Sexual harassment (and worse) in gaming

slysniper,

Wonderful combination of experience and insight you've shared with us!

BletchleyGeek,

You're most welcome--on both counts! Besides, it's nice to know some good can come even from my domestic assault.

StieliAlpha,

Point taken, and I'm thrilled this post is getting real and generally serious response.

para,

Glad you find it so, and you're most welcome.

Regards.

John Kettler

2 hours ago, John Kettler said:

StieliAlpha,

Point taken, and I'm thrilled this post is getting real and generally serious response.

Yes, with some hindsight, I am surprised that the topic has never been discussed here.

And, yes, I am quite happy with the discussion, too. I was a little upset yesterday, when it seemed to turn wrong for my feeling.

To add some content: I was sort of shocked today, when I did a little research to get some more solid statistical back ground. To be honest, to date I knew this harassment issue only from reading some newspaper articles and found them bad enough. But after only a little research, I began to understand, that there is a very different magnitude. Disgusting.

On 2017-6-4 at 6:01 AM, John Kettler said:

What she describes is a terrible reflection on our hobby

I checked out both the links you posted and the games mentioned in her blog post, and must say that everything other than Warhammer 40K is way too fruity for my taste. I did play RPGs and JRPGs back in the day so can't really go all John Wayne on this, but personally do not perceive the subculture that is being discussed as 'my hobby.' It may be different for the rest of the community if you folks can make time from playing CM for the fruity stuff as well.

I think the reason we don't see women playing wargames simply boils down to the cultural construction of gender identities. I do hope and anticipate that more women will join 'this' hobby as those cultural constructs change and women make professional careers in combat duties, though it'll likely start from popular games and take a long time to trickle to CM. We may get lucky with current professional military women getting into CMBS and CMSF II if Steve succeeds in pitching them as training tools - and there is no innuendo in that "get lucky."

20 hours ago, slysniper said:

if what she has brought forth is truth or lies. It does not matter

There's nothing trivial about libel. Her claim that a cop knowingly went on record calling her a "drunken slut" is a blatant lie. The incident that supposedly happened when she was 13 - I leave to your intelligence to judge. It would have been something if one pedo had had the gall to 'come out' in public, but it turns out all three men in the store were pedos... What is this - a paedophile ring masquerading as a W40K club?

IMO, she's trying to carve an online presence for herself by exploiting what I'll call, for lack of a better term, the 'nerd' subculture's sexual harassment problem. All the power to her - as long as her libels don't spill on to wargaming.

23 hours ago, slysniper said:

Look, stop making yourself look foolish by trying to point out if what she has brought forth is truth or lies. It does not matter

It should matter. It's about the fact that when people believe lies on the internet, everyone that isn't you or me is going to believe that ALL gamers are like that. Information needs to come from a reliable source, and I think that if we take information, it should be from somewhere we can trust. Unless you want the general public to automatically assume we are all pedophiles and ,murderers. That's how she makes it sound We can't fix a problem if we don't have facts.

Well I am with you in understanding when it comes to the fact that people can say all sorts of lies, and they will find plenty of people willing to believe those lies, and the internet is a great place to see that day in and day out.

But getting on this site and getting hot about the fact that she likely is not totally truthful in her claims  is not going to correct that issue. especially since you have no evidence to justify your statements either, just the logic that it sounds like a unlikely event from what we should expect in what she has spoken of.

Now, since we cannot prevent people like her from speaking out, weather lying or not. then the only thing we can do is speak up for truths that we do know and for what we can witness to as to what the hobby is and as to what we see. 

So, I am not against you in the fact that what she is saying could be false slander towards a group of people that might be unjustified. But really, do you think you are pointing out anything that will enlighten us as to if it is or isn't. Are we the ones that will have a unhealthy view of the hobby because of what we read in that article. 

So, back to the point why the post was made, is there or is there not a issue with certain types of games having a following of people that might draw to it a more than average number of unbalanced people that could be committing the types of acts mentioned. In certain RPG's I suspect there is.