CV90 Crewman, ask away!

Artkin

On 6/29/2017 at 11:12 PM, Heinrich505 said:

Artkin,

Does your guest find the CV90 easy to steer and maneuver?  From the videos it seems like the vehicle is very nimble.

Does the vehicle bog or handle messy (snow and mud) terrain well?  The tracks don't look especially wide.

What sort of career path does she have?  From driver, would she move up to gunner and eventually commander?

Heinrich505

Firstly, let me apologize for the delay. We have been on a camping trip and the wifi sucks to say the least.

She says yes to the first two, the vehicle is quick and handles well. It was designed around the rough weather. 

She doesn't want to move up right now. However she is qualified to gun since every crewman is trained for the same system. The commander is off limits for now, as she must be a NCO. Currently she is a private (They share American ranks).

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/30/2017 at 5:54 AM, Combatintman said:

Ok ... I'll be the one then ... is she fit?

She is beautiful and fit. Handled an hour run in the sunny and humid weather today. It won't stop raining!

Also we had worked out together before we left. Previously in the year she was squatting 200lbs. At my place, with my extremely ghetto setup, we managed ~170 before having to drop down in weight. When we get back we will see how strong her arms are. 

9 hours ago, c3k said:

Driving: Track care? How often does it throw a track? What kind of slope can it traverse (parallel to the slope)? How much engine maintenance must be done? What about the reliability of the weapons, sights, hydraulics, auto-loader, MG belt feed, etc?

...and, of course: any pictures? (Of HER, you dolt! ;) )

Hahaha. No creepshots sorry guys! Maybe I'll snag one of us together and post it... but no rushing it! :D:wub:

Edited by Artkin

9 hours ago, c3k said:

Driving: Track care? How often does it throw a track? What kind of slope can it traverse (parallel to the slope)? How much engine maintenance must be done? What about the reliability of the weapons, sights, hydraulics, auto-loader, MG belt feed, etc?

She says the tracks don't throw often. Never had it happen to her but she's heard of it happening within her ranks. 

She can't recall the degree amount. Told me to look it up. 

Engine maintenance happens twice a year as scheduled. Her vehicle itself has been extremely reliable and hasn't required a repair. Other CV's seem to fair worse. 

As typical of a lady so pristine, she lets the repair crews do all the dirty work and "helps out" whatever small things she can 

They seem to have very good vehicles. When the Norway-USA training was occuring, the Marines' vehicles would often have issues, be sluggish in the winter conditions, and are tremendously louder. She told me the Abrams is silent. When you see it that's when you'll hear it. 

Interesting re Abrams - I've always assumed, read and watched that it's turbine is loud - but perhaps it's noise falls off quickly. I'd imagine that the rumble of a diesel/gas engine carries significantly further?

But the tracks alone should make a racket, no? 

Forgive my non-mil ignorance... 

10 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

The Abrams is indeed amazingly quiet irl.

The groan of the tracks, when an Abrams starts moving is actually louder  than the engine. a Bradley on the other hand screams like a Banshee.

Edited by Splinty
bad spelling

On 6/30/2017 at 4:55 PM, John Kettler said:

Artkin,

What brought her into the Swedish Army, if that's the right term? How long has she been in the Swedish Army?  How long was her basic training or equivalent? What led her to into her present job? How long was the training for it? Does she plan on being a lifer? Any thoughts of being an NCO or an officer? Does Sweden have female line infantry, as it were? When did Sweden first make jobs like hers available to women? Thanks for passing these on.

Regards,

John Kettler

She was brought in due to the same childhood fantasies of being a police officer or a fire(wo)man. Always wanted to do something significant.

She has been at her job for three years now. I say job because she makes a decent salary or around 50k USD. 

Her basic training was eight weeks, which to me seems extremely short.

She's a little shy. She says the reason why she joined as a driver was because it seemed fun as opposed to the other jobs. 

She doesn't plan on staying for life, as she wishes to further her education in Australia. 

As for the rest of your questions John, they will be answered soon, as she is tired and a little overwhelmed with the fantastic amount interest! Certainly everything will be answered after our camping fiasco. :) 

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

Australia for education..???? 

Erwin,

If she, say, wanted to study marsupials, pretty much the only option would be a zoo in Sweden, and no guarantees on that, either. Sweden doesn't have so much as a possum , whereas the list of marsupials in  (color pics included) Australia and surrounds is long. 

