is this game still a mess ,or just the demo ?

I played the ww2 versions way back,an associate owned it,and we played on occassion.When Shock force came out,i played the demo and came across all sorts of "oddities"..So i didnt buy it,and neither did anyone i gamed with.

Fast forward to now,and being extremely bored and not interested in most of the "new" games on the market,i tried the demo again and then found a new old stock copy for sale cheap.I bought it,and am waiting for its arrival.In the meantime ive been playing the demo,and im still coming across a lot of oddities.Really bad ones likes -scoring in which the game decides "ive won",when i only have one active soldier on the field of play,and hes in panic....while the AI has like 80+ % of its forces,and has achieved occupying all three objectives....which my one surviving soldier is no where even near....

..and other really bad ones like - the ai being able to spot and shoot thru terrain......and even buildings...

So my question again,is that just the demo,or will i end up throwing my new copy into the "yea,i bought it,but will prob never play again after the first few tries" pile....

Unfortunatelly Combat Mission Shock Force (and CMA i belive) have not been part of the continues updates that the other games in the CM-family have seen during a number of years. Battlefront are planning to release a new, fully up to date version of Combat Mission Shock Force (CMSF 2) i the not to far future i belive.

To give yourself a fair impression of how the game-engine  works at present you will need to try one of the WW2 titles or Combat Mission Black Sea if you  are more a fan of modern warfare. These games are using the latest game engine and have  recieved significant improvements compared to Shock Force. There are still some things that may not work to perfection but if you give the game a chans i'm sure you will find  that you will be able to live with any shortcommings that might still exist.

If it is a tactical wargame you are looking for you will find no better. It might take some time to fully learn to apprisiate the possitives of the game (wich are many compared to the competitors) but hang in there...
Don't just play it for an hour or two and through it away. Give it a decent chans and you will most likely come to the same conclusion  that most of us already have..
that this is the most REALISTIC (and fun) wargame avaliable.

And above all.... Take the time to read the manual...Check out the forums...Many gameplaying tips and explanations to be found here.
If you still have questions...post away in these forums and someone will most likely help you out asap...

7 hours ago, tkobo said:

<Snip>  ive been playing the demo,and im still coming across a lot of oddities.Really bad ones likes -scoring in which the game decides "ive won",when i only have one active soldier on the field of play,and hes in panic....while the AI has like 80+ % of its forces,and has achieved occupying all three objectives....which my one surviving soldier is no where even near......and other really bad ones like - the ai being able to spot and shoot thru terrain......and even buildings...

So my question again,is that just the demo <Snip> 

I play CMSF fairly often and have not experienced any of the problems you described above.  So it may just be the demo.  When CMSF was first released it was the first game of the new engine and had some initial issues.  Since then there have been patches and modules added. Possibly the demo didn't receive all the updates?  I never played the demo just the actual game with all the modules and it is one of my favorite Combat Mission games.

CMSF and CMA don't have the newest updates such as movable waypoints, Target Briefly, triggers etc.......... Probably within about a year CMSF2 will come out with most (maybe all) of the updates the other games have.  

However CMSF & CMA do have some things the other games don't have such as unconventional forces, IEDs, VBIEDs and civilian density. Also there are many user made scenarios and mods for CMSF that allow you to fight in many different areas besides Syria.  I recently played a historical scenario, Operation Barras, set in Sierra Leone.  There is Operation Neptune Spear set in Pakistan (The Osama raid).  There are many scenarios set in Iraq and Afghanistan.  I am currently playing a fictional scenario set in sub Sahara Africa.  

If you like tactical military simulations I think you will like any of the Combat Mission games.  If you are into modern combat you might also want to try out the CMBS demo.  The learning curve can be steep but there are always forum members willing to answer questions.   

Edit: I just noticed that was your first post.  Welcome to the forum.     

Edited by MOS:96B2P

The original CMSF demo was terrible.  Not sure if the demo has been updated.  But, the original version of CMSF was almost unplayable and a huge disappointment for us CM1 fans.

However, BF worked very hard on improving the game and CMSF greatly benefitted from numerous updates and improvements over the 5(?) years before CMBN came out. The latest CMSF version is 1.32 and I find it to be an excellent game. 

True, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the latest CM2 games.  But, I honestly rarely notice any omissions as I switch from CMSF, CMA and the latest CM2 games all the time.

I predict it may be years before CMSF2 is released.  In addition, from what I understand BF saying, the massive quantity of xnt scenarios, campaigns and mods available for CMSF will not be compatible with a new CMSF2.  

We have seen how the quantity of scenarios. campaigns and mods for all CM2 titles has steadily decreased with each new title. So...  the original CMSF patched up to v1.32 provides such value for money fun that I unreservedly recommend folks buy the entire bundle. 

Don't stress, get yourself patched, then look in this section of the Repository:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=select&id=3

Anything in that section should work with just the base game.....You'll need to add modules to use the content in other areas.

PS - Try the scenario 'Hammertime' from the scenarios section at that link, it's a personal favourite of mine and played as Blue it offers an excellent introductory learning experience for the modern(ish) battlefield.....George, if you are listening you need to be rewriting this one as the demo for CM:SF II it's very nicely done.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Just a heads up from me,i find the game much improved ,very playable,and fun after patching :)

I dont care much for the campaign structure though,i much prefer the old close combat campaign setups.

Edited by tkobo

On 6/6/2017 at 6:43 AM, tkobo said:

Just a heads up from me,i find the game much improved ,very playable,and fun after patching :)  <Snip> 

There are many great scenarios you can download for free at the below location.  (In addition to the link @Sgt.Squarehead provided)  Mods can also add to the game experience.

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/shock-force/ 

Have fun.  When you have questions ask. 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

Not all of the scenarios at Erwin's link will work for your game, you would need all the modules for that.....But I suspect you may already be considering getting them by now.  They are worth every penny IMHO, the amount of content you can access jumps by an order of magnitude.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead