Cavalry

We need cavalry. And motorcycles, of course.

BTW, does anybody know Pinterest? I opened an account a while ago, but I am still not sure what to make of it. In any case, they offer an amazing amount of pictures, though with very varying quality. Just found this one there:

a8d3e7a3ba83486e1ea3aff7407035a9.jpg

Edited by StieliAlpha

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The focus is just too crisp.

And to my eye the 'cycle is too clean. This would have had to have taken place either in Poland '39 or USSR '41, and I suspect that this particular encounter would have occurred only after several days or more of hard campaigning. But the bike looks like it just came off the showroom floor.

Michael

21 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Something about that image screams re-enactors/actors to me.....The focus is just too crisp.

Hmm, yeah. But the picture quality is pretty poor and it looks like a cut-out from a larger scene.

15 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

And to my eye the 'cycle is too clean. This would have had to have taken place either in Poland '39 or USSR '41, and I suspect that this particular encounter would have occurred only after several days or more of hard campaigning. But the bike looks like it just came off the showroom floor.

Michael

The description on Pinterest said "Poland 39". The campaign started on a dry 1st September morning (considering the Luftwaffe actions, even at night). Look at some of the pic's here: http://m.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-110599-17.html

You don't see too much dirt either.

Last but not least: Look at the face of the cavalry man. It looks quite tense. Much more so, than any reenactor's face, I have seen to date. Normally those guys don't look too involved.

Edited by StieliAlpha

20 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

It's a problem that's only going to get worse.....My nephew has already learned how to make basic fake UFO photos in Photoshop, he's ten years old!  I must confess to having played a fairly major part in him acquiring that particular skill-set.  ;)

And I "ancient alien" have been worried about the CGI in the first "Independance Day" back then...

BTW, my (or better my wife's) nephew, at the age of 18 or something, laughs at me for playing CM.

4 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

BTW, my (or better my wife's) nephew, at the age of 18 or something, laughs at me for playing CM.

He's going to be quite embarrassed when he grows up and gets it.  ;)

My nephew is fighting his first CM:BN campaign.....He's picked it up pretty well, but the slow pace of the game means he can only concentrate for so long, which is fair enough for a ten year old TBH.

20 minutes ago, IanL said:

Yep, re-enactors. Ilford HP5 was introduced in 1976 but HP5 Plus not until 1989.

source: http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Chronology.html

Looks like the first HP film was introduced in 1935 - so good choice of modern film to shoot a re-enactment with ;)

Sorry I forgot to add the link in that post, the image is taken from a re-enactors site (which I now can't find again) and posted for comparison.

I still haven't tracked down the original image yet, but I'm very confident that it's modern.....Mostly because on the few occasions the Polish Cavalry did attack the Germans, the last thing they would have had time to do is take pictures, focussing and framing them perfectly while they're at it! 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

21 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Sorry I forgot to add the link in that post, the image is taken from a re-enactors site (which I now can't find again) and posted for comparison.

I still haven't tracked down the original image yet, but I'm very confident that it's modern.....Mostly because on the few occasions the Polish Cavalry did attack the Germans, the last thing they would have had time to do is take pictures, focussing and framing them perfectly while they're at it! 

Well, the pic is taken from the German side, but go ahead and find the "original".

Yeah, a short while ago, say three years, I told some young colleagues in their thirties, that I am playing CM by mail or Dropbox, and that a large game might take up to a year. And they could not believe it.....

8 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Yeah, a short while ago, say three years, I told some young colleagues in their thirties, that I am playing CM by mail or Dropbox, and that a large game might take up to a year. And they could not believe it.....

Then they would be astounded by what boardgamers got up to 40 years ago and what naval miniatures gamers were doing 25 years before that.

Michael

2 hours ago, Wicky said:

Fake

1939%20Cav%20v%20Mot.jpg

I notice that the driver has a beard and mustache and both he and his passenger are fat. And I repeat, the 'cycle is too clean to have been involved in maneuvers let alone active combat. I can accept no mud because it hadn't rained recently, but no dust either? That's not exactly an Autobahn they're sitting on.

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael Emrys said:

I notice that the driver has a beard and mustache and both he and his passenger are fat. And I repeat, the 'cycle is too clean to have been involved in maneuvers let alone active combat. I can accept no mud because it hadn't rained recently, but no dust either? That's not exactly an Autobahn they're sitting on.

Michael

Yep, the riddle is really solved. Fake.

Good catch with the fat faces. That does not come out so clearly on the small B/W pic.

Edited by StieliAlpha

3 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Good catch with the fat faces. That does not come out so clearly on the small B/W pic.

Yeah, I would never have spotted it in the B&W either. I know because after I saw it in the color, I went back to see if I could see it in the B&W and I couldn't. Also couldn't make out that they were overweight in the smaller image.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

Seems to me this re-enactor unit has lax physical appearance standards if such outrageously unmilitary facial hair as the driver is sporting is permissible. I do like the way he's trying to get out the way of the saber stroke, that the horse, ears perked up, is caught in mid gallop with only one hoof down. Like the dust spout from the last hoof strike, too. On a separate note, MajorSurplus has the Ural motorcycle and sidecar copied from the familiar BMW design. Yours for a mere $10K base price. MG not included!

Regards,

John Kettler