Regards,

John Kettler

The Abrams is something else.  It sounds like someone is operating a vacuum cleaner somewhere.  At AOBC I was in a dismounted OP, we had our helmets off, radio turned real low overwatching one of the main roads through the training area.  We knew a platoon was coming our way simply because we were at where the road forked to either go into the open mud flats that 70+ years of tankers had town out of the Kentucky wilderness, or to go west if I recall to take advantage of a maintenance road that would canalize their movement, but put them outside of our main defensive position's engagement area.  

We could hear every damned HMMWV in the area, the M88 somewhere doing recovery options, helicopters, but no contact, just occasionally a sort of distant whine.  Then the whole platoon of Abrams rounded the bend at rifle range, and it was just that sort of vacuum cleaner a few houses over noise, with the chatter of the tracks.  If our PL for that iteration had seen fit to give us the few remaining AT rounds we had (our ability to kill tanks was reliant on having the AT rocket simulator pyro charges for our MILEs rocket launcher, this was the last day in the field so we were down to maybe four for the platoon, which went to people cooler than us) we might have made things messy, but just the shock of 280 tons worth of tank appearing at whisper quiet was something else.  We got off our contact report and then were left alone with the distant roar of the M88 and the fading heat of the exhaust in a matter of seconds.   

3 hours ago, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

The Abrams is something else.  It sounds like someone is operating a vacuum cleaner somewhere.  At AOBC I was in a dismounted OP, we had our helmets off, radio turned real low overwatching one of the main roads through the training area.  We knew a platoon was coming our way simply because we were at where the road forked to either go into the open mud flats that 70+ years of tankers had town out of the Kentucky wilderness, or to go west if I recall to take advantage of a maintenance road that would canalize their movement, but put them outside of our main defensive position's engagement area.  

We could hear every damned HMMWV in the area, the M88 somewhere doing recovery options, helicopters, but no contact, just occasionally a sort of distant whine.  Then the whole platoon of Abrams rounded the bend at rifle range, and it was just that sort of vacuum cleaner a few houses over noise, with the chatter of the tracks.  If our PL for that iteration had seen fit to give us the few remaining AT rounds we had (our ability to kill tanks was reliant on having the AT rocket simulator pyro charges for our MILEs rocket launcher, this was the last day in the field so we were down to maybe four for the platoon, which went to people cooler than us) we might have made things messy, but just the shock of 280 tons worth of tank appearing at whisper quiet was something else.  We got off our contact report and then were left alone with the distant roar of the M88 and the fading heat of the exhaust in a matter of seconds.   

Fascinating. 

On 6/30/2017 at 4:55 PM, John Kettler said:

Artkin,

What brought her into the Swedish Army, if that's the right term? How long has she been in the Swedish Army?  How long was her basic training or equivalent? What led her to into her present job? How long was the training for it? Does she plan on being a lifer? Any thoughts of being an NCO or an officer? Does Sweden have female line infantry, as it were? When did Sweden first make jobs like hers available to women? Thanks for passing these on.

Regards,

John Kettler

She doesn't want the responsibility of being a NCO. The pay isn't worth it. She said it was something like 6-7k more a year. Of course they have females in the army she says. They're "just awesome". Apparently Norway has always had females in the military, or so she says. Cannot confirm :-)

Edited by Artkin

On 7/1/2017 at 9:01 AM, c3k said:

I was hoping to get a better picture of just us together before she left, as a farewell gift for myself :D. Gives me a reason to hold her hip :ph34r:.

Oh well, demand is rising. She is the one on my right in the green.

19420525_10155250353906136_2537349847368

Live long and prosper.

Edited by Artkin

11 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Just the kind of driver I'd pick for my AFV. Thanks!

:)

Michael

If you enjoy the sassy type who partially disregards rank when she speaks then she will be perfect for you!

5 hours ago, c3k said:

LOL... Nice pic, but something from inside the CV90 would've been so much groggier. ;)  

Looks like you guys were going to, or coming from, having fun at a beach. Hope it was as much fun as this thread.

Thanks.

You'd think of a menace since they take after their viking ancestors, but she is significantly more docile. However, she did tell me she would eat the flesh of her enemies if she had to. 

We were on our way to the beach and had a blast in the freezing water :P.

Glad you boys enjoyed the thread. You are certainly welcome!

21 hours ago, Erwin said:

I would hate to see these nice kids in a real war.  :(    If CMBS has even a passing relationship to RL, a modern war could be a massacre. 

Me too. And I still think, that women in combat positions are not good. The army should be only of men, or only of women´s. Since women and men, tend to like eachother. When they are combined in a combat unit, there will be situations. When people will refuse orders, to save some loveheart. Sorry to say, but thats the truth. I have no problem with an army of womans though. Then i can be home cooking food, and taking a beer :D