Forgetting/Not Sharing Spotted Units?

I've seen this in a number of titles, but most recently in RT, so I thought I'd post the topic here. I occasionally encounter a situation where one of my units gets a "full" spot (with a complete ID and icon) on an enemy unit, usually an AT gun, but then that information doesn't disseminate outward. In other words, other units of mine don't get a "possible" icon for that unit, no matter how close or how well in C2 with the spotter, and no matter how long I wait. Sometimes the original spotting unit itself doesn't even keep the "suspected" icon after it moves out of line-of-sight. It just completely forgets that the enemy unit exists. Has anyone else seen a situation like this? Is it a bug, or meant to represent something in real life?

(This matters to me because when I play against the AI, I try to keep my units from area firing or reacting to units they're not aware of, which means I pay a lot of attention to C2 and information sharing, based on @MOS:96B2P's very useful findings.)

On 2017-5-19 at 6:23 PM, General Liederkranz said:

I occasionally encounter a situation where one of my units gets a "full" spot (with a complete ID and icon) on an enemy unit, usually an AT gun, but then that information doesn't disseminate outward. In other words, other units of mine don't get a "possible" icon for that unit, no matter how close or how well in C2 with the spotter, and no matter how long I wait.

So, this is odd. I see you mentioned later in the post that you are following what @MOS:96B2P wrote about C2 so you know how it is supposed to work. Saves of this not happening are what @Vanir Ausf B can dig into.

Sometimes the original spotting unit itself doesn't even keep the "suspected" icon after it moves out of line-of-sight. It just completely forgets that the enemy unit exists. Has anyone else seen a situation like this? Is it a bug, or meant to represent something in real life?

Just a point of clarification, once a unit looses LOS to a spotted enemy unit they should no longer have a full spotting icon. At that point they should switch to an appropriate ? icon. Over time that ? icon will fade at the information becomes less and less current.

You can also end up with some interesting effects. When you select a unit you see the battlefield from that units perspective. If that unit at one time knew about an enemy's location in a patch of woods the ? icon will be shown even after a friendly unit drives that enemy out of the woods and takes that position as its own. When no unit is selected you see some kind of merged view of the battlefield. Frequently that means that ? icons will show up next to your troops. But when you select the friendly unit near the ? icon it will go away since they know there is no one there.

(This matters to me because when I play against the AI, I try to keep my units from area firing or reacting to units they're not aware of, which means I pay a lot of attention to C2 and information sharing, based on @MOS:96B2P's very useful findings.)

Sounds like a good house rule.

Thanks to you both for your replies! I uploaded a saved turn at the link below showing the problem. @IanL, the problem is that instead of switching to a ? icon when they lose LoS, they lose any icon at all. You can see it in the turn if you click on the HQ Support Team of 1 Platoon, 2 Company, I/Pz.AA.3 at the beginning of the turn, and then again at the end. At the start, the team has a full spot on the ZiS-3 on the western side of the map, but at the end, after moving out of LoS, it has nothing. Likewise, the 1. Battalion Scout Team has a full spot on the gun, but the nearby Sniper Team never picks up a ? icon despite being within 50m of the Scout Team. One quirk I hadn't noticed until now: this applies if you're clicking between units, as I was doing while playing the turn. But if you select one of these units and stay with it throughout the playback, everything works normally and these units *do* have/gain ? icons for the gun. The issue arises if you ever click away and then come back, and in that case the ? icon goes away or doesn't get picked up. The icons also don't show up at the end of the turn, or during the following orders phase.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9hoz1igl1eq8xt8/AADLt-zNnSWdJcR1L5y9mAvxa?dl=0