Lend-Lease stuff coming soon?

8 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

Do you need a consultant for Canadian TO&E and OOB for 2012-2017? ;)

Not for CMSF2 as that is going to be a literal translation of CMSF1.  For a CMBS Module, we might very well need some help.  Though we have a bunch of Canucks in uniform on our testing team that have been oh so anxious to spill national secrets.  For example, that Canadians like hockey ;)

8 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Yes! That is a bone. If you give me another one I will not ask for anything more this year. Will the Waffen SS be included in the next module for CMRT?

If I said "yes", would that make you happy?  Because it happens to be yes.

5 hours ago, Jumpete said:

Thanks for the update Steve.
Obviously, all these is a great amount of work for next months. Now, I'm thinking in Rome to Victory module which is being developed since long time ago (first news about it in Xmas bone '15). Can you say us if its release is near or we still would need to wait a few months more?

Sadly, Rome To Victory is the one project most affected by Chris' departure because it was unusually dependent upon his scenario work for the campaign.  Usually we have the work more dispersed, but this one was mostly on him.  Which probably contributed to the burn out.  We're VERY far along in many ways, but the content is still in need of quite a bit of work.

Steve

4 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Sadly, Rome To Victory is the one project most affected by Chris' departure because it was unusually dependent upon his scenario work for the campaign.  Usually we have the work more dispersed, but this one was mostly on him.  Which probably contributed to the burn out.  We're VERY far along in many ways, but the content is still in need of quite a bit of work.

Steve

That makes me very happy. I don't mind the waiting so much, as long as I know what I'm waiting for. Thank you for this bone.

13 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Not for CMSF2 as that is going to be a literal translation of CMSF1.

This is perfect, no equipment removal compare to CMSF1. I am fine with this except for just one thing that I do not think the engine upgrade will bring. What about drones? I will let the military expert here to comment but I think they were some drones in 2007. We could leave APS for CMBS only. But, I think drones would be a great addition for CMSF2. Do you have another bone to share? :)

Thanks in advance for all the stuff you and the team are doing.

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:30 PM, Battlefront.com said:

We don't own the content for CM:A and that pushes it way down on our priority list for updating because it would involve quite a bit of work with considerable risk the effort wouldn't be worth doing vs. putting the same time and resources into other stuff.

Sad (but not entirely surprised) to hear this.....Could we at least get the units from that game, to widen the spectrum of available UnCons and allow us to model the Afghan War? 

Optionally is there any possible way to fix the trucks in CM:A?  The game really is pretty bloody good apart from those things (it's still my personal favourite), if the original CM:SF trucks could be ported over it would make a massive difference to the game.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

15 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Not for CMSF2 as that is going to be a literal translation of CMSF1.  For a CMBS Module, we might very well need some help.  Though we have a bunch of Canucks in uniform on our testing team that have been oh so anxious to spill national secrets.  For example, that Canadians like hockey ;)

Well hot damn! Most of the time Steve talks about CMBS future modules he mentions various armies and I usually ask "can you add Canadians to that list, please" and the conversation ends in silence :) . But one request from you and he's all - yeah we probably don't need help getting them in. Excellent. I'll claim credit for planting the idea and keeping the CF top of his mind. :)

15 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

LOL he said if you answered he would stop asking so either way you would be covered but you had to go and make him happy :)

11 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

<snip> Thank you for this bone.

I don't know about in the Netherlands (or should I say nether regions) but here in Canada that sounds a bit personal there ;)

8 minutes ago, IanL said:

Well hot damn! Most of the time Steve talks about CMBS future modules he mentions various armies and I usually ask "can you add Canadians to that list, please" and the conversation ends in silence :) . But one request from you and he's all - yeah we probably don't need help getting them in. Excellent. I'll claim credit for planting the idea and keeping the CF top of his mind. :)

LOL he said if you answered he would stop asking so either way you would be covered but you had to go and make him happy :)

I don't know about in the Netherlands (or should I say nether regions) but here in Canada that sounds a bit personal there ;)

It hasn't been difficult for you to reach more than 10.000 posts, has it, IanL? ;)

3 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

This is perfect, no equipment removal compare to CMSF1. I am fine with this except for just one thing that I do not think the engine upgrade will bring. What about drones? I will let the military expert here to comment but I think they were some drones in 2007. We could leave APS for CMBS only. But, I think drones would be a great addition for CMSF2. Do you have another bone to share? :)

Thanks in advance for all the stuff you and the team are doing.

Good question.  At the time we did CMSF the use of drones was minimal and mostly being done at higher levels.  That changed dramatically soon after we released CMSF.  So I'd have to say "no" to that.  We are also saying "no" to changing things we guessed at which turned out to be wrong.  In particular the Marines incorporation of M32 grenade launchers into their squads.  At the time the plan was to issue two per squad, which is what we did, but that got changed to one.

That said, we will rework some aspects of CMSF1 to conform to new capabilities of CMSF2.  Three things come straight to mind:

1.  reworking certain rifle platoon structures (almost all Syrian, German, and Dutch IIRC) where the real structures have 1st Squad as the Platoon HQ.  As you might recall, for a very long time (Upgrade 3?) the game required the HQ to be a Team, therefore we had to artificially break up 1st Squad into two Teams.  That is something we plan to rectify.

2.  Trenches in CMSF were baked into the maps and therefore had no fog of war or player placement options.  That changed with CMBN v1.00 and we are planning on going back and reworking that.

