Russian traning

I suspect most every army you can think of is very much better (in some aspects) and very much worse than people generally think they are. That includes Russia and the US too. I recall the last time Israel attempted to invade Lebanon eleven years ago their ground forces' performance was so shockingly deficient that the government fell afterwards. The US, which has been tailored to fight insurgents for the past 15 years, found the lessons-learned watching Ukraine's experiences fighting Russia to be both eye-opening and alarming. It can be argued that Russia lost an advantage in pursuing its military adventure in Ukraine. Now everyone knows how Russia prosecutes its wars. Latvia will know what the appearance of 'green men' without national insignia means.

What do you think were the goals of Russian military adventure in Ukraine?

Also, I don't for a second believe that Russia fancies invading Latvia; But if "polite men" were to find themselves in Riga; it would already too late.

In general, Soviet military had always acceled in quick and relatively non violent takeovers of other countries; so Crimea should not have been a shock to those that are in the know... You can't drink away a talent - as the Russians like to say.

19 minutes ago, DreDay said:

What do you think were the goals of Russian military adventure in Ukraine?

Pretty basic. Just destabilize Ukraine as much as possible and make it difficult for the new government to govern successfully. The revolution in Libya scared Putin but the revolution in Ukraine hit way too close to home. It's easier to defame a government when they appear to be in anarchy so that way Russians at home won't get any crazy ideas about overthrowing corrupt ex-communist kleptocrats.

33 minutes ago, DreDay said:

Also, I don't for a second believe that Russia fancies invading Latvia; But if "polite men" were to find themselves in Riga; it would already too late.

Highly unlikely because the Baltic states are in NATO but when you border Putin's Russia and at the same time have a significant Russian minority it's best to be prepared for anything. Also, Latvia doesn't really have beef with Russia, unlike Lithuania and Estonia.

35 minutes ago, DreDay said:

In general, Soviet military had always acceled in quick and relatively non violent takeovers of other countries; so Crimea should not have been a shock to those that are in the know... You can't drink away a talent - as the Russians like to say.

Crimea wasn't really the surprise, it was Donbass that shocked people. That was very much a new one.

15 minutes ago, JUAN DEAG said:

Pretty basic. Just destabilize Ukraine as much as possible and make it difficult for the new government to govern successfully. The revolution in Libya scared Putin but the revolution in Ukraine hit way too close to home. It's easier to defame a government when they appear to be in anarchy so that way Russians at home won't get any crazy ideas about overthrowing corrupt ex-communist kleptocrats.

I agree, that was definitely part of the thinking; but by the same token - Russian government simply could not just stand by as their compatriots in Donbass were being suppressed. I they did - that would have brought an idea of overthrow in Kremlin much more so than corruption or bureaucracy.

Highly unlikely because the Baltic states are in NATO but when you border Putin's Russia and at the same time have a significant Russian minority it's best to be prepared for anything. Also, Latvia doesn't really have beef with Russia, unlike Lithuania and Estonia.

Or you know, maybe they could try giving common civil rights to their Russian minority and try to get along with Russia? It's not going away anywhere any time soon, you know..

Crimea wasn't really the surprise, it was Donbass that shocked people. That was very much a new one.

I agree. It appears to me that absolutely nobody knew what to expect there; least of all Strelkov...

2 hours ago, DreDay said:

Russian government simply could not just stand by as their compatriots in Donbass were being suppressed.

In what way? There were no issues before unidentified armed masked men started seizing police stations. Would love some examples of 'suppression'.

2 hours ago, DreDay said:

maybe they could try giving common civil rights to their Russian minority and try to get along with Russia?

May I ask what rights are they lacking? :) And in the case of Lithuania it's difficult to make friends with a nation that despises your independence. 

1 hour ago, JUAN DEAG said:

In what way? There were no issues before unidentified armed masked men started seizing police stations. Would love some examples of 'suppression'.

