Lend-Lease stuff coming soon?

18 hours ago, benpark said:

I'm pretty sure Steve outlined the release order elsewhere. I am fairly certain that the CMFI module is next up, according to the flight plan. That doesn't necessarily mean that the RT module isn't being worked on, however.

Rest assured that work has indeed been underway on the RT module (lots of work). I don't know when and how Steve wants to go into detail about any of the features and progress, but I'm sure "when it is ready" to be discussed in more particular detail, it will be.

Yes, we can savely assume that....Anyway, this is a hopeless discussion and a waste of time. We'll see. Fact remains that the communication is pretty lousy.

On 26/06/2017 at 6:24 PM, Aragorn2002 said:

Personally I don't post often, but I play CM at least once or twice a week. With regard to the future of CM, well, I still don't see another game that comes even near to it, so I think we don't need to worry about the future too much.  I still think though that BF could do more to keep us posted about the development of what they are working on. I don't get the argument that it will only lead to lively discussions and wild speculation. Nothing wrong with that.

I play some CM nearly every second day. I have all the Second World War titles, modules and packs. I browse the forum regularly.

One of the reasons I seldom post is that although I'm quite knowledgeable about history and the Second World War in particular, I'm not 'grog' and I don't that degree of detailed knowledge; and some of the posters here are frankly kind of hostile to those lacking their encyclopedic knowledge.

On 7/6/2017 at 10:44 PM, Battlefront.com said:

Not sure how the news came here about Chris' departure.  That only became official last week.  So here's the official scoop...

Someone in another thread mentioned that BF's programmer had left. I immediately assumed it was ChrisND since he hadn't been streaming and his last post was a long time ago. Sorry to hear he burned out on this stuff, I know game development is no joke when it comes to stress.

On 7/7/2017 at 9:30 PM, benpark said:

Rest assured that work has indeed been underway on the RT module (lots of work).

Great, thanks.

7 hours ago, Freyberg said:

I play some CM nearly every second day. I have all the Second World War titles, modules and packs. I browse the forum regularly.

One of the reasons I seldom post is that although I'm quite knowledgeable about history and the Second World War in particular, I'm not 'grog' and I don't that degree of detailed knowledge; and some of the posters here are frankly kind of hostile to those lacking their encyclopedic knowledge.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. I'm not a grog, a modeler or a hex wargamer and nobody gives me flak over it. I'm not even really an old-school Combat Missioner, despite the fact I came to Combat Mission from Close Combat in the hallowed days of 1999, and most people haven't so much as mentioned it, even when I go against the grain of popular opinion.

10 hours ago, Freyberg said:

I've seen that happen, but only very, very rarely. Usually in reaction to some ignoramus mouthing off like he's some kind of expert entitled to lecture those who know far more than he does. You shouldn't let that scare you off as long as you keep a civil tongue in your head. Nobody knows everything and the wiser among us are honest about that.

Michael

11 hours ago, Freyberg said:

4 hours ago, Apocal said:

I wouldn't worry about that too much. I'm not a grog, a modeler or a hex wargamer and nobody gives me flak over it. I'm not even really an old-school Combat Missioner, despite the fact I came to Combat Mission from Close Combat in the hallowed days of 1999, and most people haven't so much as mentioned it, even when I go against the grain of popular opinion.

Maintaining a civil and productive attitude goes a long way in this community, regardless of one's level of "Grog-ness", but you can't expect everyone to be accommodating, wargamers are an eclectic bunch.

It has been my experience lately that the number one reason for rude- , unpolite behavior on these forums starts when someone complains about some part of the game that they feel is working poorly or  is missing altogether and others disagree with that point of wiew.
These discussions usually starts pretty civil but have a tendancy to end up with both sides being more and more unpolite in their posts as the thread goes on.  The understanding of the opposit point of wiew is at times very limited.

15 hours ago, Apocal said:

Someone in another thread mentioned that BF's programmer had left. I immediately assumed it was ChrisND since he hadn't been streaming and his last post was a long time ago.

Phil is the programmer in question and he's been gone full time for 1.5 years and about 1 year from part time work.  It was discussed some time ago.  Short of it is he got a DREAM job doing AI programming and doing his part to assure that machines will rule the Earth sooner rather than later.  I would have kicked him in his rear if he didn't take the job because he is an AI programmer first and foremost.

15 hours ago, Apocal said:

Sorry to hear he burned out on this stuff, I know game development is no joke when it comes to stress.

It's stressful enough when working in a standard office type game development environment, but trying to do it remotely without burnout is very tough.  Working remotely in general is very tough.  Fortunately Charles and I are wired for it.  Even then we have our moments!

As for announcing what is coming out and when... well, we're working on that.  With Chris gone it's put a bit of a wrinkle in our plans.  Nothing is getting cut, but things might not be coming out in the order we had intended.  In the works right now are:

1.  CMFI Rome to Victory (2nd and final Module for CMFI)

2.  CMRT Module One (yet to be named, but takes the game through to the end of the war)

3.  CMSF2 which brings the original content into the current Engine 4 environment

We have several other things being worked on this year, but the above are the three we're focusing on at the moment.

Steve

@Battlefront.com It's always good to hear from the devs! Thank you for taking the time to read the forums and addressing some of the community's concerns.

I'm very excited about Red Thunder's upcoming module, here's to hoping for some gorgeous city battles and perhaps Volkssturm units, Onward to Berlin!