3.  a ton of artwork is being gone over to take advantage of masking and shader improvements made with Upgrade 2.  Big effort there.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Sad (but not entirely surprised) to hear this.....Could we at least get the units from that game, to widen the spectrum of available UnCons and allow us to model the Afghan War? 

No, sorry.  All CMA content is owned by another party.  We can't use any of it without their permission.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Optionally is there any possible way to fix the trucks in CM:A?  The game really is pretty bloody good apart from those things (it's still my personal favourite), if the original CM:SF trucks could be ported over it would make a massive difference to the game.

The old code is not anything we want to work with again.  So Afghanistan will remain frozen "as is" for the foreseeable future.

Steve

Great news about the work in progress Steve,

1.  CMFI Rome to Victory (2nd and final Module for CMFI)  

2.  CMRT Module One (yet to be named, but takes the game through to the end of the war)  About time this game got some attention!!

3.  CMSF2 which brings the original content into the current Engine 4 environment - Wow I thought this was on the pipe dream list, great to see it's happening!!

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎10 at 2:11 AM, Battlefront.com said:

As for announcing what is coming out and when... well, we're working on that.  With Chris gone it's put a bit of a wrinkle in our plans.  Nothing is getting cut, but things might not be coming out in the order we had intended.  In the works right now are:

1.  CMFI Rome to Victory (2nd and final Module for CMFI)

2.  CMRT Module One (yet to be named, but takes the game through to the end of the war)

3.  CMSF2 which brings the original content into the current Engine 4 environment

We have several other things being worked on this year, but the above are the three we're focusing on at the moment.

Steve

Big thanks for the bones Steve :D

CMSF2 is my comming loveheart. It is sometimes frustrating to play CMSF, when used to 4.0 Engine.

CMRT module is my second, since i love CMRT.

CMFI Rome to victory, that have to be my number three. But still a certain buy :D.

And now to a question. Can I expect anyone of these in 2017? 

Chaulk me down as Day One for CMSF2 as well. 

One quibble about Canadian artwork: Most guys deployed to Afghan rotos in '10 with temperate CADPAT frag vests, tac vests, camelbacks or all three! 

Will the mast on Coyotes be represented in some way?

To at least notionally get to the topic at hand - The RG's we were lend leased ;) by the Americans came in desert and not temperate paint.

Not that I actually know anything on the topic, but my guess would be that CMSF2 would probably be one giant communal upgrade rather like CMBF v4 with all its modules. That seems to be how BFC rolls these days. Upgrading individual module bits would require inserting the necessary key code rather than downloading extra stuff.

I'm rather excited about CMSF2. The changes in AI and interface over the years have been vast. We tend to forget how far the game engine has progressed. Hit decals, fog and rain alone will radically change gameplay.

21 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Good question.  At the time we did CMSF the use of drones was minimal and mostly being done at higher levels.  That changed dramatically soon after we released CMSF.  So I'd have to say "no" to that.  We are also saying "no" to changing things we guessed at which turned out to be wrong.  In particular the Marines incorporation of M32 grenade launchers into their squads.  At the time the plan was to issue two per squad, which is what we did, but that got changed to one.

That said, we will rework some aspects of CMSF1 to conform to new capabilities of CMSF2.  Three things come straight to mind:

1.  reworking certain rifle platoon structures (almost all Syrian, German, and Dutch IIRC) where the real structures have 1st Squad as the Platoon HQ.  As you might recall, for a very long time (Upgrade 3?) the game required the HQ to be a Team, therefore we had to artificially break up 1st Squad into two Teams.  That is something we plan to rectify.

2.  Trenches in CMSF were baked into the maps and therefore had no fog of war or player placement options.  That changed with CMBN v1.00 and we are planning on going back and reworking that.

3.  a ton of artwork is being gone over to take advantage of masking and shader improvements made with Upgrade 2.  Big effort there.

Steve

I truss you Steve that this point number 3 is a huge effort. That is why I have thought that the inclusion of drones would have been possible i.e. a lesser effort. There is no 3D representation to rework, just 2D icons to add into the interface and the code of CMBS to handle them. But, understood, no drones. Indeed, not sure Syrian, German, Dutch or Canadian armies had drones in 2007 perhaps only US.

I understand the priority must be to adapt CMSF1 to CMSF2 capabilities. Thinking of it, upgrade to engine v3.0 had the possibility for ground units to fire at attacking aircraft. Syrians and Uncons have respectively ZSU-23-4 and ZU-23-2 on technical. US, German, Dutch and Canadian would need some stingers against SU-25. And, may be, Syrians and Uncons could also receive some 2K32 Strela-2 aka SA-7.

Thanks for taking the time to share the view of CM future, I am patiently waiting now. Patiently and actively, continuing to learn and experiment with CMSF1 editor.

Cheers

1 hour ago, ncc1701e said:

Indeed, not sure Syrian, German, Dutch or Canadian armies had drones in 2007 perhaps only US.

The Canadian army really started using drones for observation during the fight in Afghanistan. So, it all depends on the CMSF story line. If it is set in a 2007 where Canada has already been fighting in Afghanistan for years then they would have likely brought drones to use. We started using out own in Afghanistan in 2003 (before that we either borrowed or had the use of some from the US). For reference they were " Sperwer unmanned aircraft " see pp 7-8 of http://mdacorporation.com/docs/default-source/brochures/isg/surveillance-and-intelligence/c4isr/airborne-surveillance-and-intelligence-systems/historyuavs.pdf?sfvrsn=4