Oh I don't know - calling them scum and having exhibits that present them as degenerates. Sending busloads of young radicals to reason with them by means of assaulting them. Ignoring their holidays. Renaming the boulevards of their heroes that defeated fascism to Nazi sympathizers. Having a quota on how much TV time can be spoken in their language (when 75% of the country speaks the same language); bombing the **** out of their cities; arresting their leaders, assaulting and humiliating their leaders that had attempted to run for election. Oh, and didn't the seizures of police stations start by their opponents in East and then Central Ukraine first? In a way you are right I guess, everything was fine before the nationalists had started illegally ceasing the power. But I forget, this is coming from a person that thinks that bombing Libya has turned out well and wishes them on to others...

May I ask what rights are they lacking? :) And in the case of Lithuania it's difficult to make friends with a nation that despises your independence. 

Who the hell despises Lithuania's independence? What planet are you from?

Edited by DreDay

17 hours ago, DreDay said:

Who the hell despises Lithuania's independence? What planet are you from?

Russia. In 1991 Russia briefly occupied Lithuania in protest of their declaration of independence and only left because of international pressure. Lithuania was the only country that Russia didn't want to leave the union. Probably for access to Kaliningrad.

calling them scum and having exhibits that present them as degenerates. Sending busloads of young radicals to reason with them by means of assaulting them.

This is just straight TV Zvezda propaganda. If you've ever been to Ukraine you would know that this is far from reality.

Ignoring their holidays.

Ukraine still celebrates Soviet holidays, you muppet.

Renaming the boulevards of their heroes that defeated fascism to Nazi sympathizers.

Would love just one example. Just one.

Having a quota on how much TV time can be spoken in their language (when 75% of the country speaks the same language)

This quota doesn't exist. Many mainstream Ukrainian TV channels, such as ICTV, speak Russian exclusively.

bombing the **** out of their cities

The Ukrainian army has a strict ROE regarding cities with large populations like Donetsk and Luhansk so that's why they don't appear to be damaged despite being only kilometers from the front. (You should know this).

arresting their leaders, assaulting and humiliating their leaders that had attempted to run for election

There were no local elections scheduled for 2014 so that is a gap in logic. But if you mean just politicians in general in Donetsk and Luhansk from my knowledge at least none were assaulted or lynched or anything like that. You're going to have to provide sources on that.

Oh, and didn't the seizures of police stations start by their opponents in East and then Central Ukraine first?

No. I haven't even heard of this even from Russian state-owned media. What are you actually talking about? This isn't something that happened.

everything was fine before the nationalists had started illegally ceasing the power.

Repeat after me: everything was not fine before 2014. 

Any nationalists in the government were voted in. There is nothing illegal about getting voted in. 

Currently in the Ukrainian parliament there is only one party that could be considered nationalist and that is the "Radical Party" led by Oleh Lyashko and this party only controls 21 out of the 450 seats in parliament (so like 4-5% public support). Furthermore, the Radical Party is far-left and has good opinions of Soviet Union and thinks the US is an evil empire (so there's that :)).

18 hours ago, DreDay said:

But I forget, this is coming from a person that thinks that bombing Libya has turned out well and wishes them on to others...

I've never said this in my life. Please don't mischaracterize my views, that's called libel and it is illegal in some countries.

--------------------------------------------

P.S. A good lesson to take from this exchange is that Russian TV is not an accurate reflection of reality.

Oh, I know how this discussion will go on. JUAN DEAD says "This is lie, this is lie, this is lie. You repeat Putin propaganda!" DreDay will argue, giving Russian sources that noone there can read, They will write 2-3 pages, than comes Steve, confirms the accusations of posting Putin's propaganda and asks DreDay to stop. Did I save your time?

20 hours ago, JUAN DEAG said:

The Ukrainian army has a strict ROE regarding cities with large populations like Donetsk and Luhansk so that's why they don't appear to be damaged despite being only kilometers from the front. (You should know this).

That was too thick. Really.

2 hours ago, DMS said:

giving Russian sources that noone there can read

Where did he do this exactly?

2 hours ago, DMS said:

That was too thick. Really.

Yeah it is obvious. Much like you, he doesn't seem to know much about Ukraine so I thought I'd put some basic facts out there.

----------------------------------------

Listen. This thread is derailed enough so I'm not going to argue with you anymore. I can't change what you think you know about Ukraine because you already have your pre-conceived notions that come from an obvious source. Just don't whine when your claims turn out to be "lies" and double back repeatedly because the narrative doesn't quite stick.