Cant install Us 2nd Ranger Skin

I've tried in point du Hoc Scenario and saving private Ryan scenarios, i created a Z folder and extracted to there but to no avail, it still shows regular infantry, can someone point me to the right direction please?

Edited by Kumando

Possible issues: 

1) Numbering of the skin mods may be wrong.  (Have had same problem, but am unsure what the numbering system is for graphics mods vs sounds mods other than they are different from some reason.)

2) If the mod has a date appllied to it maybe the scenario date is not the same.

3) Corrupted mod.  D/l it again.

4) Other...?  Hope someone else more experience can help you.

16 hours ago, Kumando said:

Correction i cant install skin mods at all, they wont work, but i successfully installed terrain and sound mods.

Those are probably mods made with CMBN 1.0.  If you've upgraded the game then no uniform mod made prior to the 2.0 upgrade will work.  That 2nd Ranger uniform mod was one of the earliest CMBN uniform mods and was most likely made with 1.0.

The 2.0 upgrade changed how uniform .bmps were named.  So, the game will not recognize .bmps using the 1.0 naming system.  You can get some older uniform mods to work by renaming their .bmps to coincide with the 2.0 naming system.  However, the 2.0 upgrade added additional uniforms such as for NCOs and officers that 1.0 uniform mods do not recognize.  Thus, if you simply rename a mod's .bmps then you may still get your pixeltruppen wearing a combination of modded and vanilla uniforms.  (This latter issue is the most likely reason why some 1.0 uniform mods have never been updated because they would require a lot of additional work.)

There are quite a few uniform mods that were made specifically for the 2.0 version such Vein's and EZ's, but any CMBN uniform mod made prior to December 2012, which is when the 2.0 upgrade was released, will not work.

1 hour ago, Myles Keogh said:

Those are probably mods made with CMBN 1.0.  If you've upgraded the game then no uniform mod made prior to the 2.0 upgrade will work.  That 2nd Ranger uniform mod was one of the earliest CMBN uniform mods and was most likely made with 1.0.

The 2.0 upgrade changed how uniform .bmps were named.  So, the game will not recognize .bmps using the 1.0 naming system.  You can get some older uniform mods to work by renaming their .bmps to coincide with the 2.0 naming system.  However, the 2.0 upgrade added additional uniforms such as for NCOs and officers that 1.0 uniform mods do not recognize.  Thus, if you simply rename a mod's .bmps then you may still get your pixeltruppen wearing a combination of modded and vanilla uniforms.  (This latter issue is the most likely reason why some 1.0 uniform mods have never been updated because they would require a lot of additional work.)

There are quite a few uniform mods that were made specifically for the 2.0 version such Vein's and EZ's, but any CMBN uniform mod made prior to December 2012, which is when the 2.0 upgrade was released, will not work.

"The 2.0 upgrade changed how uniform .bmps were named.  So, the game will not recognize .bmps using the 1.0 naming system.  You can get some older uniform mods to work by renaming their .bmps to coincide with the 2.0 naming system."

Do you or anyone know what the naming conventions are?  This was asked b4, but no one responded. 

Am curious re the v1.0 vs v2.0 naming systems, as CMSF and CMA may use v1.  I was basing the naming system for all the games on the newer titles.  Now am thinking I need to change CMSF and CMA mod names back to v1.0 naming system to have them show up in-game...  if only I knew what it is/was.

The uniform mod you are trying to use is out of date. I know because I had the same problem you had a while ago. 

When v3 came out, the uniform names were changed. The mod you are trying to use is using the old names for uniforms. 

To fix it, simply rename the bmp file to:

smod_american_m41_uniform

It should now show up in game. So if you have 3 bmp files for uniforms they should be named:

• smod_american_m41_uniform
  • smod_american_m41_uniform 2
  • smod_american_m41_uniform 3

Hope this resolves your issue. 

55 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

The uniform mod you are trying to use is out of date. I know because I had the same problem you had a while ago. 

When v3 came out, the uniform names were changed. The mod you are trying to use is using the old names for uniforms. 

It should now show up in game. So if you have 3 bmp files for uniforms they should be named:

It worked do you know the naming for helmets and airbourne troops also?

So the graphics mod option system misses out the "0" and the "1".  Is that true for earlier versions as well?

I recall that sound options have a different naming convention.  If that is correct, what is the convention for sound mod options?

• 1 year later...
On 2017-05-29 at 1:15 AM, IICptMillerII said:

Im trying to get normal infantry to use airbourne uniforms. Renaming the files as described worked. I tried to rename the helmet files also but I couldn't notice any difference

The airbourne mod also contains 5 us-airborne-boots.bmp, 1 us-gear.bmp and 1 us-musette-bag-shovel.bmp.

Can I rename them to so they will work?

6 hours ago, Swant said:

Im trying to get normal infantry to use airbourne uniforms. Renaming the files as described worked. I tried to rename the helmet files also but I couldn't notice any difference

The airbourne mod also contains 5 us-airborne-boots.bmp, 1 us-gear.bmp and 1 us-musette-bag-shovel.bmp.

Can I rename them to so they will work?

I believe so. In order to get the helmets to work, you likely have to rename the model files as well as the texture files. 

Just curious, why bother going through the effort of making regular infantry wear airborne uniforms when you can just take airborne?

I actually answered this the other day, you must've missed the reply, Swant.

@IICptMillerII, The answer is in the link above. It's so confusing to me now, I can't explain it here. But basically it has to do with an old scenario and how unis worked before 2.0.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

3 hours ago, Mord said:

I actually answered this the other day, you must've missed the reply, Swant.

But as I understood it you told me to rename the files to the same as the OD mod I got from you?

Unfortunately I lost that file

4 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

I believe so. In order to get the helmets to work, you likely have to rename the model files as well as the texture files. 

Just curious, why bother going through the effort of making regular infantry wear airborne uniforms when you can just take airborne?

Do you now how to rename them?

Yes good question :) There is an updated version of the stock campagin: The road to Montebourg. For some reason the paratroopers are represented as regular infantry

19 minutes ago, Swant said:

But as I understood it you told me to rename the files to the same as the OD mod I got from you?

Unfortunately I lost that file

I gave you the file name in my last post. You must not have seen it.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

9 hours ago, Swant said:

Do you now how to rename them?

Yes good question :) There is an updated version of the stock campagin: The road to Montebourg. For some reason the paratroopers are represented as regular infantry

If I remember correctly the Paras in Road to Montebourg are glider troops. Glider troops wore the same uniforms as comventional American Infantry.

1 hour ago, Splinty said:

If I remember correctly the Paras in Road to Montebourg are glider troops. Glider troops wore the same uniforms as comventional American Infantry.

No there are both. But you are right about the Gliders, I learned that in another thread. I think that in the stock campaign the paratroopers get the right uniforms, but Im playing an altered version.

10 hours ago, Mord said:

I gave you the file name in my last post. You must not have seen it.

Mord.

Ok just to be clear, by lost I mean it is no longer on any harddrive. I have searched for it if that is what the file name was for.

If you hade something different in mind I don't follow :o

You asked what the bmps needed to be renamed to. After you told me you lost them, I gave you the file name " smod_american_m41_uniform" to rename them. It's at the bottom of the thread I linked above.

Mord.

Edited by Mord