Jump to content
Apocal

Lend-Lease stuff coming soon?

Recommended Posts

I think the way it worked was that the commander of a T-34 with binoculars (& a radio) would watch the T-70s from a safe distance.....When the first one explodes, the recon is deemed accomplished and the attack may proceed!  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DerKommissar True enough, but then again generally I don't think that the Soviets were big believers in "tactical finesse," and would have required some additional training and/or a different mentality to make greater use of radios.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2018 at 9:31 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I think the way it worked was that the commander of a T-34 with binoculars (& a radio) would watch the T-70s from a safe distance.....When the first one explodes, the recon is deemed accomplished and the attack may proceed!  ;)

That's pretty much how I use them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nice thing about T-70's (at least according to my CM1 data window) is that it has a heavily armored front turret and is almost invulnerable when hull-down to most early war Axis tanks.  Not sure if that reflect RL at the time.  But, am having a great time with doing just that with em in a huge CM1 tourney scenario am playing H2H.  CM1 also has em moving quite fast.  So, maybe some realism issues there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

Are these the ones that were sunk due to u-boat attacks?

Yep, Kriegsmarine managed to sink one patrol ship and transport "Thomas Donaldson".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, HUSKER2142 said:

Yep, Kriegsmarine managed to sink one patrol ship and transport "Thomas Donaldson".

These Shermans are in Vladivostok.  U-boats?

Edited by 76mm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Now, but where did they go down?

The Russian video says that the tanks went down in the Donaldson, so I guess that's it.  Hard to believe that the Russians shipped these tanks more than 10,000 kilometers!

Edited by 76mm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 76mm said:

The Russian video says that the tanks went down in the Donaldson, so I guess that's it.  Hard to believe that the Russians shipped these tanks more than 10,000 kilometers!

This is also an interesting question, what the hell to send across the country. Perhaps because in Eastern Military District there are no shermans for parades. And there they immediately decided to restore them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Personally I don't post often, but I play CM at least once or twice a week. With regard to the future of CM, well, I still don't see another game that comes even near to it, so I think we don't need to worry about the future too much.  I still think though that BF could do more to keep us posted about the development of what they are working on. I don't get the argument that it will only lead to lively discussions and wild speculation. Nothing wrong with that.

Exactly Aragorn, with fewer people active and less mods coming out battlefront should be trying to retain their customer base and attract new members, especially as to own all titles is fairly expensive to most of us. Unfortunately it seems battlefront no longer listens to their customers and will just continue to do as they will, with little or no regard for the paying public. It makes me sad, is this is by far the best wargame out there, and could be so much more.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2018 at 3:06 AM, slippy said:

Exactly Aragorn, with fewer people active and less mods coming out battlefront should be trying to retain their customer base and attract new members, especially as to own all titles is fairly expensive to most of us. Unfortunately it seems battlefront no longer listens to their customers and will just continue to do as they will, with little or no regard for the paying public. It makes me sad, is this is by far the best wargame out there, and could be so much more.

That is a pretty harsh assessment of a 2 person team. How did you come to the determination that they were no longer listening versus just really busy?  Periodically we get these “BF really hates their users” posts and they just don’t add up.  You don’t produce this game with just a couple people who could make much more elsewnere if they really had this level of regard for their client base.  They just don’t think the constant cries for a regular information cycle are near as important as some folks try to claim they are.

BF has for a very very long time expressly said they do not believe in giving constant updates if they don’t have anything important to note. This is not at all new behavior and is a simple reflection of their work priorities. Would we all like more info, yes. What I don’t need is monthly updates that are just - “nothing much new here..... still working on stuff.  See you next month”  I personally prefer that they focus on producing and letting me know if there is something significant  it isn’t gonna change my life to know that 4.0 patch might be out next week versus a month from next week.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess that this discussion on information sharing  could go on forever ;)...But i can't help but to feel that  a simply - all work - approach might not be the best way...

Take this 2 person team...I admit i don't know what kind of working hours these guys keep but if it is a pretty normal 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week...

During a month these two guys would rack up something like 330+ hours.

Why not 'work' 228 of those or something...and spend 2 hours a months for  some simple development update...

It seems pretty obvious that quite alot of people over here would find that...'customer friendly' :)

Doing this...During a period of 8 months they would loose - ONE ! - working day each...That has to be doable...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might be doable but if they give that day up to provide little useful info then what would be the point? To make us feel gratified that they stop to say hi? And no I don’t think they keep very normal hours :P

and let’s be realistic. It wouldn’t be just a quick news post. Folks will invariably ask questions expect responses, complain it isn’t enough info etc. it is never as simple as folks suggest here. 

Edited by sburke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does not have to be 'the most useful' piece of information in every update...

Some pics from the upcoming modules, some listings of scenarios/Campaigns finished...that will be included in the upcomming Products...

Some kind of information on what they are currently working on...etc...and when possible...some updated release estimates...;)

As it is now...We have no idea...The patch for example might 'magically' show up before the end of this week or it might be another 6 months or something...

For the comunity scenario desigers such information would be useful...

Getting some Pictures and scenario listings and stuff will also give us something to discuss over here....That would be a good thing...The forum is pretty quiet right now...

With regards to questions and complaining...Maybe the beta testers could be allowed to answer the simpler (not game-Engine related) questions and also be able to 'bring' the more serious question to Steves attention...It would perhaps not be all that neccesary for HIM to follow the discussion every day...B)

And complaining...Yeah...maybe. But there is 'complaining' now to...about lack of information...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RepsolCBR said:

Why not 'work' 228 of those or something...and spend 2 hours a months for  some simple development update...

