Stryker gunners make me rage

kraze

Not really but close to that.

Battle Pack 1 campaign is focused around Stryker-supported platoons and weapons said APCs carry require gunners to expose themselves to reload and have no protection plates.

The issue here (that I didn't notice before because I've been mostly playing Bradley-supported infantry) is that their tacAI does not take into account gunners coming under attack and they will keep reloading even under heavy or sniper fire - which, of course, gets them killed really fast, taking whole APC out of combat and is the reason to play the campaign exclusively in real-time where you can at least micromanage Strykers by reversing them away from the threat and/or deploying smoke while gunners reload.

This isn't how it should be and it's not always possible to tell if they will get exposed too much or not - so it's only a logical thing for TacAI to force gunners to button up as soon as they are coming under fire and stay buttoned unless shots aren't coming for X seconds anymore. Repeat if threatened again until it's considered safe (X seconds passed with no fire). In WeGo that will at least give a player the chance to hide Strykers for reloading until the next turn and in real-time will get rid of the unneeded micro. Plus it's a very 'common sense' thing to do.

Can this be fixed, Battlefront?

You have the ammo count so as the mag is about to be empty you may try to take the vehicle away from the front line, shoot through the rest of the ammo and reload in a safe location. A defenseless vehicle with an empty mag in your scenario is not much of a help anyway.

Edited by IMHO

What use you gonna have to a Stryker standing still right in the middle of a firefight not able to return fire? :huh: Half of the enemy units have RPGs, even SVDs are able to do some damage... My instinct would be to hide the Stryker away - reload or no reload.

Edited by IMHO

That should be handled by TacAI like it does with infantry under fire. And in a way it does the same with the Stryker since it retreats when under AT fire anyway.

Taking a Stryker somewhere manually to waste rounds to reload the gun is a lot more ridiculous and unrealistic than an empty Stryker staying under fire for just a few seconds. Crew doesn't do that IRL, they will just stay buttoned up until it's safe or they are in a safer position - which TacAI can do and I imagine it wouldn't take much effort for Battlefront to implement since the game does almost the same in other scenarios for other vehicles.

Edited by kraze

I lost some gunners the first time I played that mission.  Lost em at less than a 200m.  Realized I shouldn't have been using the scout strykers like that.  Looking at em, the huge camera is the main weapon, not the mg/agl.  So I just kept em back on the next try.  They still ended up shooting stuff but I kept em safe.

Yeah the Stryker is a glorified closed top half track. Do not use it like a Bradley.  And that guy has to get his weapon reloaded if his vehicle is in combat. The poor design for his weapons station is an indicator that the vehicle is likely not intended to be used in the manner you are using it  What I typically do is have it start in cover, move forward,  pause, target briefly then retreat. It should not stay exposed.  I also try to keep it well out of rpg range.  

Consider it a truck. 

A simple fix for future iterations might be for the crew to automatically reload the Stryker's weapon any time more than half of the current rounds have been expended, but only when the vehicle is not currently firing and the vehicle has not taken incoming fire for one full minute.

Just a thought.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1. Try to reload under fire or stay put is basically a choice between risking one soldier to get Stryker functional and running around with useless wheeled piece of metal for some time though keeping the crew safe. Do you really believe in all situations you'd go for a useless Stryker?
  2. Say you're reloading an Mk19 IRL and you've left with an almost used belt of two grenades. What you gonna do in reality? I'd guess you'd through it away which is not so different from shooting them into nowhere.

All are IMHO...

Anyone seen battlefront info / Army evaluations on usefulness of M2 vs. M134 vs. M19 in real combat? Interesting what are the end results of trading caliber for ROF, kill radius for accuracy...

PS I mean practical results. Technical specs and applicability for different targets are well known.

Edited by IMHO

With Stryker's .50 cal. theoretically they'd be firing outside the small arms rage of AKs (and RPGs). But yeh, that never happens in the game. Same thing with .50 cal M3 HTs in the WWII titles. Try plugging away at enemy 200m away from you and you're gonna get shot.

I'm just saying for QB! I understand why every crew-served under the sun isn't a GL, and having crewed a HK GMG at work, I can tell you they're not all they are cracked up to be, but in-game they seem to help my dismounts push a position much better. That accuracy and aiming-to-hit delay means that they light up the entire woodline and not just the part where I've spotted the enemy. Usually that ends up suppressing enemies I haven't even seen yet.