

http://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?OTH-407

OTH-407 Sukhoi Su-25 Grach. Armored heir of Il-2

oth407.jpg

If your wallet's causing you sciatica, this may help.

OTH-046 Encyclopedia of Russian and Soviet Artillery Weapon book

Hard cover, 900+ pages, more than 2000 photos!

oth046.jpg

The current catalog has scads of books covering land warfare, aerial warfare and naval warfare as far back as Tsarist times, with primary attention on Russian matters but some on other nations, as seen in a book on the IDF's Merkava and the US Patton tank series. From what I've seen, there is a wealth of grog material in these books, most of it unknown in the West. Would further observe I'm very glad I didn't have to put together that artillery tome, having been myself involved in editing and putting together a nearly 600 page book with almost zero illustrations and such. The work involved in that was staggering, yet is as nothing compared to what had to be done for this monster. Had I the money, I'd jump on the book, but I don't have ~$160 to hand!

Now that you're Other Press infected, here's the primary link. But first, learn the Cyrillic alphabet and get yourself one of these.

http://www.aviapress.com/viewproducer.htm?OTH

Once you have one of these books, be sure to thank me--after they let you out of the rubber room and the Halidol wears off.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

On 7/10/2017 at 0:03 AM, John Kettler said:

Sad to say, these books are in English

Hate when I drop a word, changing the entire meaning of what I was trying to say!  It should've read: "Sad to say, these books are not in English..." Now, at least, my lament in the OP makes sense, albeit belatedly.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

DougPhresh,

Good to know. My quantum state library may still have the old one, Soviet Bloc Elite Forces, which I kept as a reference when I was a Threat Analyst at Rockwell International. The Ron Volstad artwork was amazing, and I was so frustrated I didn't have the money to buy one of the original Spetsnaz paintings in the book. Shall keep an eye out for the new one, but have recently seen some blistering comments of egregious mistakes (wrong units, units in wrong places, etc.) in Osprey short books and even bigger ones in some of the full length stuff, which seems to be slap dash and thrown together from other works with no attention to much of anything, including fixing well-known previous mistakes. Apparently, Osprey doesn't provide any errata whatsoever. Mercifully, the only one I have is Besieged: Siege Warfare in the Ancient World, and it seemed very good to me. Am fairly knowledgeable in the topic and learned a great deal I didn't know. Besides, I got mine for a few bucks used and only later found it was from Osprey.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 1 year later...