T34 turrets not capable of facing to the rear

I just came across this oddity and checked the manual but couldn't find anything - but it seems like some T34 models can't have their turret facing 180 degrees to the rear. If you give them a armor target arc that in any way includes facing to the rear, the turret won't move. If the arc is just to the sides or to the front no problem. Did some T34 models have a restriction? Did a quick test in the editor and so far this seems to be the case for the T34 M1942 Late, and T34-85 M1944 Early. Maybe more? Maybe in other CM games? Maybe a bug?

Hmmm.... I just gave all the T34 types in the game a quick spin and all of them accepted a target arc to the rear. I wonder what's up.

Ah! I think I've discovered something! If you give a target arch that too close to the rear the vehicle won't take it because that close is outside its firing arc. Extend the target arc a bit further out and the tank can see over its own tail.

Good catch @MikeyD which prompted some more testing and it seems like if the arc is really narrow directly 180 degrees to the rear, then it can be close like 30m. But if it is wide, like covering a 45 degree arc to the rear, then it has to be like 120 m for the turret to turn. Is this really intended beahaviour?

Define intentional. :D

In the English sense I am sure it is not. But I am equally sure that there is *not* a bunch of code in there that decides if the turret can point backwards based on the dimensions of the cover arc. So, intentional or not the more important question is: does it matter? The behaviour is likely a side effect of code that is doing something important and quite frankly nothing that will be high on the list to change because of this discovery.

Well, it was important in the case when I discovered it. I had a tank sitting in a tight spot and I knew my oppo was coming up behind me. No time to turn the entire tank around so I figured just swing the turret around and I'll nail him when he appears. Only I set the target arc too wide to the rear and the turret didn't move at all so my a** got shot up. I agree not the most important thing to correct, but still, I like to feel I can rely on target arcs, especially for tanks as it orients their turret. Perhaps this is a problem in some other cases? Maybe it is even easy to correct. Anyhow, now it is a known issue and people should plan accordingly.