individual soldiers names?

I understand you can see the squad leaders name of each squad and if he goes then the name will be the guy next in line. So my question is it possible to see an individuals name? because some times i like to focus on one group and it would be awesome if i could see each soldiers name. Any insight would be awesome.

On 6/3/2017 at 4:14 AM, Mark_McLeod said:

I understand you can see the squad leaders name of each squad and if he goes then the name will be the guy next in line. So my question is it possible to see an individuals name? because some times i like to focus on one group and it would be awesome if i could see each soldiers name. Any insight would be awesome.

Yeah, Don't get rapped-up in names...Your troops will not live long enough for you to worry about it.

I like names. Some campaigns are more conducive to following core units than others. Occasionally I come across a unit or team leader that carries forward and gets noticed for heroic deeds. Moreso with tank commanders because there are fewer and their campaign kill counts can really add up. I have to admit I start not unbuttoning those guys or risking them as much as the newbies. Not sure why.:lol:

Silent Hunter was great for that.  One could choose all crewmembers individually, award promotions and medals etc.  Very good for immersion and caring about your men.  A typical CM2 scenario features so many more men, so not practical. 

However...  If one could do that only for one's Squad Leaders and HQ CO's that would make the numbers manageable.  Of course it would be a different type of game.  Not holding my breath...

I guess the only way to know every soldier's name would be to kill them off in order of rank... poor buggers.

But then again, I don't know how Combat Mission handles the picking of names. Are the names of all soldiers pre-generated upon creating a scenario - like the name of the squad leader? Or are they generated (randomly picked from the names list) when they are needed - when the most senior soldiers of a unit dies?

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

However...  If one could do that only for one's Squad Leaders and HQ CO's that would make the numbers manageable.  Of course it would be a different type of game.  Not holding my breath...

I used this approach in KG von Schroif - all the unit commanders had an asterisk against their name so the player could keep track of the original unit commanders and have some sense of how many junior and senior leaders had been lost.

Mark,

I'd love to have all the names when I'm telling stories in the AARs.  As it is, I just give the other guys in the squads and crews names as the battle goes on, and then have to go back and change them if - but usually when - the senior guy is knocked off and the next guy is identified in the unit.  :(

I usually have the key players written down before I start, and then start adding names as the battle goes.  It would be great if everyone was already named - less book-keeping for me, heh heh.

I'm a big fan of George MC's identifying key figures and sometimes historical figures with asterisks by their names.

Heinrich505