Lend-Lease stuff coming soon?

1 hour ago, HUSKER2142 said:

The restored tank M3 raised from the bottom of the Barents Sea. Interestingly,  transmission and engine are original or taken from MTLB.

Wow, they did a beautiful job, amazing that that clunker is running!

Now that's an interesting M3.....I'm pretty sure the bogies are replacements, taken from a late production M4A2 (the road-wheels certainly are).  B)

PS - Come to think of it, that Sherman must have a tale to tell too.....I don't think any HVSS M4A2s were sent to the Soviets and that looks more like a M4A3(76)W HVSS to me.  Could it have been a gift from friends in China/North Korea I wonder?  Or did someone just buy one? 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

4 hours ago, HUSKER2142 said:

.Why does the M3 have so many machineguns ?

That was the thinking back when it was designed. It was kind of a holdover from the First World War and the tanks that came into service then. Tanks were seen as mobile fortresses, able to spit bullets in all directions.

Michael

Russia saw its first 'rigidly mounted' hull machine guns on lend-lease Stuarts and M3s. They must've liked the idea because they added rigidly mounted bow MGs to IS-85,  IS-1, IS-2, and T44 and T54. Didn't delete the hull mg off their tanks until T55M, I think.

Edited by MikeyD