CV90 Crewman, ask away!

Artkin

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She says the vehicle is primarily infantry support and transport. A majority of the time the inf will be loaded in the vehicle, and the platoon will dismount in combat. They have two javelins per platoon. The armament is the 30mm and a 7.62 coax. A CROWS javelin is an option for their vehicles but she does not have it. Wishes she did !

Thank you!  

Under what circumstances would the vehicle expose itself to give inf support?  In our CMBS game, it seems generally to be a bad idea to ever expose an IFV as they are so vulnerable.  So, we tend to use IFV's as armored transports - keeping them well away from combat.  But, then what is the use of all of the IFV's weapons systems?

Or, is the RL use of CV90 different than what we see depicted in the CMBS game?

She says the versions in the video thumbnails are actually old versions of the CV. The ones in her squadron are the cv9030 2016's with the gigantic crows system on the top. Her squadron composition is two mechanized companies, one armored, one support, and one recon.

For now she had told me that in a situation where the infantry are under fire the leopard 2a4's would push up to assist them. After her recon company sends reports of low amounts or lack of of anti tank weapons is she instructed to go on the offense. She says the vehicle will remain in defilade while the crows system engages.

So it is quite possible we use ifv's quite aggressively in CMBS.

The 30mm is stabilized and has no trouble at all taking on targets on the move. The AP rounds are powerful enough to engage the turret of a tank. I assume this is to destroy any sighting systems etc. 

The weapon system itself tracks moving targets just like the Abrams. She had participated in the Norwegian US/NR training events between the USMC and then the Army. As far as acquisition, everyone in the vehicle is given thermals.

She is unsure about the side skirts and their protection from HEAT rounds. However, the side skirts are designed in three parts. The top most slab of armor is designed to withstand non-continuous 30mm fire. 

The part under that is designed for lesser small arms (Assumed 14.5)

And the bottom most part of the skirt is used for thermal protection. 

Thermal cloaks are standard issue for the vehicles. They are primarily used in the winter however. 

In the other months, tree branches are used to cover the vehicles. 

12 minutes ago, Artkin said:

She is unsure about the side skirts and their protection from HEAT rounds. However, the side skirts are designed in three parts. The top most slab of armor is designed to withstand non-continuous 30mm fire. 

The part under that is designed for lesser small arms (Assumed 14.5)

And the bottom most part of the skirt is used for thermal protection. 

Thermal cloaks are standard issue for the vehicles. They are primarily used in the winter however. 

In the other months, tree branches are used to cover the vehicles. 

Is there a norwegian word for opsec?

Artkin,

What a great opportunity!  Most informative Q & A.

RepsolCBR,

Believe the commentator on your video has set a new record for longest delay in announcing the armament of an AFV. Thought the next item was going to be what somebody in the crew ate a week ago! Terrible quality BMP clips, and somebody really screwed up because I saw the US Crusader SPH. I like the looks of the CV90 a lot, and I think it strikes a good balance between armament and dismount capacity. The second video was a feast of info on the cannon and the various firing modes for smart rounds. That was a tremendous firepower demonstration which showcased formidable capabilities against all sorts of targets. Especially liked the thought involved in not switching on the prox fuze until it was right on top of the target, thus nullifying the large defended zone bubble afforded by Russian prox fuze popping systems. 

panzersaurkrautwerfer,

Mom was of self-described Scandihoovian extraction and talked, on occasion, about lutefisk when I was a kid. The description didn't sound at all appealing. Was spared any direct human testing! I have had that herring and sour cream dish, but found the onions, even as a kid, to be awfully rough on my tummy.

sypox,

From a NATO perspective, your question regarding a Norwegian term for "OPSEC" is irrelevant. Why? NATO has two official languages only: English and French. Here is the OPSEC entry. Taken from Page O-8 of:

NATO GLOSSARY OF ABBREVIATIONS USED IN NATO DOCUMENTS AND PUBLICATIONS

GLOSSAIRE OTAN DES ABRÉVIATIONS UTILISÉES DANS LES DOCUMENTS ET PUBLICATIONS OTAN 

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a474585.pdf

OPSEC
operations security sécurité des opérations 

Regards,

John Kettler. 

Edited by John Kettler

4 hours ago, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

Does the vehicle come with the proper arrangements to safely transport lutefisk?  

It does however come with an ample stock of...surströmming...

A terrifying Swedish 'chemical weapon' not yet banned by the UN...;)

Edited by RepsolCBR

15 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

It does however come with an ample stock of...surströmming...

A terrifying Swedish 'chemical weapon' not yet banned by the UN...;)

That disgusting ****, should really be banned by the UN. I had puke feelings for three days after trying that. Only for people up North.

17 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Artkin,

What a great opportunity!  Most informative Q & A.

RepsolCBR,

Believe the commentator on your video has set a new record for longest delay in announcing the armament of an AFV. Thought the next item was going to be what somebody in the crew ate a week ago! Terrible quality BMP clips, and somebody really screwed up because I saw the US Crusader SPH. I like the looks of the CV90 a lot, and I think it strikes a good balance between armament and dismount capacity. The second video was a feast of info on the cannon and the various firing modes for smart rounds. That was a tremendous firepower demonstration which showcased formidable capabilities against all sorts of targets. Especially liked the thought involved in not switching on the prox fuze until it was right on top of the target, thus nullifying the large defended zone bubble afforded by Russian prox fuze popping systems. 

panzersaurkrautwerfer,

Mom was of self-described Scandihoovian extraction and talked, on occasion, about lutefisk when I was a kid. The description didn't sound at all appealing. Was spared any direct human testing! I have had that herring and sour cream dish, but found the onions, even as a kid, to be awfully rough on my tummy.

sypox,

From a NATO perspective, your question regarding a Norwegian term for "OPSEC" is irrelevant. Why? NATO has two official languages only: English and French. Here is the OPSEC entry. Taken from Page O-8 of:

NATO GLOSSARY OF ABBREVIATIONS USED IN NATO DOCUMENTS AND PUBLICATIONS

GLOSSAIRE OTAN DES ABRÉVIATIONS UTILISÉES DANS LES DOCUMENTS ET PUBLICATIONS OTAN 

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a474585.pdf

OPSEC
operations security sécurité des opérations 

Regards,

John Kettler. 

This is a good description, of how the 3P round works. Even though some of it was  

in RepsolCBR´s  exellent Video.

Edited by Armorgunner