MOUT and urban counterinsurgency (and CM)

IMHO it might be a good idea for BF to veer toward the 'Sandbox Game' style a little more with near-future modern titles.....Things are changing so quickly, conflicts can flash into being then die away in much less time than it takes to design a game modelling them.  So perhaps it would be a good idea to focus on building a coherent and above all flexible framework that scenario designers & modders can use to model these different conflicts according to their whim.

CM: Flashpoint perhaps?  B)

That BF is very good at coming up with possible locations of flashpoints ignores the fact that they aren’t actually trying to predict or replicate them. The back story for Syria is completely fictional and as they have said repeatedly is not meant at all to represent the current battles. If they wanted that they could just as easily have made it into an Iraq war game.  As to CMBS it is again fictional, but in the meantime Russia actually did invade Ukraine. It is however still a fictional game. 

Suggesting they design the game around potential actual flashpoints ignores that has never been their design modus operandi.

it does beg the question as to what any other modern title might be based on.  The safe option would be . . .  wait for it . . . .  . Fulda Gap!

40 minutes ago, sburke said:

Fulda Gap!

Great for the tanky types, but it's not really a modern title, any more than CM:A is.....I'd buy it in an instant though.

I came to CM:SF late after a long break since the original CM trio, but I get the impression it was a 'modern' title when it was first created (in the same way CM:BS is).

Winning the CMSF2 scenarios is based on minimal or no friendly casualties.  I really liked that aspect and am looking forward to that as the WW2 titles (and esp CMBS) are depressingly bloody.  Will be interesting to see how other players who haven't played CMSF1 will adapt to CMSF2 if they are used to the high losses of the other games.

True but we're looking at a full generation and more back now.....Showing your age fella!  ;)

As has been pointed out in a couple of articles, the current generation have known only the 'War on Terror', kids born after it began are already enlisting.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

13 hours ago, sburke said:

Suggesting they design the game around potential actual flashpoints ignores that has never been their design modus operandi.

it does beg the question as to what any other modern title might be based on.  The safe option would be . . .  wait for it . . . .  . Fulda Gap!

Here again, I think folks are getting jumpy and starting to stomp all over criticisms and "demands" that just ain't there. I personally am just spitballing. And it seems like S2 is just in the space of "woulden it be nice?" too (I'll let him speak for hisself).

Those dam' Kraut infiltrators are everywhere! Quick, get that baseball trivia going to flush 'em out!

Or to paraphrase the great Walt Kelly: We haz met the CMSF2 New Belligerents and they iz us!

Edited by LongLeftFlank

... Hey, you know, just spitballing some more, if we riff on @MikeyD's legendary "Lone Star Shopping Mall" scenario from CMSF1, we can readily achieve LOS to CM: MAGA, aka CM:DRAINTHESWAMP....

July 21st, 2021, Manassas, VA. Month 10 of the 2020 election crisis. Following the successful relief of Quantico, the left hook of 2nd MEF, skirting the Occoquan reservoir along route 234,  ran head on into a FEMA mechanised unit backed by 82nd Airborne paratroopers hastily airlifted into Dulles. With all nav systems still disabled by the EMPs that followed the 12th Recount and the Republican evacuation of Washington, both forces struggled to flank each other through the subdivisions that threaded the rocky hollows of Bull Run....  

Scott-anaconda.jpg

Whose Deplorables mod are you using?

Edited by LongLeftFlank

5 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Here again, I think folks are getting jumpy and starting to stomp all over criticisms and "demands" that just ain't there. I personally am just spitballing. And it seems like S2 is just in the space of "woulden it be nice?" too (I'll let him speak for hisself).

Those dam' Kraut infiltrators are everywhere! Quick, get that baseball trivia going to flush 'em out!

Or to paraphrase the great Walt Kelly: We haz met the CMSF2 New Belligerents and they iz us!

I don’t think I ever characterized it as a demand.  I was responding to the concept of BF chasing flashpoints.  As none of their modern games is meant to reflect any real life conflict it seems a flawed concept. I guess grounding folks in how BF views development of a game concept and backstory is just not acceptable when folks start dreaming . The Fulda Gap comment was a tongue in cheek example. BF has pretty solidly stated they won’t ever do it, yet it doesn’t stop me from wishing for it. 

"The additional troops will be ferrying international advisors safely around the country's capital city, Kabul, in their Foxhound vehicles in what has been dubbed "Armoured Uber"."

An admission that it's becoming increasingly perilous to move VIP visitors/advisors around the country.  I kinda like the sound of "armored Uber".  New market for them.  (I prefer Lyft, so maybe "Protective Lyft"?)