It seems pretty obvious that quite alot of people over here would find that...'customer friendly' :)

LOL. I don't dispute you math. I don't dispute that a lot of people here would like it. But I will add that an equal or perhaps larger number of people here would complain about it and find room to criticize anything that they did post. :) Add to that that the total number of members here is but a small percentage of their total customer base (most customers don't spend time on these forums). Throw in consideration for "what part of the job do you enjoy doing" and "why exactly would you spend time doing something you don't enjoy that would not satisfy a majority of active posters anyway" especially if spending that time would take away work that would benefit paying customers who are not active forum members. And you might reach a different conclusion - namely that those are not hours well spent at all.

Please not I am not presuming to speak to what BFC might enjoy or not enjoy just pointing out some additional considerations that you omitted from your initial analysis. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep it up, Mr. Burke and Ian, and before you know it, someone will call youse guys "Fanboys"! (Thought it best came from a friend, lol.)

And I really doubt BFC puts in a straight 40 hour work week. I don't know any self-employed business people who can afford to put in a mere 40/week. More like 60-70.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

Keep it up, Mr. Burke and Ian, and before you know it, someone will call youse guys "Fanboys"! (Thought it best came from a friend, lol.)

And I really doubt BFC puts in a straight 40 hour work week. I don't know any self-employed business people who can afford to put in a mere 40/week. More like 60-70.

Lol nah everyone so far is good, no ranting or name calling.  I can understand folks wanting more info, comes from a love of the game. I am just not sure Steve could really satisfy the desire for interaction.  And who knows, Steve could start posting tomorrow on updates etc it is just good to keep perspective that they just aren’t equipped to spend that much time on community communications. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

Keep it up, Mr. Burke and Ian, and before you know it, someone will call youse guys "Fanboys"! (Thought it best came from a friend, lol.)

21 minutes ago, sburke said:

Lol nah everyone so far is good, no ranting or name calling.  

Hee, it has been a while though. I think we might be due. Or perhaps I have put all the likely culprits on my ignore list so I haven't noticed :D

21 minutes ago, sburke said:

I can understand folks wanting more info, comes from a love of the game. I am just not sure Steve could really satisfy the desire for interaction.

Yes for sure, I totally get it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather eat a fully cooked meal than one that is raw in the middle that "looks okay from the outside".

I've got the RT module well underway- The module is being worked on nearly every day, and has been for well over a year now. But there is still more to be done in order to show people something that incorporates the cool new stuff. Otherwise you get weird, untextured bits, bugs and weird game behaviors when you weren't prepared to show something. THAT causes problems, and opens up questions that are really a waste of everyone's time, because that's not how the game will look by release. 

Getting everything slotted in, in the right way takes a loooooong time and is a huge amount of effort, to say nothing of- planning the module, making the maps (the maps!), making the campaigns, building the scenarios, testing, 2D artwork, 3D artwork, testing, testing, TESTING everything. And so on.

PR may not seem to be the main effort (the crew is too small for that now)- but the games are. That may put some people off that like updates, and I do get it- but within reason. We all like to see the new stuff, I'm the same in that respect.

Really- I would love to show off some things we have nearly done or are complete. But there are other parts that aren't slotted in or in progress, so it would screw everyone up to see them in that state- and give an inaccurate representation of a huge amount of effort. I'm sure Steve would respond "When it's ready....", which is the best, most honest answer that can be given. You can take that as frustrating, or as a truly honest answer- but it is indeed the truth, regardless.

I think I've said all I can say at the moment. Hang in there. The games are coming, and the extra time isn't being wasted. There is constant work being done, to a very high standard on every aspect of the various BFC endevors.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2018 at 2:32 AM, Michael Emrys said:

I decided to do a little research. The Thomas Donaldson  went down on the way to Murmansk. Particulars can be found here: https://uboat.net/allies/merchants/ship/3475.html

More info here: https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?31297

Michael

My impression was that by 1945 we weren't sending them stuff anymore.  And the U-boats were kaput.  Interesting...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, benpark said:

I'd rather eat a fully cooked meal than one that is raw in the middle that "looks okay from the outside".

I've got the RT module well underway- The module is being worked on nearly every day, and has been for well over a year now. But there is still more to be done in order to show people something that incorporates the cool new stuff. Otherwise you get weird, untextured bits, bugs and weird game behaviors when you weren't prepared to show something. THAT causes problems, and opens up questions that are really a waste of everyone's time, because that's not how the game will look by release. 

Getting everything slotted in, in the right way takes a loooooong time and is a huge amount of effort, to say nothing of- planning the module, making the maps (the maps!), making the campaigns, building the scenarios, testing, 2D artwork, 3D artwork, testing, testing, TESTING everything. And so on.

PR may not seem to be the main effort (the crew is too small for that now)- but the games are. That may put some people off that like updates, and I do get it- but within reason. We all like to see the new stuff, I'm the same in that respect.

Really- I would love to show off some things we have nearly done or are complete. But there are other parts that aren't slotted in or in progress, so it would screw everyone up to see them in that state- and give an inaccurate representation of a huge amount of effort. I'm sure Steve would respond "When it's ready....", which is the best, most honest answer that can be given. You can take that as frustrating, or as a truly honest answer- but it is indeed the truth, regardless.

I think I've said all I can say at the moment. Hang in there. The games are coming, and the extra time isn't being wasted. There is constant work being done, to a very high standard on every aspect of the various BFC endevors.

 

 

Thanks ! :)

Looking forward to this module...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wadepm said:

My impression was that by 1945 we weren't sending them stuff anymore.  And the U-boats were kaput.  Interesting...  

We were still sending them stuff right up to Japan's formal surrender. In fact, some of it might still be arriving even later. And the U-boats were fully operational until Germany surrendered. Doenitz sent out an immediate cease fire order, but there might also have been a boat or two that did not receive the message that day.

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×