Edited by Xorg_Xalargsky

9 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

2.  CMRT Module One (yet to be named, but takes the game through to the end of the war)

If you need documents of the Soviet units for campaign - I can search in Russian site "Pamyat naroda", translate something. German documents are inaccurate sometimes.

16 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

3.  CMSF2 which brings the original content into the current Engine 4 environment

Thanks for the news and sorry for the bad news regarding Chris. His tutorials are very good.

Just one question, what do you mean by "the original content"? Is it CMSF base game only? Or, is it the base game plus its three modules?

Thanks in advance

15 hours ago, Erwin said:

That's wonderful news, Steve!  

PS:  Are you saying that the current CMSF content (mods and scenarios) will work with CMSF2?   (That would be even more wonderful.)

That is the plan!  In theory we can make it work and, obviously, we have incentive to make it work.  However, until we get right into the thick of things we won't know for sure what, if any, limitations exist.

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Cheers for the heads up Steve.....It would be great if we could get the old CM:SF (and dare I hope for CM:A) content onto the new engine.  B)

We don't own the content for CM:A and that pushes it way down on our priority list for updating because it would involve quite a bit of work with considerable risk the effort wouldn't be worth doing vs. putting the same time and resources into other stuff.

11 hours ago, Lille Fiskerby said:

Thank you for the info !

I am going to purchase all modules thats for sure and I'm very much looking forward to the CMRT module with snow on the eastern front.

BTW Red Army lend lease Sherman tanks would be awesome :)

Shermans?  Why not ask for Valentines while you're at it.  We always like it when people ask us to do things that have already been done (yes, that's a bone ;) )

15 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

Thanks for the news and sorry for the bad news regarding Chris. His tutorials are very good.

Just one question, what do you mean by "the original content"? Is it CMSF base game only? Or, is it the base game plus its three modules?

We're redoing all Shock Force content, including the three Modules.  We are also going to offer some form of discount to existing customers.  However, we're not quite sure about the details yet so I can't give specifics at this time.

6 hours ago, DMS said:

If you need documents of the Soviet units for campaign - I can search in Russian site "Pamyat naroda", translate something. German documents are inaccurate sometimes.

Thanks for the offer!  Yes, the German accounts of the late war battles is somewhat sketchy.  The accounts from the Soviet side are more reliable for this time period.  It is a shame more of the detailed accounts have not been published in English or even in Russian as is often the case.  I've passed your name onto the guy doing the primary research and he may contact you.

Steve

21 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Shermans?  Why not ask for Valentines while you're at it.  We always like it when people ask us to do things that have already been done (yes, that's a bone ;) )

steve

Yes! That is a bone. If you give me another one I will not ask for anything more this year. Will the Waffen SS be included in the next module for CMRT?

About John Kettler's question/comment (long ago) about OT-34s together in a big clump

"19th Tank Corps April 1944 Total with attachments: 25 T-34, 34 TO-3461 Mk IX Valentines..."

I'm reminded of US M10 TD battalions that over time tended to parcel out their TDs in twos and threes to infantry units as close infantry support. On paper it was a sold battalion of M10 TDs but they rarely ever functioned that way.

Edited by MikeyD

Thanks for the update Steve.
Obviously, all these is a great amount of work for next months. Now, I'm thinking in Rome to Victory module which is being developed since long time ago (first news about it in Xmas bone '15). Can you say us if its release is near or we still would need to wait a few months more?

4 minutes ago, Jumpete said:

Thanks for the update Steve.
Obviously, all these is a great amount of work for next months. Now, I'm thinking in Rome to Victory module which is being developed since long time ago (first news about it in Xmas bone '15). Can you say us if its release is near or we still would need to wait a few months more?

In my experience, Battlefront is not too keen on revealing dates :) it's a peculiarity of the game development industry. On one hand, rushing out a product to make a certain date can lead to poor quality and cut content. Conversely, you can create a lot of negative sentiment in the community if you don't deliver by a promised date... On the day of the release of 4.0 for Fortress Italy, it was said that Rome to Victory was only a couple of months away and that most of the work left was scenario/campaign creation. Chris' ailment might have pushed that back somewhat, but probably not by much.

1 hour ago, Xorg_Xalargsky said:

In my experience, Battlefront is not too keen on revealing dates :) it's a peculiarity of the game development industry. On one hand, rushing out a product to make a certain date can lead to poor quality and cut content. Conversely, you can create a lot of negative sentiment in the community if you don't deliver by a promised date... On the day of the release of 4.0 for Fortress Italy, it was said that Rome to Victory was only a couple of months away and that most of the work left was scenario/campaign creation. Chris' ailment might have pushed that back somewhat, but probably not by much.

I know and I don't search an exact date. The origin of my inquiry is this, BF spoke that last italian module would be launched short time after upgrade 4.0 and BS mission pack. all this was 3-4 months ago, so I've the doubt about if next module is coming soon or in some time more.
I'm prefectly conscious that the computers games development world usually doesn't give release dates and it's perfectly understandable, but if the develpment is very advanced (and BF said that the works was already beginning in December'15), they know approximately when the game will be finished.

8 minutes ago, Jumpete said:

The origin of my inquiry is this, BF spoke that last italian module would be launched short time after upgrade 4.0 and BS mission pack. all this was 3-4 months ago, so I've the doubt about if next module is coming soon or in some time more.

If I may provide some perspective, the answer to the question "When?" is always "When it's done".
Everything else is unfounded rumor and hearsay.