NATO have moved on from denial regarding the situation in Ghazni, they are now just plain lying:

https://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2018/08/resolute-support-obscures-status-of-7-ghazni-districts-as-3-more-fall-to-taliban.php

The footage in this link makes the actual situation on the ground (in the city) rather clear:

https://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2018/08/video-from-ghazni-city-shows-taliban-on-streets-as-buildings-ablaze.php

Is this stuff being reported in the regular media/TV etc?  Every time I turn on news channels for info about what is going on in the world there is never any actual news - just endless commentators endlessly arguing about Trump.  It's like real journalists have disappeared along with the rest of world events.  :(

21 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Is this stuff being reported in the regular media/TV etc?  Every time I turn on news channels for info about what is going on in the world there is never any actual news - just endless commentators endlessly arguing about Trump.  It's like real journalists have disappeared along with the rest of world events.  :(

I cited a New York Times article.  I prefer the written form of the “fake news” media. 

Yeah the cable news stations are bad / crazy news amplifiers too much of the time. My I humbly recommend the CBC's The National http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational (about a half our of, mostly international, news followed by handful of investigation, short docs or interviews) and or The Current http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent (a current event podcast / radio show that digs deeper into a selection of the current news).

Clearly those are Canadian but frankly The National probably gives an appropriate amount of coverage to US events and international ones as well. If you watched the first half hour you would be in good shape. Then The Current goes deeper into various topics - I listen to the podcast and just skip the segments I'm not interested in. The full time host (on holidays for the summer) is probably the best interviewer I have ever heard - she does not interject her ideas but she also does not let people lie to her. It's awesome listening to her point out that her guest just tried to pass off BS.

Yeah, Canada has produced some good journalism. I remember Barbara, Alan and the 1970s "As It Happens" crew, long distance dialing the palace of (entirely mad) Idi Amin or the occupied Tehran embassy.  Back when Canada was still viewed as a neutral country.

(This thread has really gone off topic into current affairs at this point btw. I am one of the guilty.)

Thanx for the linx Ian.

"I am one of the guilty."

Then you must punish yourself LLF!

(Helpful hint 13.34:  Telling my martial arts trainer gf that I am not going to leave my wife for her and getting beaten up is a good method of self-punishment.)

Edited by Erwin

This article is pretty worrying on the surface, but once you start to read between the lies it becomes downright scary:

https://apnews.com/amp/f38788a561d74ca78c77cb43612d50da?__twitter_impression=true

The UAE has just injected Al Qaeda cadres into it's entire Yemeni militia force!  :ph34r:

For every 1,000 fighters, 50 to 70 would be al-Qaida members, the mediator and two officials said.

And these guys are your allies FFS!  :o

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

This article is pretty worrying on the surface, but once you start to read between the lies it becomes downright scary:

https://apnews.com/amp/f38788a561d74ca78c77cb43612d50da?__twitter_impression=true

The UAE has just injected Al Qaeda cadres into it's entire Yemeni militia force!  :ph34r:

And these guys are your allies FFS!  :o

Well if nothing else it creates some potential scenarios....  :(  

This article takes some getting into, but stick with it, they do have a very valid point:

http://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/talibans-weaponization-moral-authority-afghanistan-part-1-3

The gravest mistake that recent Afghan regional analyses of the Taliban have made is assuming that the Taliban have simply absorbed, adopted, and then adapted the Pashtunwali code to the current grim realties of the Afghan shatter-state. They have not. Their warrior-code is not Pashtunwali. They obliterated that code and replaced it with a sub-moral syncretism, a witch's brew of naro-terrorism and a five-finger-death-cult version of Salafism that parasites off of the many different local interpretations of honor and warrior that had existed in Afghanistan before the Taliban usurped the roles of Mullahs, Imams, and all other moral authorities. The Taliban "warrior code" shares more cultural DNA with Pablo Escobar than with Ayyub Khan.

The Taliban have very efficiently replaced the traditional Afghan symbols of moral authority with their own ghastly interpretations:

Like many Taliban poems written after 2007, these popular lines also glorify and legitimize suicide bombing, an act that all pre-Taliban, traditional Afghan moral authorities truculently condemned as dishonorable and cowardly. The complete absence of suicide bombings and mass-casualty terrorist tactics during Afghanistan's war against the Soviet Union testifies to the radically different way that traditional Afghan moral authorities defined and expressed the honorable warrior five decades ago.

All very sad really.  :(

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead