Crossing the Dnieper- where the hell are my BMPs going?

I'm playing through the Russian campaign and have reached the big river crossing. I've got my amphibious platoons lined up on the bank and pathways designated for their move to the next back, my artillery plan is all laid in and I push the big red button. All goes smoothly until the BMPs hit the water. Some of the platoons follow the paths I laid out and some veer off at right angles to their designated pathway, some climb back out of the water and head off down the bank to who knows where.

Is there something about planning movement across water I don't know about? I'm laying out Quick Move pathways that go all the way to the other bank. Do I need to add more waypoints?

9 hours ago, Green Clutch said:

Some of the platoons follow the paths I laid out and some veer off at right angles to their designated pathway, some climb back out of the water and head off down the bank to who knows where.

Sounds like one of those situations where you need to open a ticket and submit a saved game file.

Michael

10 hours ago, Green Clutch said:

I'm playing through the Russian campaign and have reached the big river crossing. I've got my amphibious platoons lined up on the bank and pathways designated for their move to the next back, my artillery plan is all laid in and I push the big red button. All goes smoothly until the BMPs hit the water. Some of the platoons follow the paths I laid out and some veer off at right angles to their designated pathway, some climb back out of the water and head off down the bank to who knows where.

Is there something about planning movement across water I don't know about? I'm laying out Quick Move pathways that go all the way to the other bank. Do I need to add more waypoints?

I had the same issue... then the game crashed and had to restart.. the second time around I gave a move command to the first action square in the water followed by a fast move to the other side of the river, and then did something similar but in reverse order for the landing.  No BMP misbehaved after that.

One thing to check is the bank conditions. If there is impassible terrain on the bank then the BMPs will follow the river looking for a location to climb out. Be careful where your orders on the opposite bank land. I have never played that scenario and I didn't fire it up to see - just a suggestion that could explain what you are seeing.

• 3 weeks later...

One cannot clear mines in CM2.  Takes too long in RL. 

Engineers can locate mines and mark them making them a bit more safe to move through.  Best is to move through em as SLOW as one can. 

Some designers will ring a minefield with barbed wire, or describe its location.   Generally, one will locate mines when someone or a vehicle gets blown up.

• 2 months later...

I can confirm that pathfinding in amphibious BMPs is messed. It has probably to do with the slope at the point of the exit but I have not been able to tell the patern. In general, though the river bank are shown as "passable"  the BMP will not exit at the predetermined path and will go around to find a bridge or other exit point.. and get killed

This makes movement planning a mess

Sherman Crabs should not completely remove mines.....Just read accounts from D-Day! 

With the mines marked your chance of setting them off is reduced IIRC, so this seems like a pretty good solution to me.....Fairly sure there's a thread detailing the behaviour of Sherman Crabs around here somewhere including comprehensive results for mine clearing passes.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead