New forum member

Good day everyone, long long time lurker here so I thought it's about time to introduce myself (you don't have to bother, I know you since many moons already :)). I've been playing CM since CMBO was released and I think I own all the titles, modules and packs except FI and the modern stuff. WW2 is the thing for me and specifically east front, might have something to do with me being Finnish and all that. 

I dropped by at the forums after a bit longer while and saw a post about decreasing number of active posters and the fact that even those are getting scattered in the different sub-forums. Someone suggested it might make sense to consolidate into two main forums, one for modern and one for WW2, and that would seem to make a lot of sense. I was trying to figure out which forum should I write this post and checked their activity - they're all nowhere near to what they used to be from what I recall and in fact, pretty silent :(. I then ended up here in CMBN since this one seems to have seen most activity recently. I was thinking CMRT first because I wanted to - but here I am.

Anyway, with a new iMac on the desk, all 4.0 upgrades purchased, Guy Sajer's 'The Forgotten Soldier' on my bedside table and some good Ale beer in the fridge I thought I'd get back to WW2 PBEM'ing and wanted to - in addition to maybe start contributing to some discussions here - check out if I can find any opponents here. CMBN, CMRT and CMFB are all fine, and I don't mind playing any sides or any type of battles either. So if interested, just shout!

Cheers and happy summer for all the comrades in arms here, as well as the BF staff of course, if they still find their way here into the forums! :)

Well, you've certainly taken your time about introducing yourself, but since you have good taste in reading materiel, I think forgiveness is in order.
I'll gladly play you, but if you want a true introduction to the community, hunt down @Sublime and ask him for a game.
He'll happily carve your guts out and ask for seconds, if he has time to play.

Hello Lucas,

Welcome to the BF Forum...No need to contact Subslime at this point as he is to far gone with addiction, and brain is nothing more then mush.

However, PM sent regarding PBEM Opponent.

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

What better way to introduce someone to a forum than by showcasing how you are a crass, classless pig? :rolleyes:

Welcome regardless, I suppose. Ignore the idiots, the rest of us do.

Edited by Rinaldi

Lucas,

Welcome aboard (though you've long hidden somewhere on the ship)!

Since you've been lurking, you already know why I'm not rushing to do battle with you. As for Sublime, who is indeed a terror, I can tell you he plays Russians only and, I believe, confines his evisceration activities solely to CMBS, a game conspicuously not in your list and assuredly not WW II in any case.

Regards,

John Kettler

On 7/9/2017 at 8:00 PM, JoMc67 said:

Hello Lucas,

Welcome to the BF Forum...No need to contact Subslime at this point as he is to far gone with addiction, and brain is nothing more then mush.

However, PM sent regarding PBEM Opponent.

Joe

No matter how this was intended, very bad form.  Especially for someone coming to the forum rather fresh.  I'm tempted to give you an involuntary vacation for a week because of it, but I don't recall seeing you cross the line before so I'm going to let this go with a serious warning.  Please, think twice before dragging another member through the mud like that.

Lucas, welcome to the Forum and please don't think this is a normal reception for new posters.  Even for Finns :D  Yes, it is true that we love to give Finns a hard time, but it is only because it's a 20 year tradition started by Finns!

Steve

18 hours ago, Armorgunner said:

Welcome lucas

From the country that made some of the best ww2 Movies ever made: Tuntematon sotilas and Talvisota.

Regarding Tuntematon sotilas, i like the 1985 version made by Rauni Mollberg the most. And in this october there is a new version comming out again :D

Which Tuntematon sotilas would you recommend? from 1955 or 1985?

Welcome to the forums Lucas. I used to be part of the SPWAW forums and we had a big community of Finns. Looks like you guys really love Strategy games. I'm also a big player of Unreal World, I think it has the World Record on longer development, or something similar. It's made by two Finns.

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎12 at 2:56 AM, Ivan Zaitzev said:

Welcome to the forums Lucas. I used to be part of the SPWAW forums and we had a big community of Finns. Looks like you guys really love Strategy games. I'm also a big player of Unreal World, I think it has the World Record on longer development, or something similar. It's made by two Finns.

As i wrote in the post you quoted, the 1985 version of Tuntematon sotilas :D. It has what most Hollywood movies do not have. It shows the horror, and the misery. That was there, in a truly amazing way. It make´s you feel, that you was almost there.

Normaly i don like Finnish Movies at all. But The 1985 version of  Tuntematon sotilas. Is so got damn good, it´s a shame if you dont see it. But ofcorse, you need subs in your language. Otherwise it might be a waste of time, maybe. The combat is very realisticly done, no big fireballs Hollywoodstyle. Just the explosions, the smoke, the fear, the dead, the wounded, and the amazing storytelling. Only maybe, better told in Saving private Ryan. But only maybe.

Talvisota should allso be named as a really good ww2 Movie. Maybe not to the superior level of Tuntematon sotilas though.

I Think i have seen all Finnish WW2 Movies, and there are quite a lot of them. These two stood out from the rest.

Edited by Armorgunner

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎12 at 2:56 AM, Ivan Zaitzev said:

I had to check my DVD. And the DVD release of Tuntematon Sotilas, in Sweden. Has all Nordic countries subs, and English/American Subs to.

Edited by Armorgunner

7 hours ago, Armorgunner said:

I had to check my DVD. And the DVD release of Tuntematon Sotilas, in Sweden. Has all Nordic countries subs, and English/American Subs to.

I totally missed the second part of your post! I find that European war movies are better than American movies. The German Stalingrad, the Russian Brest Fortress, the Finnish Talvisota, and some others are really good.

Uh-oh, so many people here and I was out only for few days, checking the Russian border. All calm, but funnily enough one household near the border had purchased and set up an old AT gun in the courtyard, facing east of course. Finnish humor. Or maybe he was serious, dunno.

Armorgunner and Ivan Z, should look forward to the new version of Tuntematon Sotilas coming up later this year. Meanwhile, be sure to check out a movie called 1944, if you haven't already. Released a couple of years ago, it is an Estonian war drama telling the story how Estonians were divided into two and ended up fighting each other alongside Red Army and German army. Very good movie.